The most extreme thing you have done to save money?

Found 19th Dec 2017
Hi!

I am a design student currently working on a project regarding the subculture of extreme money savers.

I'd be interested to know the most extreme things you have done to save money, no matter how small or funny it may be.

Anything you can share will help me tremendously!

Thank you.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Got divorced, cost me a fair bit to start with but the savings now are well worth it

Walked over a 20p coin the other day at the top of an escalator. couldn’t pick it up because everyone was stacked behind me. 2 days later I’m still thinking of that darn coin
tallpete3350 m ago

When things were tough I would constantly look out for dropped money on …When things were tough I would constantly look out for dropped money on the street. Found quite a lot surprisingly

Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 19th Dec 2017
29 Comments

My flatmate wouldn’t let us use the heating at uni last year, as he said it would cost too much. That meant I had to wear 2 jumpers, tracksuit bottoms, and thick woolly socks around the house during the winter term
Edited by: "hgraham4" 19th Dec 2017

Original Poster

hgraham44 m ago

My flatmate wouldn’t let us use the heating at uni last year, as he said i …My flatmate wouldn’t let us use the heating at uni last year, as he said it would cost too much. That meant I had to wear 2 jumpers, tracksuit bottoms, and thick woolly socks around the house during the winter term

I understand your pain!

My Dad used to cut his pipe tobacco with shredded banana skins and leaf tea. Apparently a popular method of making your baccy go further during WW2.

Not me, but one of my friends from uni pretty much took all her toilet roll from uni/public toilets. Didn’t buy a single loo roll during the entire course. Some of my other uni friends also went a year without using the heating in their flat share to save on bills, they just wore coats indoors.
Edited by: "Lotsoftrees" 19th Dec 2017

Got divorced, cost me a fair bit to start with but the savings now are well worth it

airbus3301 h, 15 m ago

My Dad used to cut his pipe tobacco with shredded banana skins and leaf …My Dad used to cut his pipe tobacco with shredded banana skins and leaf tea. Apparently a popular method of making your baccy go further during WW2.

wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to give up smoking altogether?

Buy a large bubble bath and decant into an old pumpsoap dispenser and use as shower gel.

Doing my own bathroom renovation, I've been without a shower for a month - lucky they have showers at work!

Sold my boiler and radiators to pay for the heating, well worth it saves me a bit of money but for some reason when I turn the heating on nothing happens, been like this for many years was told it was a good idea oh well

Use charity bags as bin bags (not in the kitchen as they have holes) I'm going to hell

Raided the bins at M&S for a year, whilst my fellow students were eeking out a tin of tuna for the week I ate like a king.
Sadly they started adding dye and crushing the chucked out food.

Then got a job as barman at the local Chinese restaurant mainly as after the shift was over they put on a feast for the family and staff.

Oh and once raided an allotment to get me through a particularly tough time.

Gave up booze a few years ago and saved lotsa dough...!!!

When things were tough I would constantly look out for dropped money on the street. Found quite a lot surprisingly

Walked over a 20p coin the other day at the top of an escalator. couldn’t pick it up because everyone was stacked behind me. 2 days later I’m still thinking of that darn coin
tallpete3350 m ago

When things were tough I would constantly look out for dropped money on …When things were tough I would constantly look out for dropped money on the street. Found quite a lot surprisingly

Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 19th Dec 2017

Fill up with condiments, cutlery and napkins at motorway services and petrol stations, hand wipes from KFC.

Used the toilet at the 24hr petrol station down the road when I was renovating the house so I didn't have to pay for a portaloo.

Pick up the Metro newspapers for chiminea fuel.

The biggest single way to save money is simple though, don't go on HUKD.

Keep the plastic Chinese takeaway plastic boxes/cartonsand use them instead of buying Tupperware.

During the Seventies money was tight for most families. Three day week, electricity switch off.

Anyway. My Dad used to save money on paying utility bills, by waiting for the red reminder before sending a cheque, which he would forget to sign, so giving him extra time to pay.

A pint of full fat milk was watered down.
If we ran out of toothpaste and had cut it open to use the remainder, we brushed our teeth with salt.
I bought clothes from jumbles and customised them, to make them more fashionable.

We ate less, so saved money. Dinner plates were smaller!!

Anyone else remember?

cazz531 h, 5 m ago

During the Seventies money was tight for most families. Three day week, …During the Seventies money was tight for most families. Three day week, electricity switch off.Anyway. My Dad used to save money on paying utility bills, by waiting for the red reminder before sending a cheque, which he would forget to sign, so giving him extra time to pay.A pint of full fat milk was watered down.If we ran out of toothpaste and had cut it open to use the remainder, we brushed our teeth with salt.I bought clothes from jumbles and customised them, to make them more fashionable.We ate less, so saved money. Dinner plates were smaller!!Anyone else remember?

No.

How do you quantify that money was tight for most families?

cazz531 h, 39 m ago

During the Seventies money was tight for most families. Three day week, …During the Seventies money was tight for most families. Three day week, electricity switch off.Anyway. My Dad used to save money on paying utility bills, by waiting for the red reminder before sending a cheque, which he would forget to sign, so giving him extra time to pay.A pint of full fat milk was watered down.If we ran out of toothpaste and had cut it open to use the remainder, we brushed our teeth with salt.I bought clothes from jumbles and customised them, to make them more fashionable.We ate less, so saved money. Dinner plates were smaller!!Anyone else remember?

I dont believe you. I am sure you are having us on!

Why would money be tight in the seventies to today? What was wrong with the seventies? As far as i am aware, there wasnt a war going on in the seventies where you would get rationing?

mutley137 m ago

I dont believe you. I am sure you are having us on! Why would money be …I dont believe you. I am sure you are having us on! Why would money be tight in the seventies to today? What was wrong with the seventies? As far as i am aware, there wasnt a war going on in the seventies where you would get rationing?

Bedtime reading and education mutley,
en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…dom

Checked the bins at McDonalds for coffee cups that still had the coffee bean stickers on them - collect six and u got a cup of coffee .......

shadey1221 m ago

Bedtime reading and education …Bedtime reading and education mutley,https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_the_United_Kingdom

Just read that quickly. I thought poverty in the uk was only short lived after WW2. Didnt know it lasted that long!

Interesting to read that poverty disappears over the generations. Wonder why we have more money these days than people did in the olden days. We may just be more productive or mankind has become more efficient at providing for himself.

Cancelled tv license. Stopped being programmed by tv programs to buy and want stuff I dont need.

mutley112 m ago

Just read that quickly. I thought poverty in the uk was only short lived …Just read that quickly. I thought poverty in the uk was only short lived after WW2. Didnt know it lasted that long!Interesting to read that poverty disappears over the generations. Wonder why we have more money these days than people did in the olden days. We may just be more productive or mankind has become more efficient at providing for himself.

It wasn't all flower power and flares in the 60s and 70s,
home.bt.com/lif…960

shadey1221 m ago

It wasn't all flower power and flares in the 60s and …It wasn't all flower power and flares in the 60s and 70s,http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/family/shocking-pictures-tell-tale-of-extreme-poverty-in-seventies-britain-11363935613960

that looks more like victorian times than the 70s! when you watch movies of the 70s, they were all high on drugs and having a whale of a time. thought everyone had it great in those days

Not me but I'm pretty sure my aunt used to take toilet paper from public toilets to use at home.. get cigarettes off of other people so she didn't have to buy her own.. lived on Wheetos for a good portion of a year and blags every bloody take-out she ever steps foot in to get a free poppadom or something.. lol
She's 100% someone who would not fork out for an all inclusive holiday but a B&B and at breakfast, she would stock up on bread/ butter/ cold meats/ cheese etc so she can make lunch later
She would happily sneak in to a spa to use the facilities too, cos to hell if she's paying for that

mutley18 h, 50 m ago

that looks more like victorian times than the 70s! when you watch movies …that looks more like victorian times than the 70s! when you watch movies of the 70s, they were all high on drugs and having a whale of a time. thought everyone had it great in those days

It was pretty hard core in the early 70s. Power cuts, petrol rationing due to the oil crisis and rubbish piling up as the mining unions called strikes at the drop of a hat. I was only a kid but remember it pretty well. Even worse though, we had the Bay City Rollers to contend with

Hi

It is the truth. Youngsters ask your Grannies and Grandads what it was like in the Seventies.

My Father also bought cheap bangers (cars) £50 or less and ran them for up to a year and sell them again for another old banger. I remember exhausts falling off, running out of petrol before we even got to the garage.

Happy days.

cazz5319th Dec

Yes, but for some it wasn't too bad if you were young and single. As a student in London from 1967 to 1973 on a grant I had about £9 a week to live on. Rent was 11s 6d each a week in a dilapidated house in Charlton shared with 4 others. Curry was 4s 6d , beer about 2 shillings a pint I think. We cooked cheap cuts of meat. We had a cat called Tiger. We rented a black and white TV so that we didn't go to the pub too much. I lived on Marmite sandwiches and apples for lunch for 3 months so I could save up for an amplifier and speakers which cost about £100. Imported the 10" Peerless speakers from Norway and built the cabinets from chipboard. Massive things. Still got them!
I well remember the 3 day week and the piles of rubbish in the streets. But the music and the parties were great. Got my first car in 1973. Mini for £50. Rotten sills. Covered holes with fibreglass and resprayed the rust. Sold it 6 months later. The fuel tank was leaking and dripping onto the exhaust pipe when I drove to my second job interview. But it sold for £75. Happy days!
Strangely enough I've never felt quite as financially stable since then . Low income, little in the way of material goods and minimal responsibility.
I'm so sad that today's students have such a tough time financially.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants