The new Macbook pro 2016

Banned 37 replies
Found 28th Oct 2016
What we all thinking then?

37 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Apple's new MacBook Pro is slim, trim and has a stunning screen
Apple's newest MacBook Pro. It's thinner, it's lighter and it comes with a better screen than the Pros of yesteryear.
https://s.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/424/967/0/S4249670/slug/l/applefall4-1.jpg

OLED screen embedded in the keyboard called the Touch Bar.
https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/89e07e5010df8d770a67e170ce757b7f/204515746/applefall8.jpg

''Aside from the Touch Bar, the laptop itself is an engineering marvel. It feels supersolid, like it was carved from a slab of aluminum, and I'm particularly enamored of the space-gray finish. The keyboard is akin to the one found in MacBooks, only it's designed with a bit more key travel -- though I'll be honest, it felt indistinguishable to my fingertips. Which is to say, it's a clicky, accurate set of keys, though I still prefer the lengthier keystrokes you get on the old MacBook Pro and current Air. I also am compelled to say that it's remarkable how Apple managed to cram fully fledged MBP internals into a chassis that weighs even less than a MacBook Air -- I held my Air in one hand and the new 13-inch Pro in the other, and I couldn't tell a difference. The 15-inch version is a bit heavier, of course, but it's still relatively svelte considering how powerful it is.

And I can't discuss the hardware without mentioning the new screen. The wider, P3 color gamut it displays isn't something that most civilians need, but it is a noticeable upgrade when you see the difference side by side. As my colleague Dana Wollman pointed out in her iMac 4K review last year, which supports the same P3 color range, colors really are richer and more vibrant, particularly with warmer colors -- reds and yellows in particular.

You can order the new MacBook Pros starting today, with a standard model (read: no Touch Bar) available now for $1,499, while the Touch Bar equipped 13- and 15-inch models will set you back $1,799 and $2,399, respectively. You can get a standard model in store tomorrow, while the others won't ship out for two to three weeks. Patience is a virtue, y'all.''

BUT GUESS WHAT

It wont connect to the new iPhone 7 with the cables contained out of the box, or the headphones it comes with, need to buy an adapter or a separate cable. X)

Think I'll still pass (_;)

Does anybody use the touchpad on a laptop ?
just means you can't use the keyboard properly shirley

I really like it, and I've been waiting for it as my 5 year old MBA could do with an upgrade. But it's just too expensive. Coupled with no proper update to the Air or MacBook, and Apple no longer make a lower cost (by Apple standards) laptop.

Also, even as an Apple fan, their cord situation is now slightly ridiculous. Shame there's no 'Thunderbolt-to-Lightning' cable, if just for the humour.
Edited by: "OliverBanks91" 28th Oct 2016

Original Poster Banned

How can they justify $600 difference for an extra 2''
Edited by: "MrScotchBonnet" 28th Oct 2016

What company builds a laptop And expects you to buy adapters to accommodate its existing products? Apple.

Original Poster Banned

Predikuesi

What company builds a laptop And expects you to buy adapters to … What company builds a laptop And expects you to buy adapters to accommodate its existing products? Apple.

Mental isn't it. Spend over £2k on a fancy laptop and still need to buy additional leads.

Personally, I think that Macbook Pros were the best laptops out there. The trackpad and keyboard were the best in the world but I really don't like the redesigned keyboards. There's simply not enough travel, although the trackpad is still class-leading.

The changes recently seem gimmicky for the sake of it. The obsession with removing ports and slimness is getting silly now and I honestly think if you want a Macbook then you should try and find a refurb from a few years back.

Build quality is still fantastic but the design ethos is off.

Also, pricing in Apple products has always been a bit contentious but even I think it's getting extreme now and the currency drop means you're looking at a 1:1 Pound/Dollar ratio for all intents and purposes.

So unless this is a business purchase, there's really no reason to rush out and get one.

MrScotchBonnet

How can they justify $600 difference for an extra 2''

I'm sure you'll get the customary response before the mornings done.

They're losing the plot. Microsoft has moved into their space and is doing it way better right now.

I'm sure its all swings and roundabouts, the top talent is at MS right now, but I'm sure they'll get bored and end up with another company in a few years.

Mac book Pros are for those whose average salaries is £50,000+ or has parental or company financial support. Plus those who use it to make money, and/or need to run Mac only platform software, likes its ecosystem and OSX security. Last but not least , as an "I am special" icon, much like those wearing Primary clothing carrying an LV handbag.
That's why the rest moan about its high price, which is exceptionally high, I buy last one as Apple own refurbished just to save a little as it is eye watering high but hey, mandatory to do music on it though.

splender

Mac book Pros are for those whose average salaries is £50,000+ or has … Mac book Pros are for those whose average salaries is £50,000+ or has parental or company financial support. Plus those who use it to make money, and/or need to run Mac only platform software, likes its ecosystem and OSX security. Last but not least , as an "I am special" icon, much like those wearing Primary clothing carrying an LV handbag.That's why the rest moan about its high price, which is exceptionally high, I buy last one as Apple own refurbished just to save a little as it is eye watering high but hey, mandatory to do music on it though.

There is some element of truth to that.
The number of MD's I've met that want Apple devices because they look shiny and can waste company money is crazy.

However, that's not who this is for.

If you're a pro business user you buy the best tools your business can afford. I rely on my MacBook Pro for all my work and it's never let me down. It's 6 years old and still very usable. If it were a PC I'd have replaced it after 3 years...so you could argue with longevity like that it's not too bad price wise.

I won't be upgrading at this price though, unless I can find a student deal.

Original Poster Banned

joedredd

There is some element of truth to that.The number of MD's I've met that … There is some element of truth to that.The number of MD's I've met that want Apple devices because they look shiny and can waste company money is crazy.However, that's not who this is for.If you're a pro business user you buy the best tools your business can afford. I rely on my MacBook Pro for all my work and it's never let me down. It's 6 years old and still very usable. If it were a PC I'd have replaced it after 3 years...so you could argue with longevity like that it's not too bad price wise.I won't be upgrading at this price though, unless I can find a student deal.

Why have people got this view that laptops don't last? both mine have been going for 6+ years without even a whiff of a fault.

MrScotchBonnet

Mental isn't it. Spend over £2k on a fancy laptop and still need to buy … Mental isn't it. Spend over £2k on a fancy laptop and still need to buy additional leads.

It's more of an image thing

MrScotchBonnet

Why have people got this view that laptops don't last? both mine have … Why have people got this view that laptops don't last? both mine have been going for 6+ years without even a whiff of a fault.

I think it comes down to how you look after the computer. My XP runs like new after almost 12 years. My Win7 laptop is about 7 years old and I've never had a bother with it. I haven't installed programs to make them run better or mishandled them. One of my friends has gone through four laptops during the last six years, so in the end he has spent more money than I did for my laptop (which I thought then was on the expensive side).

I have a 13" 2015 rMBP.

Plan was to sell it to my Dad, and then put £500-600 towards getting the new base level 13" 2016 rMBP touchpad. Assuming they were going to be £1300-ish. With the prices of the 13" rMBP 2016 touchpad being £1749, I'd have to put over a grand on top to get one.

I am keeping my 13" 2015 rMBP, and my Dad is getting a Surface and a free Xbox One S instead. When I do upgrade I will either go refurb, or get a Razor Stealth. I'd like to keep using MacOS, as I have about £500+ worth of software I use, but if I can't see me being able to afford, or even want to pay those prices, in the future. I'd have no issues with jumping back to Windows. I just hope MS or Razor can come close to Apple trackpads, as that is one thing they do very very well.

That aside, I feel the MS announcement had better products and if they have their wits about them, they could really take a big bite out of Apple's dwindling market share.

Edited by: "Splashmo" 28th Oct 2016

MrScotchBonnet

Why have people got this view that laptops don't last? both mine have … Why have people got this view that laptops don't last? both mine have been going for 6+ years without even a whiff of a fault.

It's more that Windows laptops that are seen as "better value" spec for spec but are usually much poorer made with cheaper plastics etc. If you buy something like the top line Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition it'll be more of a fair comparison and similarly priced. Guess what? It'll no doubt last longer too.

So I was lookin to sell my 2015 MBPr and upgrade, but no SD! and £300 more expensive than the previous version, as a photographer that SD omission is too much.

Its safe to assume I'm not anymore, i love OSX it just works great for me, but buying this model with student discount at £1100.00 was well above my top end, so looks like when i have to upgrade in a few years time, Im login to have to go back to Windows. and look at surface line maybe?

Previous I had a Dell XPS L502x which my Mrs now owns and is going strong.

with a i7 2630QM its still extremely powerful in comparison to todays laptops. so i might consider the new XPS models at that time.

the Touch Bar has gimmick all over it, which is disappointing from Apple, it was only a few years ago Apple were trying to reduce the price of there iPhones and Macs and now they are back up to being overpriced.

They easily could of released the MacBook Pro without a Touch Bar at £999.99 they would of sold millions!
Edited by: "haritori" 28th Oct 2016

Lenovo tried this adaptive ribbon at the top. It failed miserably and was hated by most.

thewongwing101

Does anybody use the touchpad on a laptop ?just means you can't use the … Does anybody use the touchpad on a laptop ?just means you can't use the keyboard properly shirley

I swear by touchpad prefer it to mouse, and the apple touch pads are just beautiful to use,

Waited 4 years to upgrade for this, not happy. But just like the "average" iPhone 7 it will still sell pretty well.

Have a 2015 13'' 16GB RAM 512GB SSD with the 2.9 ghz Processor. Won't be selling as I feel it is a better machine because of ports, getting rid of them is not a better feature than having them built in, for me at least.

One major gripe is 2 days ago the refurb MBA 11 128GB 4GB RAM base was £629 on the apple refurb store, today it is £719. Raising New Mac prices because of the currency situation is fair game, but the refurbs is an absolute con!

£1749 cheapest for 13" with Touchbar apple.com/uk/…tmi
$1 price in USA and £1 price here almost.
15" starts at £2349.

thewongwing101

Does anybody use the touchpad on a laptop ?just means you can't use the … Does anybody use the touchpad on a laptop ?just means you can't use the keyboard properly shirley

Me, all the time. So much so much is worn smoother than glass.

Looks quality inside(!)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvzKd9uVYAAoru7.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvzIO9gVUAAIwvS.jpg

Don't think it's for me, too much computer to handle

splender

£1749 cheapest for 13" with Touchbar … £1749 cheapest for 13" with Touchbar http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch?at=1l3vamU&ct=08009g1sjtmi$1 price in USA and £1 price here almost.15" starts at £2349.

Whilst i'm no admirer of the new prices, the prices are nearly the same as everywhere else in the world. Please take away 20% VAT and get back to us with your results.

Also Apple doesn't include US state taxes on their site which are added at checkout.
Edited by: "kiish" 29th Oct 2016

moneysavingkitten

Me, all the time. So much so much is worn smoother than glass.Looks … Me, all the time. So much so much is worn smoother than glass.Looks quality inside(!)Don't think it's for me, too much computer to handle

Thats the MacBook though its using the M3 processor, the MacBook Pro in fairness has a proper processor.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/MHrZweKybO2aJwsS.medium

Banned

haritori

I swear by touchpad prefer it to mouse, and the apple touch pads are just … I swear by touchpad prefer it to mouse, and the apple touch pads are just beautiful to use,

That sums it up. The mac touchpad is class. I have 2015 Pro, mac mini and MS Surface Pro 3. I've had to factory reset Surface Pro twice. OSX is perfect environment for my usage
Edited by: "cchopps" 29th Oct 2016

Well...people are still buying them. Shipping dates slipping back from 3-4, to 4-5 weeks.

cchopps

That sums it up. The mac touchpad is class. I have 2015 Pro, mac mini … That sums it up. The mac touchpad is class. I have 2015 Pro, mac mini and MS Surface Pro 3. I've had to factory reset Surface Pro twice. OSX is perfect environment for my usage

When I was upgrading in January I had a few factors

1080p + Screen
Backlit Keyboard
8+ Hour battery
SSD
SD Card Slot
and one of my most important factors was a good trackpad.

It was so surprising how many windows machines couldn't do all this for under £1200.00 the Dell XPS could but I read too many reports of the trackpad being a problem, so i tried out a Mac and well it won me in minutes with its trackpad its just a joy to use, OSX I got very used to very quick.

I expect that if I do upgrade if I do not get a Mac again, I will have to buy a Magic Trackpad
Edited by: "haritori" 29th Oct 2016

Banned

haritori

When i was upgrading in January I had a few factors 1080p + ScreenBacklit … When i was upgrading in January I had a few factors 1080p + ScreenBacklit Keyboard8+ Hour batterySSDSD Card Slotand one of my most important factors was a good trackpad.It was so surprising how many windows machines couldn't do all this for under £1200.00 the Dell XPS could but i read too many reports of the trackpad being a problem, so i tried out a Mac and well it won me in minutes with its trackpad its just a joy to use, OSX I got very used to very quick.I expect that if I do upgrade if I do not get a Mac again, I will have to buy a Magic Trackpad

It's a long time for me, but it used to be Photoshop for Mac was preferred for photographic work. Is that still the case

cchopps

It's a long time for me, but it used to be Photoshop for Mac was … It's a long time for me, but it used to be Photoshop for Mac was preferred for photographic work. Is that still the case

I think they are both the same now on PC and Mac.

haritori

When I was upgrading in January I had a few factors 1080p + ScreenBacklit … When I was upgrading in January I had a few factors 1080p + ScreenBacklit Keyboard8+ Hour batterySSDSD Card Slotand one of my most important factors was a good trackpad.It was so surprising how many windows machines couldn't do all this for under £1200.00 the Dell XPS could but I read too many reports of the trackpad being a problem, so i tried out a Mac and well it won me in minutes with its trackpad its just a joy to use, OSX I got very used to very quick.I expect that if I do upgrade if I do not get a Mac again, I will have to buy a Magic Trackpad

I have Latitude 13 7000 Series 2-in-1, it has all those features that you want.

macs look good, id use one... but not at that price premium

Nice bit of kit, but I would never spend this kind of money on a laptop (£1899 for the Quad core 15" - crikey!).
Edited by: "MBeeching" 29th Oct 2016

splender

I have Latitude 13 7000 Series 2-in-1, it has all those features that you … I have Latitude 13 7000 Series 2-in-1, it has all those features that you want.

Yeah but i wasnt looking for a 2-1, it wasnt impossible to find, but it seemed you had to compromise somewhere, and look Im not comparing Macs & PC's I'm just happy with the Mac I got.

But I can guarantee that no laptop has a trackpad as good as a MacBooks, force touch is amazing.

we have both platforms, horses for courses, infact a multiplicity of makes and devices, never understand why people get tribal loyality to a single DNA.

splender

we have both platforms, horses for courses, infact a multiplicity of … we have both platforms, horses for courses, infact a multiplicity of makes and devices, never understand why people get tribal loyality to a single DNA.

Because they have nothing else in their lives.

See also iOS v Android.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Follow-up to the closure of Kids Company in 2015.43
    2. Xbox Code Giveaway - fastest finger first45
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604810
    4. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.34

See more discussions