THE HUKD MISC CHARITY SHOP (need help on this idea guys)

46 replies
Found 26th Nov 2008
ok i have an idea but i dont have the brains to put it together and make it work

is there anyone out there that ...A thinks this could work?
and ....B would know how to set it up? and C... someone to run it?

we all have things we dont want anymore like clothes, cd's, books, toys, ect ect ...
i normally take my stuff down the local charity shop ... BUT i would rather
set up something where WE on misc post our unwanted things and then the buyer pays the money into some sort of misc charity account ....
i know it sounds like a crazy idea but i really want it to happen
we could have some sort of payal account set up where the money goes into and then at the end of the year choose charitys to gift the money to ?
i would happily donate my unwanted bits and bobs to this
i dunno all the techy side to this but if someone knows how ?

think how proud we would all feel at the end of the year when the total was announced .... over to you lot .........

46 Comments

hey... I'm in!!!

Original Poster

dmh77;3569806

hey... I'm in!!!

i would love to make it happen dmh :-D i wouldnt mind paying the postage on things like clothes, cd's, books ect they are only light after all .... :thumbsup:

Great idea i am happy to help but due to my health i can't guarentee i will always be around when needed but will do what i can

Original Poster

dmissy13;3569818

Great idea i am happy to help but due to my health i can't guarentee i … Great idea i am happy to help but due to my health i can't guarentee i will always be around when needed but will do what i can

thank you missy darling :-D im in the same boat so couldnt do it alone xxx

I would happily donate some bits but I do think we have to consider postage costs - if there was a way round postage then we would get more large donations of items, I thinnk you would need to be setup as a charity aswell, rules n regs etc - great idea, will watch this post, let me know if you want any help

Original Poster

helcatamy1;3569919

I would happily donate some bits but I do think we have to consider … I would happily donate some bits but I do think we have to consider postage costs - if there was a way round postage then we would get more large donations of items, I thinnk you would need to be setup as a charity aswell, rules n regs etc - great idea, will watch this post, let me know if you want any help

thanks hunny im sure there are lots of members who would donate things also it would benefit us buying second hands things :-D the big deal would be setting it up ... i really wouldnt know how to go about making it a charity ... please let there be someone out there to help with the techy side of it ???

as for postage costs ...thats tricky ... thats why i sugested lighter items but maybe someone can think of a way round this ? xx

I have set up a charity and it's not really suitible for your idea. proceeds on the sale will go to charities rather than own charity.
It is a lot of work with constitutions business plans etc.
I think the best way is to ask people to put details in thier for sale thread stating the details of the charity sale people pay p&p aswell as the price of the item, then the seller passes on the profit to an agreed member/s who will then pass on to the charity of choice or direct to the charity.
I would sugest getting members to nominate charities and when someone buys something state the charity of choice and at the end of month or however long the one with the most votes etc gets the donation.

Original Poster

dmissy13;3569937

I have set up a charity and it's not really suitible for your idea. … I have set up a charity and it's not really suitible for your idea. proceeds on the sale will go to charities rather than own charity.It is a lot of work with constitutions business plans etc.I think the best way is to ask people to put details in thier for sale thread stating the details of the charity sale people pay p&p aswell as the price of the item, then the seller passes on the profit to an agreed member/s who will then pass on to the charity of choice or direct to the charity.I would sugest getting members to nominate charities and when someone buys something state the charity of choice and at the end of month or however long the one with the most votes etc gets the donation.

thanks for that hunny .... my whole reason for doing it is that i want to have a say where my money goes ... i dont want it taken out of our hands as such ...
i think your idea is better ... i just want to keep it a misc thing if you know what i mean ... see what good we can do for those in need

i was watching i thing on tv yesterday about kids .... well wont go into it but i thought yeah i would like to donate but i feel like my money vanishes into thin air ... same with a charity shop .... also i think it would benifit many of us .... espech if you cant get outside alot ... we would have our own little shop here :-D it might save alot of us money buying second hand items people no longer want... and our voted charity then gets a bonus out of it too ... i think the community feel of achieving something would be great

im in on this but who is going to be the trustee?

Original Poster

raptorcigs;3569950

i dont know .... but dmissy has already set up a charity .... she said she will help where she can .... i would do it myself but i havent got a clue with paypal and bank accounts an stuff :oops: i get in a tiz buying things online lol .... any one prepared to do it ? :-D

I say keep it in misc and and maybe keep it up to the seller to donate and get a reciept then no trustee needed it will work on the same priciple as the f/s section trust

Original Poster

iv got so many ideas running round my head about this lol

dhm is a cook maybe she could make the occasional batch of fairy cakes to sell for charity

im sure we have some crafts people out there who could make a few christmas cards to sell

i know its sounds daft but i could make some good morning or goodnight tags and sell them for a few pence .... person that buys it gets thier name added :thumbsup:

we could make such a difference .... im sure lots of you could think of ways to help xx

Banned

raptorcigs;3569950

Someone that can be trusted!!!! (And I can think of a fair few I wouldn't!)

Sounds fair in principle. Only thing to ask..... what will be the charity? I'm fairly sure that would make a difference.

I am in, I have so much stuff I need to get rid of and this would give me the motivation.

Original Poster

guv;3569979

Someone that can be trusted!!!! (And I can think of a fair few I … Someone that can be trusted!!!! (And I can think of a fair few I wouldn't!)Sounds fair in principle. Only thing to ask..... what will be the charity? I'm fairly sure that would make a difference.

well like missy suggested once a month ... or once every few months i dont know but we could have a vote ... and put forward say... 4 different charties each time then take a vote on who gets the money

Original Poster

fireheaven;3569981

I am in, I have so much stuff I need to get rid of and this would give me … I am in, I have so much stuff I need to get rid of and this would give me the motivation.

good on ya babes :-D im sure we all have stuff we need to shift i do for sure :thumbsup: and everyone else on misc benefits by the things we dont want .... i really hope i can get this working

Happy to donate. Great idea:thumbsup:

Original Poster

rosie2008;3570009

Happy to donate. Great idea:thumbsup:

thanks baby gurl :-D juss what to work out the wheres and whyfors :?

nicki3668;3570017

thanks baby gurl :-D juss what to work out the wheres and whyfors :?

I am happy to give my services too for as long as I can :thumbsup:

Original Poster

fireheaven;3570025

I am happy to give my services too for as long as I can :thumbsup:

thanks hunny xx im thinking one paypal account where it all gets paid into would be best but its finding someone to be in charge of it :? raptorcigs i vote you ... or dmissy :oops:

the postage would be on the sellar though so its real charity here .... cos i think selling to individuals might get to messy and complicated when it comes to the donation :thinking:

Banned

nicki3668;3570041

thanks hunny xx im thinking one paypal account where it all gets paid … thanks hunny xx im thinking one paypal account where it all gets paid into would be best but its finding someone to be in charge of it :? raptorcigs i vote you ... or dmissy :oops:the postage would be on the sellar though so its real charity here .... cos i think selling to individuals might get to messy and complicated when it comes to the donation :thinking:

I would think expecting a seller to fork out for numerous donations of postage as well as donating the item itself, may shoot you in the foot! I think this may be an achilles heel! (No pun intended!) Obviously some might be happy to go along with that, but I'd imagine a fair bit of donating may be lost as a result.

Just throwing into the pot... don't shoot the messenger!

Original Poster

guv;3570071

I would think expecting a seller to fork out for numerous donations of … I would think expecting a seller to fork out for numerous donations of postage as well as donating the item itself, may shoot you in the foot! I think this may be an achilles heel! (No pun intended!) Obviously some might be happy to go along with that, but I'd imagine a fair bit of donating may be lost as a result.Just throwing into the pot... don't shoot the messenger!

not at all hunny i want to know everyones thoughts and how best to go about it .... i agree it seems alot on the seller but how else could we work it ? i dont want it to flop before its begun

bit of a bum note but quite a lot of charities are just keeping the money, let me explain,
when i was in hospital i was chatting in the "tv" room and the subject came round to our jobs, one chap who was chatty before became silent and left the room sometime later i was outside having a cigy and he came over and we chatted the topic soon changed back to jobs(explaining why he left the room)he told me this: i work by standing out front of tesco/asda/morrisons infact anyware i can get a date for collecting monies for ******charity but i take out 80%for me then my traveling expenses and usualy send about £5 to the charity.

i put out my cigy and walked away,he followed realising i was not impressed telling my that charity shops he worked at are doing the same as that is where he got his idea from a hospice shop delivery/pickup van driver who was on a simlar scam

so due to this i only give help people i see in need and now dont trust charities but i also have my own experiances with some

Not me sorry, i am happy to help but have a lot on with my charity and surgery again next week.

Original Poster

raptorcigs;3570084

bit of a bum note but quite a lot of charities are just keeping the … bit of a bum note but quite a lot of charities are just keeping the money, let me explain,when i was in hospital i was chatting in the "tv" room and the subject came round to our jobs, one chap who was chatty before became silent and left the room sometime later i was outside having a cigy and he came over and we chatted the topic soon changed back to jobs(explaining why he left the room)he told me this: i work by standing out front of tesco/asda/morrisons infact anyware i can get a date for collecting monies for ******charity but i take out 80%for me then my traveling expenses and usualy send about £5 to the charity.i put out my cigy and walked away,he followed realising i was not impressed telling my that charity shops he worked at are doing the same as that is where he got his idea from a hospice shop delivery/pickup van driver who was on a simlar scamso due to this i only give help people i see in need and now dont trust charities but i also have my own experiances with some

dmissy13;3570091

Not me sorry, i am happy to help but have a lot on with my charity and … Not me sorry, i am happy to help but have a lot on with my charity and surgery again next week.

that doesn't suprise me sadly raptor hunny thats why i wanna do something myself i want to know my money is going to those in need and not anyone else ....

after watching children on tv yesterday that made me cry cos they litterally had nothing .. i looked around me and realised that though i dont have good health and live in a run down little rented house ... compared to them i live like a queen and i just want to make a difference ... i want to actually DO something to help someone less fortunate than me ... its frustrating cos i want this to work so much

personally i would trust you to handle my money raptor

missy sorry darling i am so sorry and i wish you well and good luck for your surgery i should have thought sorry babes xxx

nothing to say sorry for hun it is better to ask and get a no than not ask at all:thumbsup:

Thanks for the luckxxxx

thats bad :x, but saying that ok a bit different i no but the street charity collectors and those who also phone you are very well paid, i have a family member who works in a charity call center where there is 45+ staff earning £7.50/£9.00 an hour working on behalf of charity's now i no obviously they need poeple calling etc but that seems very well paid for me and there is no need to hit X amount of certain targets unlike when i worked in telesales

raptorcigs;3570084

bit of a bum note but quite a lot of charities are just keeping the … bit of a bum note but quite a lot of charities are just keeping the money, let me explain,when i was in hospital i was chatting in the "tv" room and the subject came round to our jobs, one chap who was chatty before became silent and left the room sometime later i was outside having a cigy and he came over and we chatted the topic soon changed back to jobs(explaining why he left the room)he told me this: i work by standing out front of tesco/asda/morrisons infact anyware i can get a date for collecting monies for ******charity but i take out 80%for me then my traveling expenses and usualy send about £5 to the charity.i put out my cigy and walked away,he followed realising i was not impressed telling my that charity shops he worked at are doing the same as that is where he got his idea from a hospice shop delivery/pickup van driver who was on a simlar scamso due to this i only give help people i see in need and now dont trust charities but i also have my own experiances with some

anyone had the shoebox gift thing from school? one parent got it stopped at our sons school thyey must have had evidence of bad goings on

personaly i would spend the lot on toys (trying to get the best discount i can)then take it to a childrens hospital and give the toys to the kids
oops starting to cry

im fat enough to be father christmas but instead of ho ho ho it would be wa wa wa unfortunatly

Banned

raptorcigs;3570185

anyone had the shoebox gift thing from school? one parent got it stopped … anyone had the shoebox gift thing from school? one parent got it stopped at our sons school thyey must have had evidence of bad goings on

Never heard of that one! What is it?

Points being raised are all true though. Charities are a means of employment - and much of any monies raised never reach the donators intended target. Harsh, but true.

Take Children in Need. You'd have thought Terry Wogan would donate his time for the cause instead of taking the fat pay cheque he's given.

Original Poster

dmissy13;3570162

nothing to say sorry for hun it is better to ask and get a no than not … nothing to say sorry for hun it is better to ask and get a no than not ask at all:thumbsup:Thanks for the luckxxxx

aww missy you need tlc yourself sweet heart xxx

im thinking if i cant get this working then i might just do my own bit by

charging people a few pence for the avatars i make and then donating it to charity and announcing how much iv made each month ect :-D i wouldnt charge alot but it would help others .... and they do take up quite alot of my time so feel it might be a fair idea .... i would at least feel that im doing something worthwhile then instead of sitting here like a lemon lol x

Original Poster

raptorcigs;3570197

personaly i would spend the lot on toys (trying to get the best discount … personaly i would spend the lot on toys (trying to get the best discount i can)then take it to a childrens hospital and give the toys to the kids oops starting to cry

:-(

awww xxxxx

Banned

raptorcigs;3570197

personaly i would spend the lot on toys (trying to get the best discount … personaly i would spend the lot on toys (trying to get the best discount i can)then take it to a childrens hospital and give the toys to the kids oops starting to cry

That'd get my vote. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

well looks like the only way around this is to

sellar posts item for sale
adding the price wanted
then the post and packaging cost

the amount they will donate to charity upon sale

and the charity they are donating to

each seller and buyer does it between the two of them
there would have to be trust that the seller will donate

and the seller could save all the procedes for say a month and then announce the amount they have raised ?

it takes away the big donation from misc idea but still achieves something

think about it ? you get to sell your unwanted items
buyers benefit from second hand clothes and cd's books ect ect at a charity shop price

and at the end of the day thier chosen charity gets the money direct with no middle man malarcy :thumbsup:

another idea maybe to choose X amount of charity's and all those who sign up/agree to take part sell there items etc and then all use a service maybe like chipin (not sure if its free) on a certain date we all put in what we have raised and its split, trusting a person on here to pay a charity just wont work as for every nice genuine member like yourself there is a scummy dodgy member who wont play fair, if i can help @ all i am more then willing to do so

Original Poster

Dub1;3570373

another idea maybe to choose X amount of charity's and all those who sign … another idea maybe to choose X amount of charity's and all those who sign up/agree to take part sell there items etc and then all use a service maybe like chipin (not sure if its free) on a certain date we all put in what we have raised and its split, trusting a person on here to pay a charity just wont work as for every nice genuine member like yourself there is a scummy dodgy member who wont play fair, if i can help @ all i am more then willing to do so

that sounds like a good idea if people will take part and as an incentive they could say decided on what percentage of sales will go to charity and how much they get to keep so its not all give ... they will actually make something out of thier sale as well as helping others ?

i know loads of people have stuff they want to get rid of and it would really benifit miscers too cos we get to buy things at charity shop prices as well as doing a good thing for people less fortunate

maybe im dreaming lol just seemed like a good idea at the time ....

Sloth/Mod

Sorry to be the spoilsport but before things go too far you better contact Admin as he put a ban on Charity threads so you could be wasting your time.

no its a good idea maybe all those who are willing to take part can just confirm on this topic and then a date is agreed and we put in what we make @ that time (now we just need to find a member who is trusted enough to look after the funds)

Banned

Syzable;3570466

Sorry to be the spoilsport but before things go too far you better … Sorry to be the spoilsport but before things go too far you better contact Admin as he put a ban on Charity threads so you could be wasting your time.

Good point - though thought it was more limiting rather than ban?

Sloth/Mod

guv;3570491

Good point - though thought it was more limiting rather than ban?

Found a couple of links from Admin...........i think it has to be approved and checked out first but not sure. But it didn't half cause an uproar.

However these posts indicate it's zero tolerance

hotukdeals.com/ite…=15

hotukdeals.com/ite…=25
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whey protien636
    2. CEX grading33
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person633
    4. What are the prices of supermarket counter pizzas?44

See more discussions