The lack of gamepad support for Android games...

Posted 23rd Oct
why is this ? especially with the ability to play on Android TV or sync up a Bluetooth gamepad to a tablet so easily.

so many really decent android games out at the moment too, for free! call of duty, FIFA, madden, NHL, PES... to name a few that I've downloaded recently! all of which are awful with touch screen controls...

seeks crazy that in this day and age we are being forced to use a touch screen to control games... it's such an off putting experience I'll probably never play those games again!
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

10 Comments
i can only say for call of duty but it was trialed during the testing and BETA phases and the controller had such an advantage it was unfair to touch scrren players they didnt have a chance so they have said everyone must use touch screen controls so its a level playing field.
Luckyluke0223/10/2019 12:24

i can only say for call of duty but it was trialed during the testing and …i can only say for call of duty but it was trialed during the testing and BETA phases and the controller had such an advantage it was unfair to touch scrren players they didnt have a chance so they have said everyone must use touch screen controls so its a level playing field.

I heard that mentioned before but surely it would be possible to identify users connected to a gamepad and then have an option to match them with gamepad players only ?
yeah it is possible but do you want to be running extra scrpits on users before matchmaking increasing load times and they could disconnect the game pad match make and then reconnect it just easier to have one app that has touch screen controls than all the extra codes to support gamepads i do think the same controller support would be good.
Bad idea. If you want to use gamepad then use console/PC. Mobile gaming should have mobile only controls as it is more fair for everyone. Maybe a bigger game could have separate lobby for controller users and block adding a controller mid game but most developers wouldn't go through that hassle as they'd prefer you buy their games on console/PC (excluding the freemium games like Fortnite of course).
Edited by: "jamie15" 23rd Oct
jamie1523/10/2019 18:34

Bad idea. If you want to use gamepad then use console/PC. Mobile gaming …Bad idea. If you want to use gamepad then use console/PC. Mobile gaming should have mobile only controls as it is more fair for everyone. Maybe a bigger game could have separate lobby for controller users and block adding a controller mid game but most developers wouldn't go through that hassle as they'd prefer you buy their games on console/PC (excluding the freemium games like Fortnite of course).

But surely it's a good idea to make them playable. I will never play any of these games again after trying them and seeing how awful they are to control!!
chrisredmayne23/10/2019 18:36

But surely it's a good idea to make them playable. I will never play any …But surely it's a good idea to make them playable. I will never play any of these games again after trying them and seeing how awful they are to control!!

PES is not terrible to play (for a PES game anyway). It's just a different experience. Mobile will not be as good as console, it's not meant to be. It is meant to be easier and quicker to play on mobile, especially on the go, so carrying around a controller is not needed. Improvements can always be made but adding controller support is not a solution.
Edited by: "jamie15" 23rd Oct
jamie1523/10/2019 18:40

PES is not terrible to play (for a PES game anyway). It's just a different …PES is not terrible to play (for a PES game anyway). It's just a different experience. Mobile will not be as good as console, it's not meant to be. It is meant to be easier and quicker to play on mobile, especially on the go, so carrying around a controller is not needed. Improvements can always be made but adding controller support is not a solution.

I love PES on PS4 and the game on mobile has brilliant graphics, but I couldn't get into it all! It wasnt easier to play in the slightest for me, just frustrating trying to move players around. It would play just like the real PES if they just added controller support too which is a shame! The controller I have is just like two joycons that you can attach like a switch, imagine if they said that all switch games in portable mode needed to be played by touch screen!!! If you have the ability to make them more playable then it seems daft not to use it! Maybe Google need to make official joycons for Android devices for it to be more widely accepted
chrisredmayne23/10/2019 18:46

I love PES on PS4 and the game on mobile has brilliant graphics, but I …I love PES on PS4 and the game on mobile has brilliant graphics, but I couldn't get into it all! It wasnt easier to play in the slightest for me, just frustrating trying to move players around. It would play just like the real PES if they just added controller support too which is a shame! The controller I have is just like two joycons that you can attach like a switch, imagine if they said that all switch games in portable mode needed to be played by touch screen!!! If you have the ability to make them more playable then it seems daft not to use it! Maybe Google need to make official joycons for Android devices for it to be more widely accepted

The thing is, most people play mobile games with touch controls. Controller support would only appeal to a minority audience, most of which would also have a console which means potential loss of revenue. The Switch is different as everyone would have Joycons or Pro Controller to use.
jamie1523/10/2019 18:52

The thing is, most people play mobile games with touch controls. …The thing is, most people play mobile games with touch controls. Controller support would only appeal to a minority audience, most of which would also have a console which means potential loss of revenue. The Switch is different as everyone would have Joycons or Pro Controller to use.

I dunno, maybe I'm a one off but I'd still play on consoles but would also make use of mobile games more if they were more playable meaning more profit !!! I play Mario kart mobile all the time as the controls are great, just a shame anything with too much inputs is unplayable to me
chrisredmayne23/10/2019 19:10

I dunno, maybe I'm a one off but I'd still play on consoles but would also …I dunno, maybe I'm a one off but I'd still play on consoles but would also make use of mobile games more if they were more playable meaning more profit !!! I play Mario kart mobile all the time as the controls are great, just a shame anything with too much inputs is unplayable to me

I don't think most game companies would see it the same way. Stadia will probably see more controller support though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants