The long lost art of waiting and seeing.

Posted 10th Nov
I've noticed that there are lots of threads being posted in discussions over the past few days with people asking if anyone knows if this retailer or that retailer is going to have any Black Friday offers on, or if they should buy 'x' product now or wait until Black Friday. Seeing as Black Friday (29th of November this year) is only 3 weeks way and that most major retailors run various promotions for it, why do people seem not seem so keen to wait until then and see what offers are on rather than asking people here to get out their crystal balls and predict what offers will be appearing? The nice thing about Black Friday is that it's almost a month before Christmas, meaning that if you wait until then to buy something it will have plenty of time to arrive for Christmas if it is intended for a present. So why are people seeming to be so impatient to just wait and see what offers come up when it isn't very far away?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
At the end of the day if it what you want what you really really want.

Then buy the sodding piece of junk and stop faffing.
myusernamehasgone23410/11/2019 21:03

Obviously you can’t predict everything or perhaps even that muchHowever y …Obviously you can’t predict everything or perhaps even that muchHowever you do see patterns of pricing from certain companies though.

I can predict something - between now and Black Friday, prices will gradually increase and then on the day, prices will be reduced miraculously to what they are today. In addition, they will heavily discounted the crap that they haven’t been able to sell all year, such as Polaroid TV sets, making people think that they are getting such a good deal that they are willing to trample over babies in the shop isle to buy something they never would have normally bought.......
hopefully there will be a gem or two, but sifting through all the non deals will sap your will to live.
You’ve heard it here first.
Edited by: "ktm666" 10th Nov
18 Comments
None of us have a 'crystal ball' OP (or at least not a working one)

prices could do anything up down,sidewise, or disappear altogether.
I think they ask because people on here will have had previous experience with retailers and can probably predict to an extent what to expect.

Much of Black Friday is just hype and you will find much better deals at other times of the on here.

However it is possible to have an idea what to expect from some retailers.

As an example

Build a Bear had previously release gingerbread boys & girls for £6 each on Black Friday or cyber Monday the last couple of years a huge saving on Build a bears regular prices

This year it’s going to be a cute snow boy or snow girls £6.

So very similar
Being able to wait and see is becoming a lost art unfortunately.
jimmy_the_fridge10/11/2019 20:39

Being able to wait and see is becoming a lost art unfortunately.

As for been impatient it’s probably to do with spotting a deal and wondering if it best to snap it up now and risk losing out or might it be reduced further on Black Friday. It’s hard to call sometimes
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 10th Nov
myusernamehasgone23410/11/2019 20:37

I think they ask because people on here will have had previous experience …I think they ask because people on here will have had previous experience with retailers and can probably predict to an extent what to expect. Much of Black Friday is just hype and you will find much better deals at other times of the on here.However it is possible to have an idea what to expect from some retailers.As an exampleBuild a Bear had previously release gingerbread boys & girls for £6 each on Black Friday or cyber Monday the last couple of years a huge saving on Build a bears regular prices This year it’s going to be a cute snow boy or snow girls £6.So very similar

Exactly this.

We've a massive community so there will always be tips or advice to be found.
myusernamehasgone23410/11/2019 20:39

As for been impatient it’s probably to do with spotting a deal and w …As for been impatient it’s probably to do with spotting a deal and wondering if it best to snap it up now and risk losing out or might it be reduced further on Black Friday. It’s hard to call sometimes

But prices will always go up and down. You could buy something cheaper on black Friday and then find its cheaper again at Christmas.
If you see something that you want now and think it's a reasonable price buy it because everything will be cheaper at some point.
The worst thing ppl do is buy something and then for the next month or two check to see if the product is cheaper. Why do that?
Really ? if any of us knew what prices were going to be

we would be rich and not need this site. ffs
jimmy_the_fridge10/11/2019 20:46

But prices will always go up and down. You could buy something cheaper on …But prices will always go up and down. You could buy something cheaper on black Friday and then find its cheaper again at Christmas.If you see something that you want now and think it's a reasonable price buy it because everything will be cheaper at some point.The worst thing ppl do is buy something and then for the next month or two check to see if the product is cheaper. Why do that?

And that’s why people are asking for advice from people who have seen what retailers have done previously with their prices. The patterns tend to remain the same.

Have the best deals been on Black Friday or should they hold out until nearer Christmas or get it now.

I posted one of this years must have toys for £39.99. Half the rrp

I suggested this was a good price and probably worth getting as it could be a sell out toy. Smyth put it as there no1 prediction.

hotukdeals.com/dea…799

Last year people snapped up starlink game on Black Friday only for it to continue to keep dropping right up to Christmas and beyond. I could have saved further still if I had waited.
Wongy11010/11/2019 20:59

Really ? if any of us knew what prices were going to bewe would be rich …Really ? if any of us knew what prices were going to bewe would be rich and not need this site. ffs

Obviously you can’t predict everything or perhaps even that much

However you do see patterns of pricing from certain companies though.
magicjay198610/11/2019 20:43

Exactly this. We've a massive community so there will always be tips or …Exactly this. We've a massive community so there will always be tips or advice to be found.

That's definitely true, we've all seen the kind of deals that were on last year, and as a community we can give people an idea sometimes of good deals or offers that we've seen before and could possibly be repeated again. I agree that with certain products if you see them now for a good price then by all means just go for it. But what I'm talking about really though are threads where people are saying essentially should I buy this item for Christmas now (at full RRP) or wait until Black Friday. As long as it isn't something that likely to sell out then is there any reason to not just wait and see what offers are on? These are just a couple of examples of threads in the last few days I'm talking about.

hotukdeals.com/dis…423
hotukdeals.com/dis…823
hotukdeals.com/dis…133

Obviously you can’t predict everything or perhaps even that muchHowever y …Obviously you can’t predict everything or perhaps even that muchHowever you do see patterns of pricing from certain companies though.

tru dat but it really really does not hurt to remind people that none
of this is guaranteed.
Haircut_10010/11/2019 21:10

That's definitely true, we've all seen the kind of deals that were on last …That's definitely true, we've all seen the kind of deals that were on last year, and as a community we can give people an idea sometimes of good deals or offers that we've seen before and could possibly be repeated again. I agree that with certain products if you see them now for a good price then by all means just go for it. But what I'm talking about really though are threads where people are saying essentially should I buy this item for Christmas now (at full RRP) or wait until Black Friday. As long as it isn't something that likely to sell out then is there any reason to not just wait and see what offers are on? These are just a couple of examples of threads in the last few days I'm talking about. https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/xbox-elite-controller-wait-for-black-friday-3328423https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/black-friday-switch-3327823https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/smyths-3328133

I think some people just like to get their Christmas shopping done and dusted and would ideally like to buy now but don’t want to regret it if the price falls on Black Friday.
At the end of the day if it what you want what you really really want.

Then buy the sodding piece of junk and stop faffing.
Wongy11010/11/2019 21:27

At the end of the day if it what you want what you really really want.Then …At the end of the day if it what you want what you really really want.Then buy the sodding piece of junk and stop faffing.

or don't

38953232-Y1VFH.jpg

I can predict something - between now and Black Friday, prices will gradually increase and then on the day, prices will be reduced miraculously to what they are today. In addition, they will heavily discounted the crap that they haven’t been able to sell all year, such as Polaroid TV sets, making people think that they are getting such a good deal that they are willing to trample over babies in the shop isle to buy something they never would have normally bought.......
hopefully there will be a gem or two, but sifting through all the non deals will sap your will to live.
You’ve heard it here first.
Edited by: "ktm666" 10th Nov
ktm66610/11/2019 22:39

I can predict something - between now and Black Friday, prices will …I can predict something - between now and Black Friday, prices will gradually increase and then on the day, prices will be reduced miraculously to what they are today. In addition, they will heavily discounted the crap that they haven’t been able to sell all year, such as Polaroid TV sets, making people think that they are getting such a good deal that they are willing to trample over babies in the shop isle to buy something they never would have normally bought....... hopefully there will be a gem or two, but sifting through all the non deals will sap your will to live. You’ve heard it here first.

In a nutshell.
So why are people seeming to be so impatient to just wait and see what offers come up when it isn't very far away?

I think because after so many Black Fridays, there may be some patterns of sellers' behaviour?!
Black Friday posts should be banned till Black Friday....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants