Groups

The Virtual revolution - The cost of free - BBC 2

Blurb:

Twenty years on from its invention, Dr Aleks Krotoski continues her investigation of how the World Wide Web is transforming almost every aspect of our lives.

In the third programme of the series, Aleks gives the lowdown on how, for better and for worse, commerce has colonised the web - and reveals how web users are paying for what appear to be 'free' sites and services in hidden ways.

Joined by some of the most influential business leaders of today's web, including Jeff Bezos (CEO of Amazon), Eric Schmidt (CEO of Google), Chad Hurley (CEO of YouTube), Bill Gates, Martha Lane Fox and Reed Hastings (CEO of Netflix), Aleks traces how business, with varying degrees of success, has attempted to make money on the web.

She tells the inside story of the gold rush years of the dotcom bubble and reveals how retailers such as Amazon learned the lessons. She also charts how, out of the ashes, Google forged the business model that has come to dominate today's web, offering a plethora of highly attractive, overtly free web services, including search, maps and video, that are in fact funded through a sophisticated and highly lucrative advertising system which trades on what we users look for.

Aleks explores how web advertising is evolving further to become more targeted and relevant to individual consumers. Recommendation engines, pioneered by retailers such as Amazon, are also breaking down the barriers between commerce and consumer by marketing future purchases to us based on our previous choices.

On the surface, the web appears to have brought about a revolution in convenience. But, as companies start to build up databases on our online habits and preferences, Aleks questions what this may mean for our notions of privacy and personal space in the 21st century.

Just finished watching, quite interesting, would recommend it if you have the time.

bbc.co.uk/ipl…ee/

9 Comments

I have been watching the series it has been good so far I have to admit i learned a lot did not know free mail was mined and i now understand why i get spam

Original Poster

miles136;7854787

I have been watching the series it has been good so far I have to admit i … I have been watching the series it has been good so far I have to admit i learned a lot did not know free mail was mined and i now understand why i get spam

It's the first of the series I've watched, I was suprised by the G-Mail thing. I knew it went on , its why i never bought into Google Chrome.

[QUOTE=spobby;7854790]It's the first of the series I've watched, I was suprised by the G-Mail thing. I knew it went on , its why i never bought into Google Chrome.[/it

is a bit scarry and what about the info they keep on your searches was brill when that reporter was able to track down an untrackable user lol

Sounds well geeky! Right up my street :thumbsup:

rehydrated;7854837

Sounds well geeky! Right up my street :thumbsup:

lol bless rep added

Original Poster

It wasn't that geeky , just made you realise.

Banned

stupid annoying American accent

Banned

lumoruk;7857202

stupid annoying American accent

yeah but she looks kinda hot in a weird sort of way.

She doesnt half love the camera though as she's seen walking around for 50% of the show :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions