Posted 13th Jan 2023
I am genuinely not a "victim" of tv series hype, but oh boy if I am waiting for this one!!!

If you never heard about The Last Of Us, it is probably because in 2013 you were not around a gaming console at all but in a few days, rumour has it, we might get the best video game /tv series adaptation ever.

Let's start from the beginning: What is The Last Of Us?

The Last of Us is an upcoming American post-apocalyptic drama television series created by Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann for HBO.

It is based on the 2013 video game that is considered arguably one of the best ever made and for this reason people's expectation are incredibly high - which will inevitably take to harsh criticism and picky viewers that will be ready to judge every single aspect of the production.

It is said to be the largest television production in Canadian history and it was filmed from July 2021 to June 2022 in Alberta, as joint production by Sony, PlayStation Productions, Naughty Dog, The Mighty Mint, and Word Games.

4068573_1.jpg

How Many Episodes and When Is It Coming Out?

The first season is set to have 9 episodes. We don't know for sure how long each episode will be, but we know that the first one will be 1:25h long which to be honest makes a lot of sense as the video game was absolutely jam packed of scenarios and information and twists and so many things to show the audience.

The series will drop on the 16th of January and it will air weekly in Exclusive on Sky Atlantic at 2am BST.
All episodes will air simultaneously in the UK and US.
It will then be available on demand on Sky and NOW.

As now we are used to binge watch and consume tv series very fast, it will be interesting going back to old school weekly drops!

This is the schedule for season one:

• The Last of Us episode 1: When You're Lost in the DarknessMonday 16 January 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 2: InfectedMonday 23 January 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 3 – Monday 30 January 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 4 – Monday 6 February 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 5 – Monday 13 February 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 6 – Monday 20 February 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 7 – Monday 27 February 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 8 – Monday 6 March 2023, 2am GMT
  • The Last of Us episode 9 – Monday 13 March 2023, 2am GMT

To be completely honest, I wasn't sure that transforming that amazing video game into a TV Series was a good idea, but considering that it is co-created by Mazin - that was the creator of Chernobyl (now he CAN create a sense of bloody anxiety on the screen ) and Druckmann (the creator of the actual video game), I am fairly optimistic about the outcome.

What is The Last Of Us About?

4068573_1.jpg
The story is set 20 years after a heavy Pandemic (ohhhhhh this haunting word ) where an outbreak of an infectious fungus turned humans into monsters.

Two decades on from the outbreak, the world has been torn apart and the story follows Joel, a hard-bitten smuggler with a grief-stricken past who is charged with transporting headstrong teenager Ellie who’s never known a pre-infection world, across a decimated United States to be examined as apparently she is immune from the infection. Together, they face monstrous, fungus-ridden “clickers” and transform their rocky relationship as total strangers into a father-daughter bond.

4068573_1.jpg

The Cast:

As a big fan of the video game, when I picture Joel in my head, I genuinely don't think the casting director could have chosen someone better than Pedro Pascal. He is an amazing actor and embodies Joel personality perfectly (you can already see it from the trailer).

I wasn't too sure about Bella Ramsey as Ellie, mainly because of how she is physically described in the game but that young girl has been outstanding in every single role she ever played so I am guessing she will be absolutely great even in this one.

For the rest of the cast, I don't really know what to expect but I guess we will know very soon if the actors are up for the challenge.

This is the list of the main characters and actors:
  • Pedro Pascal as Joel
  • Bella Ramsey as Ellie
  • Gabriel Luna as Tommy
  • Merle Danbridge as Marlene
  • Anna Torv as Tess
  • Nico Parker as Sarah
  • Murray Bartlett as Frank
  • Nick Offerman as Bill
  • Storm Reid as Riley Abel
  • Jeffrey Pierce as Perry
  • Lamar Johnson as Henry
  • Keivonn Woodard as Sam
  • Graham Greene as Marlon
  • Elaine Miles as Florence
  • Melanie Lynskey as Kathleen

The Trailer:

HBO released the Official Trailer about a month ago and as of today it counts more than 16 Million Views.

Anybody here is a fan of the video game and is waiting for this to come out? What are we thinking about what we know so far? As a fan of the game, I am trying to not keep my hopes too high for then being fully disappointed, but at the same time I have not been this excited for a product to drop in a long time...

4068573_1.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

211 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Why can't they drop them all on the same day instead of waiting each week. You forget what's happened.
    Just don't start watching untill the last ones about to drop, then binge them all
  2. Avatar
    Looking forward to this, but try not to fall for the hype after watching ‘The Rig’……
    I really tried with The Rig, but I'm pretty sure that it's up there with the absolute worst shows I've ever seen At least some bad shows have a redeeming feature like being mildly funny or silly, but this had none of that.
  3. Avatar
    Obvious ad is obvious
    Author
    ok usually I let go of these type of comments...but AD of what? If you are thinking about an AD for Sky Atlantic God I wish you were right. (edited)
  4. Avatar
    After he butchered tlou2 no thanks. Also lol at ellies actress
    Butchered how? It was exceptional. And she's supposed to do a very good job as Ellie so this comment in general seems pretty loaded
  5. Avatar
    Legit question - should I play the game first or what this? The game is on my 'to play' list ;-)
    The game is fantastic, but a lot is due to the storyline. I suspect the game will not feel the same if you watch it first.
    But that is just my opinion.
  6. Avatar
    Looking forward to this. The reviews coming in from early screening appear to give it universal acclaim. The characters are ingrained in my psyche. Ultimately the actors portray the story. The casting is controversial and it is to me because yes Ellie doesn't look like Ellie, but Ellie is a fictional creation and not digitally mapped from a real person, the same goes for Joel. For me it'll not rival the games, it'll not do justice to the games because it will be judged entirely as its own entity and it can co-exist with the games. It's just telling the story in a different medium and for that medium we need real people. So yeah I was initially nope casting is messed up instant ban from my brain.

A TV series will never recreate the immersive interaction of the game especially the second instalment whereby you are immersed in a world for 35 hours, you take a role in that world. A TV series is as I say a different medium and engaging in an entirely different way. So I have to judge this separately from the games, this will fail for me if I want a faithful recreation of the games, it has already failed if that is my comparison. I can't get the same experience from a TV series as I can the games, just not possible. So this is the same story but a new beginning just told in a different way and that is the way I frame it. Evaluate it based on itself alone.
    If you think Ellie doesn't look like Ellie, just wait until you see Sarah
  7. Avatar
    Can anyone tell me how Now TV works?
    As in, can u record this when using a smart TV or PS5 app?
    After the 1st episode has aired I know there's repeats Monday - Friday and on Sunday 9pm onwards but does it have an on demand option like on Virgin media boxes? So maybe I can catch up a load together
    on demand search for it and you can watch it whenever you want.
  8. Avatar
    Can i also get paid to shill this?
    Who’s getting paid to ‘shill this’? Explain please
  9. Avatar
    No spores, no runners, and looking at Bella Ramsey - no Ellie.

This is my favourite game of all time, I can’t bring myself to watch it.
    Would you rather an actress that can't act but looks the part of a fictional character? Are you really going to boycott a show based on your favourite game because they didn't mirror it exactly? Games and screen plays work very differently, they need to be different.
  10. Avatar
    Why do people insist on saying dropping it's so American . Appearing or showing . Nothing is being dropped
    No idea but I'll bet they say 'from the get go' too, which is just as annoying.
  11. Avatar
    Played all versions of the original and sequel. To say that I am petrified that they have ruined this, is an understatement. So many great video game franchises lie in the ruins of Hollywood!
    Serious question: why would it reduce your (obvious) enjoyment of the game?

I mean, I understand you'd like to see a good TV/Film adaptation of something you enjoyed, but I can't see how a poor TV/film adaptation 'ruins' a completely independent media format (the game).

As I said, serious question. Not mocking.
  12. Avatar
    I don’t play many games anymore but this one blew me away. Can’t wait for Monday and hopefully lives up to expectations.
  13. Avatar
    Thanks for this, like you I've never been interested in a TV series until I saw this.
    One problem I don't have sky. Do you know if I will be able to access this via a streaming service? Isn't SKY a part of NOW TV?
    Google is my friend lol. Yeah quick search and I see it's available on NOW TV from the 16th. Thanks OP
  14. Avatar
    hidden ads: being clear with your audience - https//ww…ers

"If you’ve been incentivised in any way to promote a brand, or product in your social media content, for example in photos including carousels, videos, reels or stories, podcasts or other posts online it’s important that all this content is clearly identifiable as an ad (or advertising).

This includes where you’ve been paid to post content, received a gift, or post content about your own business."
  15. Avatar
    The games are all time classics. Cannot wait for this, just hope it gives it the justice it deserves.
    Lol its netflix.
  16. Avatar
    Out of everyone in America to survive the apocalypse Ron Swanson was always going to be top of the list
  17. Avatar
    Hopefully it’s a lot better than the trailer portrayed.
  18. Avatar
    Thanks for posting this.

I'm personally worried that I got so emerged in the games story and the characters that even if this series is good, I won't be able to connect. Sitting on my sofa like a cranky old fart going "THAT AINT MY ELLIE!"
    It's a different medium. The game was your journey, as the player. This is someone else's journey, where we're just spectators. If you get what I mean. So it'll never live up to the game, but it doesn't need to.
  19. Avatar
    More interested in the Bioshock Series from Netflix.
    I would temper your excpectations. As much a i would like that, their adaptations imo have been less than mediocre.
  20. Avatar
    I'm a little put off with the characters not looking at all like their counter parts. But will give it a try
    Same.
    It’s understandable why Ashley Johnson couldn’t play Ellie, but why didn’t they get Troy Baker to play Joel?
    We’ll have to wait and see if it’s any good, I hope they don’t ruin the franchise. (edited)
  21. Avatar
    Top Secret!
    The Mandalorian on his first undercover mission!
    this isn't even Disney pal
  22. Avatar
    got my NOW TV pass already
  23. Avatar
    I'll wait for the remastered version.
  24. Avatar
    I've got my Sky box set to record this at 2am. I can't wait to finish work tomorrow and watch this! The characters don't have to look the part of their video game counterparts, they just have to have realistic acting.
  25. Avatar
    Some of the comments about the actress, grow up, chucks some dummys out.
    Really in the field of 'please watch the first ep then I'll listen to your opinion on this'. To make your mind up over a trailer is senseless, give it a bloody go!
  26. Avatar
    Sailing the seven seas.
    Need to delete some space on my hard drive. 2160p x265 is a 10GB file.
  27. Avatar
    Question is, do i watch this weekly or wait for the episodes to build up.
  28. Avatar
    All these weird fan boys annoyed because they don’t fancy the actor playing a 14 year old child.

Isn't it his 38th birthday or something? Hardly 14.
  29. Avatar
    my main questin is where is ellie ?
    She's the gremlin in the background
  30. Avatar
    The reason the game was particularly semi-dececnt in the first place was because it imitated the style of a prestige tv series.

So this is a weird one for me for sure.
  31. Avatar
    I hope nobody spoils it for me by telling me what happens.
  32. Avatar
    Interested in the TV series but will wait for the Blu-ray release
    why not just watch on free thingyahem
  33. Avatar
    looking forward to this
  34. Avatar
    I don't really care when someone is dropping their dvd.... but when it's airing?
    Monday at 2am on Sky Atlantic.
  35. Avatar
    Can't believe how high this has scored on Rotten Tomatoes (97%). It's up there with the great series according to that.
    Amazing concidering it hasn't been on TV yet!
  36. Avatar
    blew me away?
    The gaim
  37. Avatar
    Now TV is the worst, not giving them any money. Wish there was another way to pay for it
    Ip TV??
  38. Avatar
    Hope its going to be as good as the RIG 🤞

NO good?
  39. Avatar
    Oh, thanks for posting this. I can't wait, even 1 day lol..i love the last of us.
  40. Avatar
    I can’t wait for this to drop tomorrow the games are amazing and so in depth that every cut scene is a must watch. I’m really hoping this does well so B

I can’t wait for this to drop tomorrow the games are amazing and so in depth that every cut scene is a must watch. I’m really hoping this does well so Bio shock can come out with a series as well which just like The Last Of Us is epic (edited)
Top Merchants