Expired

The risks (or Benefits) of starting an ebay auction at 99p?

Found 18th Feb 2013
Hi im tinking of sticking some stuff on ebay if heydont sell well on this site and was wondering if its safe to start an auction at 99p incase someone would win it at that price lol... or does it generate more interest.. what are your opinions? cheers
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
You'll get a bid quite early on, then closer to the end more people bid so it doesn't push the price up too high for potential buyers, usually what happens anyway.
Depends what your selling really;

Popular items starting at 99p will be no problem and will soon shoot up
Collection only items starting at 99p might be more of a risk (i've seen stories of people buying expensive bikes etc for 99p before)
Surely it all depends on whether you want to risk the item(s) in question to go for 99p? If they did, would you be absolutely gutted and massively out of pocket? If the answer is yes to either then don't do it. Pay a bit more and put a reserve on or a higher starting price. It's really not something someone else can answer for you.

I too, have been lucky enough to win an auction for the lowest bid price - usually because the auction ended at a ridiculous time - like early hours of the morning and no-one else was watching. I used to feel a bit guilty at winning but then I remembered that it is the SELLER who put the starting price so must of been at least aware that it could sell for next-to-nowt!

Just ask yourself this: WHAT IF?

Best regards, Phsy.
Depends on what the item is. If it's something lots of people are likely to want, putting it on at 99p is fine. It will get to its value. Best way is to search for the same item and look at the completed listings. How much did those that sold go for? What was their strarting bid? How many bids did they get? What were the opening bid levels on those that didn't sell? That should give you enough info to pitch it right. You get 100 99p auction style listings with no listing fee each month. Every little helps if you're selling lots of stuff.
If you want more than 0.99 wait until its a free listing weekend you can start at the price you realistically want and not pay listing fees. No risk of it going for 0.99 then. Usually one a month.
ceres

Depends on what the item is. If it's something lots of people are likely … Depends on what the item is. If it's something lots of people are likely to want, putting it on at 99p is fine. It will get to its value. Best way is to search for the same item and look at the completed listings. How much did those that sold go for? What was their strarting bid? How many bids did they get? What were the opening bid levels on those that didn't sell? That should give you enough info to pitch it right. You get 100 99p auction style listings with no listing fee each month. Every little helps if you're selling lots of stuff.

I totally agree
if your happy with the risks then go for it!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants