The Repair Shop (BBC1)

Posted 10th Sep
Im an old fuddy duddy, and i like to moan a lot.....
but i cannot be the only person that gets wound up regarding my following rant.
its called The Repair Shop, and NOT the "Lets hear a sob story or your families 12 generation history" shop !
i want to watch amazingly talented craftsmen/women repairing things.
but the scripted small talk is just too much.
the questions asked by the people who are gonna repair the items are so obvious....
"how much would it mean to you to have it working again " and its a watch that was the most precious thing in the world to someone's dad whos just died !!!
"did your mum like the teddy bear "
"tell me about your mum and dad"..... well i hated them and this is why im sobbing and want their clock repaired !

honestly, i cannot watch this programme without recording it first so i can fast forward through the boring small talk or should i say "filler" talk.

rant over
Community Updates
Misc
21 Comments
Some of the stories are genuinely interesting but yeah I do hit the FF button for a lot of them!
i like the format, yes they want to get a reaction, but when a 90 year old woman hears something from her childhood again you forgot all the other stuff
Its between the Repair Shop and Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing as my 2 favourite programs at the minute.
Most of them are ancient, I remember watching them ages ago. According to Wikipedia it first aired in 2017 but I'm sure I watched it before then.
I player launched in 2007 and I'm sure it was on there not that long after, maybe 2010 ish?..

Does anyone else remember them from that long ago or was it just me.
MonkeysUncle10/09/2020 17:06

Most of them are ancient, I remember watching them ages ago. According to …Most of them are ancient, I remember watching them ages ago. According to Wikipedia it first aired in 2017 but I'm sure I watched it before then.I player launched in 2007 and I'm sure it was on there not that long after, maybe 2010 ish?..Does anyone else remember them from that long ago or was it just me.

Yes i think it was originally called the repair cave
They would repair clubs and axes made of flint and stone
I only read as far as BBC and lost interest.
lollypoplee10/09/2020 17:25

Yes i think it was originally called the repair cave Yes i think it was originally called the repair cave They would repair clubs and axes made of flint and stone

Yeah the stories were like

"Ug, This Bear Skin Make Good Again Ug" & "What would this mean to Adam if we repaired it Eve... Ug"
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 10th Sep
Have to say I'm the same record the fast forward the boaring bit. I agree, some are genuinely good and interesting, some are just crap made up from the car boot sale they actually bought it from.
They do have some incredibly skilled people on there though, must be such a fun place to work!
the irony of taking time to rant about something that wastes time / detracts from theme of the platform
as in life something so old has a story I find them interesting to hear and heartwarming to see other people made happy
Youtube has plenty of skilled DIY/craftsman (and women of course), might be worth a look.
GlitchFace10/09/2020 16:56

Its between the Repair Shop and Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing as my …Its between the Repair Shop and Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing as my 2 favourite programs at the minute.

I totally agree with you about Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing. Pure magic, each episode is like a nice warm hug.

Repair Shop is a bit too syrupy for me though.
I regularly have a similar rant about First Dates on C4 - it’s often like sob story Top Trumps.
Wow. How grumpy are you??
Phlop010/09/2020 22:47

Wow. How grumpy are you??

I did open with "im an old fuddy duddy"

My work colleague (boss) almost EVERY day says to me at some point -
Moan Moan Moan....Moan Moan !
What sort of people are sharing these stories?
I've been through the fuddy duddy phase when I was younger But people started getting really annoyed so I try not to complain these days, it is too easy to think negatively.

I think that program either has American origins or is produced by one, sounds like the kind of stuff they would eat up
We are lucky all we have to moan about in life is a BBC1 show that has some annoying features
Phlop011/09/2020 17:43

We are lucky all we have to moan about in life is a BBC1 show that has …We are lucky all we have to moan about in life is a BBC1 show that has some annoying features

I know.... thank god there isn't anything else i could moan about
Typical British Biased Corporation mass DRUB!
Most of what the BBC broadcasts is a repeat so why are we forced pay for their licence /tax every year.
Post a comment
@
    Text