The new AVG Internet Security 8.0

14 replies
Found 15th May 2008
I currently use the AVG Free edition, but keep getting pop-ups about upgrading for ONLY £39.99
Has anyone got any idea if this is worth doing, as I already use Spybot and NoadwareV.5

Any help apprecated

14 Comments

I have got it I thought it was free! - got it about 2 weeks ago with a pop up and I am sure it said free, well I know I didnt pay for it!

Banned

I got fed up with the popups too and eventually uninstalled it and put AVAST AV on. Seems to be as good.

Banned

octobergirl;2101039

I have got it I thought it was free! - got it about 2 weeks ago with a … I have got it I thought it was free! - got it about 2 weeks ago with a pop up and I am sure it said free, well I know I didnt pay for it!

I think its a 30 day trial you have installed.

try AVAST

avast.com/eng…tml

yep I de-installed AVG due to it not being as good as the competition and the silly pop ups which just started a few weeks ago. I'm using Avira now but that too has a pop up but is less annoying than AVG and I know it's a better AV. Would of never of looked in to it if AVG hadn't started their upgrade pop ups - own goal IMHO

csiman;2101056

I think its a 30 day trial you have installed.]

Nope, not true. I am running AVG Free 8.0. Just go ]here and download and install. This will stop your pop ups.

If you want to stay with AVG ( have tried avast ... about the same) just upgrade to the FREE AVG 8

( in fact its now 8.1)

Click on the annoying popup!! and follow links
YES they try to sell you the PRO version, they are out ( rightly) to make money
BUT they still provide a good free version

To sum up:whistling:
I have AVG 8.1 FREE no popups:-D

Beaten by one minute:x:x:x

Banned

Mavis Cruet;2101178

Nope, not true. I am running AVG Free 8.0. Just go ]here and download and … Nope, not true. I am running AVG Free 8.0. Just go ]here and download and install. This will stop your pop ups.

Thanks but I will stick to Avast. It found a trojan in an executable I had lying around on my hard drive for 3 years! AVG never spotted it in all that time.

Could be a false positive - happens all the time. My paid-for AVG finds a trojan in an executive whenever I do a deep scan but it is a false positive - it's been doing it for a couple of years and a web search reveals this is a FP.

Banned

Pugwash;2101920

Could be a false positive - happens all the time. My paid-for AVG finds … Could be a false positive - happens all the time. My paid-for AVG finds a trojan in an executive whenever I do a deep scan but it is a false positive - it's been doing it for a couple of years and a web search reveals this is a FP.

No it defo has a trojan in it as I checked the torrent file since I downloaded it 3 years ago, then loads of comments have been added to it saying it has this in it and it has effected their machine.

Banned

Pugwash;2101920

Could be a false positive - happens all the time. My paid-for AVG finds … Could be a false positive - happens all the time. My paid-for AVG finds a trojan in an executive whenever I do a deep scan but it is a false positive - it's been doing it for a couple of years and a web search reveals this is a FP.

AVG didnt find it. Avast did when I put it on last week.

you lot should try kaspersky- its the best

Banned

csiman;2101054

I got fed up with the popups too and eventually uninstalled it and put … I got fed up with the popups too and eventually uninstalled it and put AVAST AV on. Seems to be as good.

any links where i can download?

Kaspersky is ass.

I paid for a years's subscription, and got virused files, incompatibility issues; the whole shebang. Put AVG 8 on there, virus now gone and incompatibility **** gone. Waste of a years sub.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75872
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
    3. Win a trip to Dublin, with Ireland.com via Classic FM11
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers55

See more discussions