The HUKD Tech Discussion Thread | Mobile Phones, Tablets, Smart Home, etc.

Posted 6th Nov
I see loads of discussions (both on deals and here) on HUKD asking for advice, posting discussions about tech leaks, rumours, or just general excitement about a product. I think it would be amazing if we could have a general thread about tech where anyone is welcome to talk about it or give out/ask for advice!

Please feel free to discuss anything tech related here
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

22 Comments
@MrSwitch could probably work on the OP tomorrow but this is the thread
I want to buy an echo dot does anyone know where I can get one for just over £20 please? Anyone seen any Black Friday promotions advertised anywhere.? Thank you in advance xx
Holey_Moley06/11/2019 00:43

I want to buy an echo dot does anyone know where I can get one for just …I want to buy an echo dot does anyone know where I can get one for just over £20 please? Anyone seen any Black Friday promotions advertised anywhere.? Thank you in advance xx

You missed the Echo Dot for £8.98 deal I suspect it may return in the future.

My Black Friday predictions for Echo Dot are: Gen 3 for £24.99/£19.99 Prime members, Echo Dot with clock for £34.99. Those are just predictions but last yesr they did Gen 2 for £19.99 and Gen 3 for £24.99 so I suspect the prices will be £24.99 at the lowest.
Edited by: "jamie15" 6th Nov
Thank you so much for your help x grateful x
Holey_Moley06/11/2019 00:50

Thank you so much for your help x grateful x

Not a problem Also recommend checking out FB Marketplace/Shpock/Gumtree etc for Gen 3. All the people from the £8.98 deal are selling on, list price is commonly £25 so could probably be haggled down to around £20 if you find the right seller.
I don't know if this counts as tech but I want to buy a printer. These are my requirements:

• Individual colour ink cartridges (3 seperate)
• Print, copy & scan
• Wireless
• Automatic double sided
• Flatbed scanner
• Paper stores under not on top
• The cheaper the better (that's why I'm on here )

If anyone knows of a printer that fits the bill then please let me know.
notalwaysright1906/11/2019 01:09

I don't know if this counts as tech but I want to buy a printer. These are …I don't know if this counts as tech but I want to buy a printer. These are my requirements:• Individual colour ink cartridges (3 seperate)• Print, copy & scan• Wireless• Automatic double sided• Flatbed scanner• Paper stores under not on top• The cheaper the better (that's why I'm on here )If anyone knows of a printer that fits the bill then please let me know.

Printer still counts as tech to me Though that is not my strong point with tech. I didn't even realise until now a printer could have 3 different types of ink
Edited by: "jamie15" 6th Nov
Whata better Apple phones or latest Android phones. Also is OLED better or Samsung QLED.
," There you go should keep this thread active for a few months"
android and oled for me.
adamderak06/11/2019 01:31

Whata better Apple phones or latest Android phones. Also is OLED better or …Whata better Apple phones or latest Android phones. Also is OLED better or Samsung QLED.," There you go should keep this thread active for a few months"

As much as I believe Android is best, the last thing I want to do is turn this thread into one of those never-ending arguments!
adamderak06/11/2019 01:31

Whata better Apple phones or latest Android phones. Also is OLED better or …Whata better Apple phones or latest Android phones. Also is OLED better or Samsung QLED.," There you go should keep this thread active for a few months"

You apple soyboy
I have a question. Is it Jamie15? J Amie15, or JA. Mie. 15?
MrSwitch06/11/2019 20:17

MrSwitch06/11/2019 20:17

All but nothing at the same time
jamie1506/11/2019 22:58

All but nothing at the same time

Makes sense. Another question

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Jamie, quick question please? I want to sell my old handset to CEX after finally replacing it. Will a 'factory restore' thingy make it safe for me to sell? ie, remove everything such as personal info that might be on there etc? It's locked to Virgin, if that makes a difference.

Any help/advice appreciated.
Diegobound09/11/2019 18:23

Jamie, quick question please? I want to sell my old handset to CEX after …Jamie, quick question please? I want to sell my old handset to CEX after finally replacing it. Will a 'factory restore' thingy make it safe for me to sell? ie, remove everything such as personal info that might be on there etc? It's locked to Virgin, if that makes a difference.Any help/advice appreciated.

Sure What device do you have? If it's an Android phone, make sure to remove Google account first or when you reset it will require username and password again. If it's a Samsung device, you will also have to remove Samsung account - same with a few other manufacturers.

Locked phones sell for less at CeX. See how cheap you can pay for an unlock code from eBay or from Virgin. If it is quite an old device, you could potentially find the unlock code for free on sites such as Giffgaff Unlockopedia. If the cost of getting an unlock code is less than the difference between locked/unlocked buy price at CeX, you stand to benefit

A factory reset should wipe data and remove it from device, but of course there is always a chance of data recovery. It's very unlikely someone would want to recover that data so I wouldn't worry. I always reset twice but I don't think that makes much of a difference I suppose going through the set up process again makes sure that all FRP locks are removed.

Not entirely relevant but please remember to backup everything needed before resetting!
jamie1509/11/2019 18:33

Sure What device do you have? If it's an Android phone, make sure to …Sure What device do you have? If it's an Android phone, make sure to remove Google account first or when you reset it will require username and password again. If it's a Samsung device, you will also have to remove Samsung account - same with a few other manufacturers.Locked phones sell for less at CeX. See how cheap you can pay for an unlock code from eBay or from Virgin. If it is quite an old device, you could potentially find the unlock code for free on sites such as Giffgaff Unlockopedia. If the cost of getting an unlock code is less than the difference between locked/unlocked buy price at CeX, you stand to benefit A factory reset should wipe data and remove it from device, but of course there is always a chance of data recovery. It's very unlikely someone would want to recover that data so I wouldn't worry. I always reset twice but I don't think that makes much of a difference I suppose going through the set up process again makes sure that all FRP locks are removed.Not entirely relevant but please remember to backup everything needed before resetting!

Brilliant, thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply in such depth. I appreciate it.

It's an LG phone, very old in these times, but pristine. CEX are quoting £36 unlocked and £33 locked, so not too bothered about that. (I realise it's peanuts in the grand ol' world of super-duper phones, but having bagged myself a great bargain on here, this would be the proverbial cherry on top.) Just want to be safe when I sell it.
Diegobound09/11/2019 18:43

Brilliant, thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply in such depth. …Brilliant, thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply in such depth. I appreciate it.It's an LG phone, very old in these times, but pristine. CEX are quoting £36 unlocked and £33 locked, so not too bothered about that. (I realise it's peanuts in the grand ol' world of super-duper phones, but having bagged myself a great bargain on here, this would be the proverbial cherry on top.) Just want to be safe when I sell it.

If you can get a free unlock code then that's still an extra £3

Good luck!
jamie1509/11/2019 21:01

If you can get a free unlock code then that's still an extra £3 Good …If you can get a free unlock code then that's still an extra £3 Good luck!

Thanks Jamie. By coincidence, I've just recharged it and re-set it twice, following your instructions, to 'factory settings.' Didn't see an option to remove my google account, although I did reset my pin. Do you think that's enough? ( I did this without a sim card in it as the phone I have now is really awkward to get out. Maybe that's why it was a refurb/bargain?)

Oh, I did follow the giff gaff link you supplied, but it directed me to Virgin, at these extortionate costs....

giffgaff.com/unl…one
Edited by: "Diegobound" 9th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants