The Youview mobile app is being removed - only BT subscribers will have mobile app access to their youview boxes

Posted 8th Feb
This affects people who use the Youview mobile app to set recordings, browse the TV guide etc. On opening the app tonight there's a message warning that the app is in its final days. I've always found the phone app more convenient than using the tv remote control.

support.youview.com/mobile-app/

Starting today YouView will be phasing out support for the YouView mobile app with final support ending on the 31st March 2020. The YouView mobile app will then be removed from the App Store and Google Play.

The BT TV app is available to all BT TV subscribers. It can be used to connect to your set top box to set recordings remotely.

Why is this happening?
At YouView our mission is to combine cutting edge technology with Live TV and On Demand television to deliver a brilliantly smart TV experience for our customers.

In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our business partners BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

As such we will no longer be continuing a YouView stand-alone mobile app and instead will support our business partners by providing functionality in their own branded TV apps.

What happens now to my access?
We’ll be phasing out support for the YouView mobile app which means you will no longer be able to use the app or send recording requests.

What are the alternatives to the YouView App – and where can I find them?
If you are subscribed to BT TV, you can use the BT TV app to set recordings remotely. This app can be found in the app store.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

7 Comments
Terrible move by youview and nearly as bad as their ridiculous user interface changes a couple of years ago that removed loads of features

I'll be getting a freeview play pvr next time
If you use the mobile app as a TV guide, the Freeview app might be handy. I've just downloaded it.

Even if I'm watching TV I always used my phone to set recordings, search for programmes etc on youview rather than use the remote control. From the Youview community forum link above, I'm not the only one.
It is about time the BBC stopped contributing licence payers' money into Youview's funding, let the ISPs that use the youview system fund it fully themselves. Should have pulled out of it years ago, and especially so now that Youview are changing their business model away from the consumer.
As they are no longer supporting it will it be disabled, or if I disable updates on phone will it still work 'as is'?
Ringfinger09/02/2020 11:14

As they are no longer supporting it will it be disabled, or if I disable …As they are no longer supporting it will it be disabled, or if I disable updates on phone will it still work 'as is'?

Its still being supported but will only work for bt TV subscribers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants