the pc customiser (ebay)

Found 17th Jun 2015
Anyone bought a pc from 'the_pc_customiser' on ebay? Looking to get a gaming pc
Community Updates
AskPC
13 Comments
There prices are ok, not great though. I bought a second hand smallish Asus tower on eBay for £300 which has one of the best i7s in it and 16GB of ram, took the power supply out and swapped it with a £50 branded one and swapped the graphics for a 290X which I got on eBay for £150. So I've spent £500. Their i7 with 290X is £828.99. I haven't included the price of an SSD I had knocking around, the warranty or Windows, but you can easily knock up something yourself on the cheap.
There are always deals about for computers with an i5 in, which is all you need, just stick a better power supply in and pick whatever card you can afford.
How comfortable are you with swapping components? I always think them companies will use really cheap parts like a £20 600w PSU.
Edited by: "rikkif1990" 17th Jun 2015
Original Poster
MIDURIX

There prices are ok, not great though. I bought a second hand smallish … There prices are ok, not great though. I bought a second hand smallish Asus tower on eBay for £300 which has one of the best i7s in it and 16GB of ram, took the power supply out and swapped it with a £50 branded one and swapped the graphics for a 290X which I got on eBay for £150. So I've spent £500. Their i7 with 290X is £828.99. I haven't included the price of an SSD I had knocking around, the warranty or Windows, but you can easily knock up something yourself on the cheap. There are always deals about for computers with an i5 in, which is all you need, just stick a better power supply in and pick whatever card you can afford.

That sounds great. I am specifically looking for an i7-3770/FX-8350 + GTX 980/R9 290X with 8GB RAM and Win 8 64. Any help?
Original Poster
rikkif1990

How comfortable are you with swapping components? I always think them … How comfortable are you with swapping components? I always think them companies will use really cheap parts like a £20 600w PSU.

I think id be ok. I've upgraded RAM before and added a graphics card. I'd like to build a pc from scratch myself, just aren't very knowledgeable about motherboards, cooling, and psu's
jco83

I think id be ok. I've upgraded RAM before and added a graphics card. I'd … I think id be ok. I've upgraded RAM before and added a graphics card. I'd like to build a pc from scratch myself, just aren't very knowledgeable about motherboards, cooling, and psu's

That's fine you just need to read a few forums and it becomes really easy, it's just putting bits together but making sure they're compatible. You need to research whether you want AMD or Intel. So if you want an FX-8350 you will want a decent AM3+ motherboard like the Gigabyte UD3P. Also in terms of PSU's you'll want one with an 80+ rating, like the XFX (Seasonic) 550w. A stock CPU cooler would be fine if you're not overclocking, but if you are then the best fan cooler for the money is probably the Hyper 212 Evo (if you have a case large enough). Alternatively, there are liquid coolers such as the Seidon 120v which supports an Intel or AMD CPU and is pretty cheap and very easy to install.

Original Poster
rikkif1990

That's fine you just need to read a few forums and it becomes really … That's fine you just need to read a few forums and it becomes really easy, it's just putting bits together but making sure they're compatible. You need to research whether you want AMD or Intel. So if you want an FX-8350 you will want a decent AM3+ motherboard like the Gigabyte UD3P. Also in terms of PSU's you'll want one with an 80+ rating, like the XFX (Seasonic) 550w. A stock CPU cooler would be fine if you're not overclocking, but if you are then the best fan cooler for the money is probably the Hyper 212 Evo (if you have a case large enough). Alternatively, there are liquid coolers such as the Seidon 120v which supports an Intel or AMD CPU and is pretty cheap and very easy to install.

thanks so much for the advice. As far as I can tell AMD cpu's are a better price than intel, and can also be overclocked whereas intel's can't? I was wondering - are there alternatives to intel and AMD or are they the only options
jco83

thanks so much for the advice. As far as I can tell AMD cpu's are a … thanks so much for the advice. As far as I can tell AMD cpu's are a better price than intel, and can also be overclocked whereas intel's can't? I was wondering - are there alternatives to intel and AMD or are they the only options

There are only AMD and Intel processors, and AMD processors tend to have better prices but Intel processors tend to offer more performance. It depends though what you want to use your computer for. Some Intel processors can be overclocked. A common processor now is the Intel 4690k, the 'k' meaning it has an unlocked multiplier which means it can be overclocked.

jco83

That sounds great. I am specifically looking for an i7-3770/FX-8350 + GTX … That sounds great. I am specifically looking for an i7-3770/FX-8350 + GTX 980/R9 290X with 8GB RAM and Win 8 64. Any help?

That's the cpu I have the i7-3770, think it will be pretty hard to find it in a new pc, if you pick up a new one with any i5 it will do the job just as well. The GTX980 and 290X are not really in the same league, 290X isn't even as good as the GTX970 as far as I am aware. If you get a 290X make sure you get one with a good cooler, my reference one gets noisy, only when you really really push it though, otherwise it is pretty silent.
rikkif1990

That's fine you just need to read a few forums and it becomes really … That's fine you just need to read a few forums and it becomes really easy, it's just putting bits together but making sure they're compatible. You need to research whether you want AMD or Intel. So if you want an FX-8350 you will want a decent AM3+ motherboard like the Gigabyte UD3P. Also in terms of PSU's you'll want one with an 80+ rating, like the XFX (Seasonic) 550w. A stock CPU cooler would be fine if you're not overclocking, but if you are then the best fan cooler for the money is probably the Hyper 212 Evo (if you have a case large enough). Alternatively, there are liquid coolers such as the Seidon 120v which supports an Intel or AMD CPU and is pretty cheap and very easy to install.

I don't see why they would need a decent motherboard unless they want to overclock, lots of people make that mistake, spend up to £100 on a board then run at stock. I agree with the cooler comment though, just bought that exact one from amazon after looking at reviews all Monday night. After upgrading the power supply, the only real noise and vibrating from my pc is the stock cpu cooler
jco83

I'd like to build a pc from scratch myself

Why have you asked a question about a pc building company then? :p. You could buy a brand new amd fx 8350 which is just south of £150 or an i5 4690k which is just north of £150, or you could buy a whole pc second hand for about £300 with a 3rd gen i5/i7 3xxx or maybe a 4th gen i5 4xxx already in it with 8/16gb of ram, decent ish motherboard etc and all the other parts already there for you.
MIDURIX

I don't see why they would need a decent motherboard unless they want to … I don't see why they would need a decent motherboard unless they want to overclock, lots of people make that mistake, spend up to £100 on a board then run at stock. I agree with the cooler comment though, just bought that exact one from amazon after looking at reviews all Monday night. After upgrading the power supply, the only real noise and vibrating from my pc is the stock cpu cooler

Because I wouldn't fancy an 8350 in a motherboard like the M5A78L-M/USB 3 with its 4 + 2 power phase and I would rather spend about £25 more so the option to overclock is there.

The 212 cooler was going to be my choice but my RAM has stupid heatsinks.

Original Poster
thanks for all your help guys
The reason I was looking into this was to play the new Batman game.
But i've just gone for the Gamestop PS4 Batman bundle for £280 instead
Thanks again for the advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants