The R7 1700 A Good Choice

7 replies
Found 2nd Mar
I'm Choosing This The R7 1700 After The Reviews

I Do Gaming and Like End Gaming.

However I Want To Learn Unreal Unity, Blender and VR Game Production.

It Seems The R7 1700/1700X/1800 All OverClocked Are Similar But 1700 Comes With Cooler.

Is This Near Correct On Any Level. Is The 1700 A Good A Good Choice.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Too early to tell.

They need to iron out the issues, for future gaming it could be much better but you need to consider a few things:

1) We don't know when developers will actually make use of noticeably more cores.
2) The 1600X will be much better value for price/performance and isn't far away.
3) Intel are definitely going to respond sometime this year, and I fear it could be a knock out (for gaming especially).

I wouldn't recommend using a modern AMD CPU without an AIO cooler or at least a large air cooler. Stock coolers are noisy and best avoided if possible.

Original Poster

Yeah I think to many don't think into the future and It many get better in terms of future utilisation.

Plus that really puts it into perspective. Intel's Response I think will be good as we expect from Intel even though Kaby Lake disappointed I agree with your points.

Just waiting after waiting a year for Ryzen release and it being disappointing.

So I forgot about Intel completely.

Waiting for the VEGA Cards to drop anyway maybe Late may/June so it won't hurt to wait even for the 1600X reviews I guess.

Cheers for detailed reply appreciated
Edited by: "GasGaGlide" 2nd Mar

GasGaGlide

Yeah I think to many don't think into the future and It many get better … Yeah I think to many don't think into the future and It many get better in terms of future utilisation. Plus that really puts it into perspective. Intel's Response I think will be good as we expect from Intel even though Kaby Lake disappointed I agree with your points. Just waiting after waiting a year for Ryzen release and it being disappointing. So I forgot about Intel completely. Waiting for the VEGA Cards to drop anyway maybe Late may/June so it won't hurt to wait even for the 1600X reviews I guess. Cheers for detailed reply appreciated

The Ryzen release hasn't been disappointing, a few people had good results which means there is something else at play.

I'm personally getting a 1080 Ti and will decide which way to go with CPU's when I see more solid concrete evidence.

BigP50000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDxAJMAu0w&feature=youtu.be

Bad review. There are only 2-3 reviews that have done them properly, the others have had many issues.

BigP50000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDxAJMAu0w&feature=youtu.be

I guess this is where differing points of view are most apparent. I actually thought the review was extremely positive for the CPU - the synthetics, the tasking, temps, voltage were all decent.

Yes, the FPS in games were lower (in some cases by XX %) but if I rationalise this in my head:

1. They're all running 1080p to place the emphasis on the CPU, rightly, pretty unanimously across all the reviews I have watched. When you switch up to 4k or 1440p the differences quickly evaporate as GPU becomes the hurdle.
2. At those sorts of frame rates 100+ in most cases, I couldn't really give a monkeys if i'm getting 150, 130, 110 as I won't notice it, with or without Freesync enabled. Obviously if we're getting down to 50, 60 then that's a very different story without sync technology, but I'm not too concerned.
3. It's a brand new architecture, a new socket, new technology entirely going against a 7th generation product. Games have been designed and optimised exclusively for Intel product for nearly a decade - it will take time to reverse that and for development to recognise new ways of doing. The tie-in with Bethesta may highlight the true performance of 8c CPU's.
4. I expect within an month the landscape will have shifted significantly, Windows patches, BIOS updates and AMD chipset work will all help.

I've pre-order an R7 1700 and when I watched the 1800X reviews roll in today I considered seriously cancelling it and just getting a 270 mobo and a 7700k (no real allegiance), but the more I thought about it the more the Ryzen chip made sense. As I said above, I'm not overly concerned about the games of today and the lower FPS, it's still more than enough. But a tangible saving of time in producing videos from my drone/family and getting my output quicker, in addition to my VMware, well that's of huge benefit.

It's an interesting chip, I think the misalignment of synthetic benches and tasks versus gaming will clarify itself further in the coming weeks.

Win-win though, 7700k has dropped in price so we all benefit via AMD.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet1429
    2. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…49
    3. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)98196
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769442

See more discussions