Found 21st Feb 2011
Just a heads ups for a documentary on this evening.
Channel 4 Dispatches 8pm.

Personally I am a huge supporter of the NHS but this is a subject that should concern anyone who may have to go into hospital or may have a friend or relative in hospital.

1. Misc
  2. Food
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Food
51 Comments

I spent a week in hossy not long back. Well Ive been in hossy a lot. I can't eat hossy food. It's vile.

Original Poster

I have been in 4 different london hospitals and I can state that the standards do vary between hospitals. For some reason they also seem to vary on different wards as well.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

I don't see why they can't charge people for it

Many people in hospital are not working or on a much reduced income so thats not an easy subject to address. What are you going to do if people cant afford to pay.
Does everything have to rely on the size of your bank account?

Banned

whatsThePoint

If I was paying I would want Mcd's every day.

I think people do pay for the NHS through their NI payments.

When I was in hospital last year the food wasn't that bad at all.

whatsThePoint

You obviously haven't tasted it then...

People don't even eat it when its given away! (_;)

Banned

Food is generally pretty bad. That's why you have loving relatives to bring something nice in!

Banned

Funnily enough the canteen food, that you do pay for, is ok...

Banned

whatsThePoint

So when they aren't in hospital, they go hungry and don't eat oO

so how much would you think a fair charge would be?

I think what people eat for lunch is the least of peoples problems when they are in hospital!

Banned

whatsThePoint

If they are poor I imagine they eat at a very low budget and cook for a few at a time. I guess if the meal at the hospital was charged at a similar cost it would be comparable.

whatsThePoint

Why can't they charge the prisoner's to have food or make them starve if they can't afford it?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Actually I didnt mean to like your comment. I clicked the wrong button.

Outside of hospital people all live to different budgets depending on their personal circumstances. To set a charge for food when some people cannot afford the costs would mean that those with less in their coffers could be in a worse position than they are at present. Those that can afford to pay will always have a way of circumventing poor service as they will be able to pay for food in extremeis from other sources.
But that doesnt mean that really sloppy standards should be ignored.

I've been in hospital alot and most of the food is OK.

Banned

this is a job for........

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/super-jamie-415x500.jpg

whatsThePoint

only 50p-£1 aday how much is school meals ?

£2 a day at my kids school

casparwhite

this is a job for........

^^nah, not packing much of a lunch there!!

our school dinners are £1.80 a day so pity those that are even more
Edited by: "mumofthree" 21st Feb 2011

I was in hospital for a month before I had my son, I live in Birmingham and I assume the favourite dish is curry. The majority of the food was different curry dishes, and there'd be one or 2 english dishes- by the time I got there they'd be gone and I'd be left with manky chips and a sandwich if I was lucky. My parents and partner would sneak food in for me. The food was terrible!!

Banned

whatsThePoint

only 50p-£1 aday how much is school meals ?

what would be the point of charging less than it costs though?
Most hospitals seem have have a budget of between £2.50 and £3.50 (after a quick google) per person per day.

Banned

Some expensive school meals going around. £1.30 at my Son's.

Ive been in hospital 3 times , twice maternity and once for an op and can honestly say i never touched any of the food ( thank god for my mum bringing me salads, batches etc ) it was the smell that put me off tbh , no matter what it was on the menu it all smelt the same , mind you i did see a lot on women in maternity tucking in with no complaints , .yuk ...
Edited by: "shopstilldrops" 21st Feb 2011

master_chief

Some expensive school meals going around. £1.30 at my Son's.

Really oO.. my son and daughters school is £2 and the school i work at is £1.80

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

I was in hospital for 3 weeks when i had my heat attack, food was fine … I was in hospital for 3 weeks when i had my heat attack, food was fine but if they said there was a £1 charge i would of been fine paying it, £3 a day for the tv was a bigger rip off

Whilst agreeing that the TV costs are really hiked that is something that you can do without. Food is another matter.
I initially thought that maybe its all down to the different trusts and how much they are each prepared to allocate as meal costs but I have also seen differences between wards in the same hospital so its not only related to the trust.
Edited by: "WoolyM" 21st Feb 2011

Banned

shopstilldrops

£2 a day at my kids school

Wowsers!

Can't they have a packed lunch instead.

The quality does vary indeed, my local (East Surrey) is terrible quality, but my normal one (St George's) isn't that bad actually. The quality is decent at St George's, meal times are protected and the staff are always pleasant, I would recommend there if planning on needing emergency care

DLM

Wowsers!Can't they have a packed lunch instead.

My son has a packed lunch ( as he is so fussy ) , my daughter did up until a year or so ago when her friends went on hot lunches and she wanted to sit by them :D.......but i suppose when you weigh up the cost of a packed lunch nowadays its not much different money wise tbh

been in when i was being induced.....i thought it was fine!

Typical days food when I was in hospital;

Breakfast, toast or cornflakes, rice crispies etc
Lunch, sandwiches and soup
Dinner (or tea haha) Fish chips and mushy peas, with choice of pudding

nikkib123

Typical days food when I was in hospital;Breakfast, toast or cornflakes, … Typical days food when I was in hospital;Breakfast, toast or cornflakes, rice crispies etcLunch, sandwiches and soupDinner (or tea haha) Fish chips and mushy peas, with choice of pudding

tea is a bloody drink! it's dinner!

brb complaining about free food when you're getting hundreds if not thousands of pounds worth of care/surgery for free (in b4 it's not free we pay our NI...)

I've only just got out of hospital (Fri) I was in since Tue am and the food was fine, varied and always hot and the ward staff made sure all elderly people on the ward could eat and if not assisted them. I was at Ipswich hospital.

I agree that levels of service are going to depend on location, the NHS are suffering due to the recession and with what little funds etc they were remarkable. Thumps up from me to all staff from my surgeon right down to the cleaners. All friendly and made sure my unwanted stay was as comfortable as possible.

Original Poster

moose109

The quality does vary indeed, my local (East Surrey) is terrible quality, … The quality does vary indeed, my local (East Surrey) is terrible quality, but my normal one (St George's) isn't that bad actually. The quality is decent at St George's, meal times are protected and the staff are always pleasant, I would recommend there if planning on needing emergency care

St Georges is about to lose 500 staff through the non existant cuts though.
Linky

Edited by: "WoolyM" 21st Feb 2011

WoolyM

St Georges is about to lose 500 staff through the non existant cuts … St Georges is about to lose 500 staff through the non existant cuts though. Linky

I know, plus 3 wards But then I guess they are all making cuts. I think my areas should be fairly safe, with possibly a couple less staff as it's the only Neurosciences hospital in the south east region.

Banned

The nutritional value of the food available in at least one hospital in London is quite alarming. Heart patients on statins and antiplatelet medication are being offered pizzas and fried food with a very limited *healthy* option. When the patient is visited by the doctors in the morning and told that they must avoid a diet high in fat/cholesterol and salt they are then offered the very same diet on the hospital menu by the kitchen staff. I don't think it would be hard to create a new restricted menu for the heart patients. I can't speak for all NHS hospitals but I know that this is true for at least one. :s

Original Poster

Danielj88

The nutritional value of the food available in at least one hospital in … The nutritional value of the food available in at least one hospital in London is quite alarming. Heart patients on statins and antiplatelet medication are being offered pizzas and fried food with a very limited *healthy* option. When the patient is visited by the doctors in the morning and told that they must avoid a diet high in fat/cholesterol and salt they are then offered the very same diet on the hospital menu by the kitchen staff. I don't think it would be hard to create a new restricted menu for the heart patients. I can't speak for all NHS hospitals but I know that this is true for at least one. :s

I suffered a renal crisis last year. Kidney patients can only cope with a very restricted diet. But there seemed to be little recognition of how this should be approached. It was really down to me to select the foods that I considered to be least harmful. My consultant did question me about my opinion of the food but I guess even he was somewhat restricted in dealing with the systems that are in place.
The thing is that almost all catering these days is provided by private outside companies who just provide something without any real understanding of nutritional needs or requirements.

Portion sizes can be miniscule as well

I don't expect this to be a balanced report.

Original Poster

moob

I don't expect this to be a balanced report.

I suppose that it may well be used as an NHS bashing exercise but I think it needs to be remembered that the food is most likely provided through the private sector anyway.

Danielj88

The nutritional value of the food available in at least one hospital in … The nutritional value of the food available in at least one hospital in London is quite alarming. Heart patients on statins and antiplatelet medication are being offered pizzas and fried food with a very limited *healthy* option. When the patient is visited by the doctors in the morning and told that they must avoid a diet high in fat/cholesterol and salt they are then offered the very same diet on the hospital menu by the kitchen staff. I don't think it would be hard to create a new restricted menu for the heart patients. I can't speak for all NHS hospitals but I know that this is true for at least one. :s

That's terrible service! I do remember at St George's, they had the usual cereal and tea/coffee for breakfast, but lunch and dinner, you could choose sandwiches or a choice of 3 hot meals including 1 vegetarian option. I don't think a different menu for each department would be needed as such, just more variety so that people can choose what to eat, that way people only have themselves to blame if something goes wrong, plus every now and then something naughty is nice.

Why is my comment in a moderation queue??

We had menu's and you could pick from about 5 choices, vegetarian, healthy etc etc. You could also choice portion size.
I would give it a 7 out of 10 overall.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415416
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70561
    3. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868
    4. word association Game74244894

See more discussions