The six new cigarettes and tobacco laws that will affect smokers

Found 1st May 2017
A raft of new rules on cigarettes and tobacco are due to be rolled across the country by the end of May.

Menthol cigarettes will be phased out and banned completely and it will no longer be possible to buy smaller packets of tobacco or cigerettes.

The new laws are being introduced to help curb the number of smokers after experts believe that smaller packets and menthols make it easier for people to smoke.

Here are the new rules and what the aims of these changes are:

How is the law changing on cigarettes and tobacco?

You will not be able to buy smaller packets of cigarettes
Smaller bags containing less than 30g of roll up tobacco will also be banned
By May 21, the cheapest packet of cigarettes will cost £8.82
Menthol cigarettes, which experts say have often been aimed at beginner smokers, are being gradually phased out
Cigarette packets are set to be plain, with graphic images which show people the impact that tobacco has on health
Some flavoured cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco, including fruit, spice, herbs, alcohol, candy or vanilla, will also be made illegal.

Why is this happening?

According to the charity Action on Smoking and Health (Ash), phasing out menthol cigarettes will deter younger people from smoking.

Read more here
Community Updates
MiscStop SmokingCigarette
Top comments
a friend of mine who owns a shop reckons all this will do is make smokers buy fakes from disreputable shops, therefore taking tax away from government and potentially using more dangerous products. it seems to be playing into the hands of the smugglers and fakers.
hubcms

Although I did Lick the holes in the filter of Silk Cut.

oO

CookinBat

why anyone would smoke these days when you have easy access to vaping is … why anyone would smoke these days when you have easy access to vaping is a mystery. Darwin's rule applies i guess.

Why would anyone eat too much and become overweight it's unhealthy
Why would anyone drive a car with all those harmful fumes it's unhealthy
Why would anyone sit inside their home watching tv with all that biased news and reality tv carp it's unhealthy
Why would anyone drink alcohol it's a killer potentially of others never mind the drinker it's unhealthy
Why would anyone smoke cannabis it's psychotic and potentially dangerous it's unhealthy

You keep having a dig at the smokers just because you went onto vaping then when there's no smokers who will end up paying for the NHS and other stuff? Leave them alone - they've had the years of warnings and price increases if they still choose to smoke isn't it their choice?

I don't see any smokers being taken to court for causing the death of someone else whilst they were enjoying what they chose to do
Pretty stressful news, better grab myself a ciggy.
108 Comments
a friend of mine who owns a shop reckons all this will do is make smokers buy fakes from disreputable shops, therefore taking tax away from government and potentially using more dangerous products. it seems to be playing into the hands of the smugglers and fakers.
Years ago,my Mum used to smoke menthol cigarettes when she had a sore throat oO
why anyone would smoke these days when you have easy access to vaping is a mystery. Darwin's rule applies i guess.
Now a non smoker of many years I remember trying some menthol cigarettes bloody awful things. Soon rectified the problem back to Silk Cut and Malboro Lights, so hardcore lol! Although I did Lick the holes in the filter of Silk Cut.
hubcms

Although I did Lick the holes in the filter of Silk Cut.

oO

Who ever smokes menthols. I gave up over 20 years ago and never knew anyone smoke menthols in the 10 years when I did.
deeky

oO

Someone been smoking the pigeon deeky ?
http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/pigeonsmoking.gif
CookinBat

why anyone would smoke these days when you have easy access to vaping is … why anyone would smoke these days when you have easy access to vaping is a mystery. Darwin's rule applies i guess.

Why would anyone eat too much and become overweight it's unhealthy
Why would anyone drive a car with all those harmful fumes it's unhealthy
Why would anyone sit inside their home watching tv with all that biased news and reality tv carp it's unhealthy
Why would anyone drink alcohol it's a killer potentially of others never mind the drinker it's unhealthy
Why would anyone smoke cannabis it's psychotic and potentially dangerous it's unhealthy

You keep having a dig at the smokers just because you went onto vaping then when there's no smokers who will end up paying for the NHS and other stuff? Leave them alone - they've had the years of warnings and price increases if they still choose to smoke isn't it their choice?

I don't see any smokers being taken to court for causing the death of someone else whilst they were enjoying what they chose to do
philphil61

Why would anyone eat too much and become overweight it's unhealthyWhy … Why would anyone eat too much and become overweight it's unhealthyWhy would anyone drive a car with all those harmful fumes it's unhealthyWhy would anyone sit inside their home watching tv with all that biased news and reality tv carp it's unhealthyWhy would anyone drink alcohol it's a killer potentially of others never mind the drinker it's unhealthyWhy would anyone smoke cannabis it's psychotic and potentially dangerous it's unhealthyYou keep having a dig at the smokers just because you went onto vaping then when there's no smokers who will end up paying for the NHS and other stuff? Leave them alone - they've had the years of warnings and price increases if they still choose to smoke isn't it their choice?I don't see any smokers being taken to court for causing the death of someone else whilst they were enjoying what they chose to do

Where did I say all that? You've missed my point entirely. Personally people can choose whatever method to slowly kill themselves they like. Ignorance is bliss..
CookinBat

Where did I say all that? You've missed my point entirely. Personally … Where did I say all that? You've missed my point entirely. Personally people can choose whatever method to slowly kill themselves they like. Ignorance is bliss..

You stated in not so many words that anyone who still smoked cigarettes are Darwin award winners - how did I misread that?
Pretty stressful news, better grab myself a ciggy.
Hey fellas, the boys over at PR 2 department have come up with a way of reducing packaging.
Let's see if we can't do our bit also and increase the price.

Reminds me of the Chocolate/Watchdogs.
Say too much chocolate is bad for you so we can reduce the size of the bars.

FTR, I do not smoke -except when I'm on fire. But if people take a lil joy while increasing the probability of death, they should be allowed to do so.
philphil61

Why would anyone eat too much and become overweight it's unhealthyWhy … Why would anyone eat too much and become overweight it's unhealthyWhy would anyone drive a car with all those harmful fumes it's unhealthyWhy would anyone sit inside their home watching tv with all that biased news and reality tv carp it's unhealthyWhy would anyone drink alcohol it's a killer potentially of others never mind the drinker it's unhealthyWhy would anyone smoke cannabis it's psychotic and potentially dangerous it's unhealthyYou keep having a dig at the smokers just because you went onto vaping then when there's no smokers who will end up paying for the NHS and other stuff? Leave them alone - they've had the years of warnings and price increases if they still choose to smoke isn't it their choice?I don't see any smokers being taken to court for causing the death of someone else whilst they were enjoying what they chose to do

Why would you bother writing all that, chill out, have a cancer stick.
raks_8

Smaller bags containing less than 30g of roll up tobacco will also be … Smaller bags containing less than 30g of roll up tobacco will also be bannedBy May 21, the cheapest packet of cigarettes will cost £8.82

That's stupid. If I had more I'd smoke more.

raks_8

Some flavoured cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco, including fruit, … Some flavoured cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco, including fruit, spice, herbs, alcohol, candy or vanilla, will also be made illegal.

Pointless, I can't see them being able to ban flavored cigarette papers.

CookinBat

Because it's not fun.

I haven't smoked for years and the pack size thing is winding me up. It'll just mean who really struggle to give up have to buy in large amounts.

Have they changed any rules regarding cigars?
philphil61

You stated in not so many words that anyone who still smoked cigarettes … You stated in not so many words that anyone who still smoked cigarettes are Darwin award winners - how did I misread that?

Yep I stand by that. What I'm saying is you can still enjoy the sensation of smoking without the risk so why do it?

I smoked 40 per day + cigars (which I inhaled) for 50 years.
Packed up now for 13 years so anyone CAN do it but you must WANT to.
I am very lucky to have survived it.
Last year was diagnosed with c.o.p.d. but I am alive & very grateful.
Funny isn't it the Government and DWP are murdering lots of people with Evil sanctions,An American zionist jew policy and implemented in the uk by the Labour party firstly but carried on by the Cons.Mostly young extremely disillusioned males and lots of older males are killing themselves but you cannot smoke a few cigarettes. This society now is deeply sick and twisted.
I have said it before and i will say it again, All the UK needs are ship loads of guns to take this country back from these sick twisted satanist politicians and bankers.
Glamwampam

Funny isn't it the Government and DWP are murdering lots of people with … Funny isn't it the Government and DWP are murdering lots of people with Evil sanctions,An American zionist jew policy and implemented in the uk by the Labour party firstly but carried on by the Cons.Mostly young extremely disillusioned males and lots of older males are killing themselves but you cannot smoke a few cigarettes. This society now is deeply sick and twisted.I have said it before and i will say it again, All the UK needs are ship loads of guns to take this country back from these sick twisted satanist politicians and bankers.

What is really twisted is that you injected your biased political views into a discussion about cigarettes.

Edited by: "Predikuesi" 2nd May 2017
landros1

I smoked 40 per day + cigars (which I inhaled) for 50 years.Packed up now … I smoked 40 per day + cigars (which I inhaled) for 50 years.Packed up now for 13 years so anyone CAN do it but you must WANT to.I am very lucky to have survived it.Last year was diagnosed with c.o.p.d. but I am alive & very grateful.

same here but i was diagnosed with C.R.S.
I've got to be honest- as an ex-smoker, and ahem, given up more than once ( the shame) .. the path back to being a smoker is via -blagged cigs off others, 10 pack of cigs, or menthol. If I were to waver, ( not that I'm planning to!) , the mental commitment to 20 full strength would definitely put me off.
CookinBat

Yep I stand by that. What I'm saying is you can still enjoy the sensation … Yep I stand by that. What I'm saying is you can still enjoy the sensation of smoking without the risk so why do it?

How? ? Don't think these vaping things have been tested for long enough to see what happens when people have smoked them for 30years..
LeahMinttoutou

How? ? Don't think these vaping things have been tested for long enough … How? ? Don't think these vaping things have been tested for long enough to see what happens when people have smoked them for 30years..

Beat me to it was about to say the exact same thing.

Edited by: "NO1FAN" 2nd May 2017
philphil61

You stated in not so many words that anyone who still smoked cigarettes … You stated in not so many words that anyone who still smoked cigarettes are Darwin award winners - how did I misread that?

To be honest anyone taking up smoking/vaping is as thick as a peg rug.
Makes me wonder where the government get there money from nowadays?.

NHS bill keeps rising???...
Edited by: "mxer450" 2nd May 2017
I expect the thinking behind it is not to encourage smokers to quit or stop ex-smokers from relapsing but to stop kids and new smokers from starting with tobacco in the first place which i think we would all agree is a great idea.
bermudaviper

To be honest anyone taking up smoking/vaping is as thick as a peg rug.

And
Anyone drinking alcohol or eating too much or etc etc is just as thick as a peg rug and the person who said it
philphil61

Like being a vapist is any better.
philphil61

AndAnyone drinking alcohol or eating too much or etc etc is just as thick … AndAnyone drinking alcohol or eating too much or etc etc is just as thick as a peg rug and the person who said it

Not really, eating is a requirement of the human body, smoking isn't. Anyone trying to defend smoking really is stupid.
As for alcohol, I don't see many people drinking every three seconds in a traffic jam and creating clouds of alcohol. Now vaping attention **** with their silly clouds of smoke and walkie talkies are just daft.
CookinBat

ever heard of Popcorn Lung ? if not do a bit of research Vaping is not a safe alternative to smoking especially if you use high tempreture vapers(is that what they are called? ) . Why would anyone choose anything that would harm them ? Darwins rule applies i guess .We have the worlds biggest library at our finger tips with the internet do a bit of research and see if vaping is really safe. Also men who Vape also shave their fanny
coys67

I expect the thinking behind it is not to encourage smokers to quit or … I expect the thinking behind it is not to encourage smokers to quit or stop ex-smokers from relapsing but to stop kids and new smokers from starting with tobacco in the first place which i think we would all agree is a great idea.

I think it just boils down to culture. At school it used to be/is 'cool to smoke'. You see it in movies too, you know guy/girl sitting in a bar with a ciggie in one hand and a whiskey/JD in the other. I personally started as a 'social smoker' and then booze and smoking became hand in hand. I gave up cold turkey about 4 years ago. I think kid's will try it/experiment regardless, some will hate it, others will stick to it.

I think its also a cultural issue as to how they are continued to be sold. Smoking will 100% cause some kind detrimental health issue - whether or not it's a simple case of losing aspects of your sense of taste, breathlessness, or something more sinister. I can't think of too many other things that can be sold that actually cause as much havoc to your health!? You wouldn't buy an item of food that has a health warning label on it.
bermudaviper

Not really, eating is a requirement of the human body, smoking isn't. … Not really, eating is a requirement of the human body, smoking isn't. Anyone trying to defend smoking really is stupid.As for alcohol, I don't see many people drinking every three seconds in a traffic jam and creating clouds of alcohol. Now vaping attention **** with their silly clouds of smoke and walkie talkies are just daft.

I have an IGNORE list unfortunately I don't have a STUPID list
You really should read and understand what you wrote before hitting the POST COMMENT button.

1 - We (or I) are talking about over eating (meaning eating more than the body needs)
2 - If anyone was to be drinking alcohol whilst driving and stuck in traffic jams...well
3 - Cars - under occupied and some badly driven and some who pay road tax and own the road whilst most cars pump out harmful gasses that potentially kill anyone else (creating clouds of Earth destroying and life killing gasses)

I'm not going to discuss the harm or benefits of vaping with you as it will be a pointless task since your lack of understanding about what you wrote

I'll bid you a good day
shadey12

a friend of mine who owns a shop reckons all this will do is make smokers … a friend of mine who owns a shop reckons all this will do is make smokers buy fakes from disreputable shops, therefore taking tax away from government and potentially using more dangerous products. it seems to be playing into the hands of the smugglers and fakers.

If Only the government had consulted your knowledgeable friend He's clearly the extra man they need in parliament. I doubt peoples cravings for Menthol will be such that they seek illegal substitutes. Majority will not be ill informed in the future or naive enough to smoke. Its a good step and one of many needed. Baseball batting people stood in doorways polluting communal areas is a viable next step ;
philphil61

I have an IGNORE list unfortunately I don't have a STUPID listYou really … I have an IGNORE list unfortunately I don't have a STUPID listYou really should read and understand what you wrote before hitting the POST COMMENT button.1 - We (or I) are talking about over eating (meaning eating more than the body needs)2 - If anyone was to be drinking alcohol whilst driving and stuck in traffic jams...well3 - Cars - under occupied and some badly driven and some who pay road tax and own the road whilst most cars pump out harmful gasses that potentially kill anyone else (creating clouds of Earth destroying and life killing gasses) I'm not going to discuss the harm or benefits of vaping with you as it will be a pointless task since your lack of understanding about what you wroteI'll bid you a good day

There are no benefits to smoking or vaping end of story.
Sorry if I touched a nerve about your unbreakable addiction.
CookinBat

Vapings for nerds
hubcms

Now a non smoker of many years I remember trying some menthol cigarettes … Now a non smoker of many years I remember trying some menthol cigarettes bloody awful things. Soon rectified the problem back to Silk Cut and Malboro Lights, so hardcore lol! Although I did Lick the holes in the filter of Silk Cut.

I remember when someone bought me back some duty frees they got me Silk Cut and each time I opened a packet i stuck sellotape around the holes in the filter. Gave up 5 years ago and still using the lozenges!!
Gutted about getting rid of menthol. It's all I've smoked in the last 9 years ish
CookinBat

Where did I say all that? You've missed my point entirely. Personally … Where did I say all that? You've missed my point entirely. Personally people can choose whatever method to slowly kill themselves they like. Ignorance is bliss..

Smokers fund the NHS remember
NO1FAN

Beat me to it was about to say the exact same thing.

Vaping is nothing like smoking tastes completely different
Tcoult13

Gutted about getting rid of menthol. It's all I've smoked in the last 9 … Gutted about getting rid of menthol. It's all I've smoked in the last 9 years ish

Pop an extra strong mint in your mouth before lighting up.
Edited by: "DJNG22" 2nd May 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions