The pain of buying a new mattress.

Found 7th Oct 2017
Need help. Mattress shopping meltdown. Hints and tips for choosing the right mattress would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
Its a good idea to go to shops/showrooms that have decent displays where you can try them out and get an idea of the comfort grade you like, you can then with that knowledge shop around for one at a price you want to pay. It is a pain in the proverbial having to do this but a good mattress isn't cheap and it is a long time buy, so it makes sense to do the research before buying.
any matress then memory foam topper?
Buy whichever one you find the most comfortable, and don't feel rushed when trying them out.

If it helps then narrow it down gradually. Go back for a second look at a minimum, and if it takes half a dozen visits that's perfectly normal.

There isn't really any further advice than that. You can read about the different technologies and so on but ultimately the comfort comes down to the exact combination of materials in each individual model rather than any blanket rule.
Try it out. Lie down roll around. Avoid cheap ones. Try to get one with built in memory foam topper. A mattress will cost maybe 3-4 times the cost of the bed so take your time.
Any from Ikea so you can have a year trying it out with the option to return.
I would also go for a spring free mattress, not sure why people still purchase beds with metal springs in them as latex mattresses are much better and last longer
It’s very difficult for someone to advise you as we all have our own preferences. I prefer a very firm mattress, good for your body
An eve mattress is good and you get it half price and a long trial
nrackham7628 m ago

not sure why people still purchase beds with metal springs in them as …not sure why people still purchase beds with metal springs in them as latex mattresses are much better and last longer

And are three times the cost.
EndlessWaves6 m ago

And are three times the cost.

I know but we are all giving opinions. We don’t know the budget or the financial circumstances of the op.
As for the general, 3 times the price may be correct but we are talking about a mattress..
As long as it says Hypnos then happy days go the premier inn route
the.porter41 m ago

As long as it says Hypnos then happy days go the premier inn route

I can't sleep on Premier Inn beds, I find them much too hard, to the extent that I bring my own topper when staying at a Premier Inn. Just goes to show that you should try a few different things, either in store or some of those that have trial periods and free returns.
Go to a bed shop and chat with salesman. Tell them what you want and purchase mattress. Yes.. May cost a little more than buying online but good advice is priceless.
nrackham7619 h, 44 m ago

Any from Ikea so you can have a year trying it out with the option to …Any from Ikea so you can have a year trying it out with the option to return.I would also go for a spring free mattress, not sure why people still purchase beds with metal springs in them as latex mattresses are much better and last longer :)It’s very difficult for someone to advise you as we all have our own preferences. I prefer a very firm mattress, good for your body

Ikea give you 90 days to try it out. The return option is not a refund, it’s Ikea vouchers to the same amount as your original purchase.
Look at Eve or similar. They all offer 100+ day trials so you can pick one you like.
Go to a Dreams store where you can try all the different types of mattresses.

If you don't want to buy there, perhaps then search for similar item online at a cheaper price.

I bought mine then and there ... best money I've ever spent... back pain gone now!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants