The sizing of chocolate bar multipacks

Found 20th Mar
What exactly is the reason for the multiple sizes of the same chocolate bar?

Take Twix, for example. A double bar bought separately is 50g. A pack of 7x1 bars are 23g each, a pack of 4x2 bars are 40g each (20g a finger). Then there's the 7x2 pack which are 50g each.

So many sizes, so many packs. Why can't we just have the option of buying multipacks of single bars at 25g each, or multipacks of double bars at 50g each? The 40g and 23g sizes are unnecessary and slightly misleading.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
33476680-GfkAg.jpg
New world order.
I think we should contact Mars and demand an explanation. I don't think profit will be their excuse but it's worth a shot?
Edited by: "rev6" 20th Mar
contact your local mp.he should be able to raise a motion in parliament..to ban useless threads on HUKD.
tamboss21 m ago

contact your local mp.he should be able to raise a motion in …contact your local mp.he should be able to raise a motion in parliament..to ban useless threads on HUKD.

I'm not sure he would raise a motion, well not unless he had eaten all the aforementioned twix bars then he may even be able to pass a motion!
I am not a big chocolate eater, but I always thought the multi packs were simply single ones packed together and sold at a discount?

I must pay more attention to the weight, next time I buy a multi pack as I never look at the weights.

Does this also apply to multi pack crisps?
mutley12 h, 9 m ago

I am not a big chocolate eater, but I always thought the multi packs were …I am not a big chocolate eater, but I always thought the multi packs were simply single ones packed together and sold at a discount? I must pay more attention to the weight, next time I buy a multi pack as I never look at the weights.Does this also apply to multi pack crisps?

Multipacks generally have smaller sizes than individual ones. Same can apply for crisps too - for example a Walkers individual bag is bigger than the multipack ones
jamie01520th Mar

Multipacks generally have smaller sizes than individual ones. Same can …Multipacks generally have smaller sizes than individual ones. Same can apply for crisps too - for example a Walkers individual bag is bigger than the multipack ones

blooming heck, i never knew that. i did think multi-packs were extraordinary value, and now i know why!

i will definitely check the weight on multi-pack items from now on. guess that may apply to anything multi-pack, like soft drinks even?
Manufacturers rely on folk not checking the price per g on multi-packs, or simply the convenience factor, they often make a larger profit margin on these, due to consumers confusion, and the mis-conception that they are better value for money.

Loose fruit and veg being the best example, folks will pick up a bag of bananas etc at 2 or 3x the price of loose.

Same applies to smaller chocolate bars, smaller bottles of beer, manufacturers love consumers picking up larger packs which don't see value for money over smaller/loose items.

Retailers love it also, as it increases the average spend.
It's to make the pricing structure of their products unclear and therefore hard to compare.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions