Expired

there's something wrong with my whirlpool fridge freezer - help?

Found 28th Aug 2014
There's something wrong with my whirlpool fridge freezer - its a dou le door American style unit but there doesn't seem to be a visable sticker so I can't determine which unit it is exactly.

there's a sign with a plug and a line through it flashing, but the fridge lights still seem to be working fine, but I don't know about the freezer and fridge itself - I don't really want to wait til everything is defrosted to find out or keep opening it if that is the case.

I've tried unplugging and plugging it back in which didn't work.

I know its also out of warranty which doesn't help.

any advice? thank you!

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
20 Comments
Does it have a water dispenser fitted? It might be telling you the filter needs changing.
I checked a manual that I found online and it's the blackout alarm. However, it's not actually making the sound that the manual says that it should make, i've checked the electricity supply and the light in the fridge works. It now indicates a thermometer on both the fridge and freezer sides of the display, don't think it's looking too good.
Thank you though!
Good luck sounds serious!
michaelrussell1

Good luck sounds serious!

Thank you! These things are the worst - happen without warning!
check the drain hole isn't blocked
whatsThePoint

check the drain hole isn't blocked

No idea how to do that - my fridge has a complete back on it but i don't know how to access it, and i can't see much inside either. will google, but any tips would be appreciated. thanks!
Edited by: "LogicalHarm" 28th Aug 2014
Is there an alarm reset button? try holding it down for a few secs?
Could be that there was a power cut earlier and it's just telling you about it. If it's a frost free freezer when did you last defrost it ?
Apogee00

Is there an alarm reset button? try holding it down for a few secs?

I did just try that! everything has stopped flashing but the light is still on.
We'll if it's frost free then the fridge won't chill until the freezer is at temperature. Then the baffle on the fridge will then open and the fan will kick in.
What are your temps reading ?
LogicalHarm

-24 and 5. but now a new light has come on - a little one showing the freezer door in white (lit up). the fast freezing indicator has disappeared though, which is a good sign I guess. also the sixth sense light is on now. I'm so confuses! maybe its an electric fault?
kester76

We'll if it's frost free then the fridge won't chill until the freezer is … We'll if it's frost free then the fridge won't chill until the freezer is at temperature. Then the baffle on the fridge will then open and the fan will kick in.

thanks! could the freezer be over packed maybe? because recently it was frosting a lot and every time everyone in the household thought someone wasn't closing the door properly, but actually I defrosted it a bit yesterday where the top shelves were getting icy and its come back a little bit (when I checked this morning when it was seemingly okay)
Hmmm, okay, it's now showing that the fridge door is open with the new icon. I'm not convinced though but i'll take some stuff out....
Are the door seals all ok?

"Blackout Alert

At the end of a power cut the refrigerator automatically checks the temperature and if it has risen above freezing level the Black Out alert alarm will let you know so that you can make an informed decision about whether frozen food has been spoiled."

"6th Sense cooling

Whirlpools 6th sense cooling appliances constantly adapt to temperature changes. When a door is opened or after a temporary power cut, the sensors detect the change and channel chilled air into the storage zone, restoring the required temperature up to 5 times faster than in a conventional fridge. In No Frost Fresh Control models the temperature recovery is up to 10 times faster."

Go here and try this:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fault-codes/refrigeration-fault-codes/3102-whirlpool-american-fridge-freezer-fault-codes-a-test-2006-on.html

And also these Error Codes:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fault-codes/refrigeration-fault-codes/3101-whirlpool-american-fridge-freezer-fault-codes.html

The UK Whitegoods site/forum is an excellent source of info.

It's a little harder to diagnose if the model isn't known, ours is inside the door on our Samsung, have you looked inside for a label?

There's also this but just a guess as to the model....

inm0310.tripod.com/whi…htm

Edited by: "Likely2" 29th Aug 2014
kester76

Could be that there was a power cut earlier and it's just telling you … Could be that there was a power cut earlier and it's just telling you about it. If it's a frost free freezer when did you last defrost it ?

Frost Free Fridge FreezersDefrosting your fridge or freezer can be a … Frost Free Fridge FreezersDefrosting your fridge or freezer can be a painful, time consuming and awkward task. Most fridge freezers now contain the technology to provide the ability to never have to defrost again.

Jumpingphil

Whoosh! You didn't read what I quoted then?

Everyone did, and....was there some point to it or are you here wasting the OP's time to pleasure yourself....
Frost free freezers have a heating element which defrosts ice build up on the cooling element in the freezer. Water is then channeled down to an evaporating tray and used to cool the compressor. Excess Water in the freezer will cause the cooling element and air channel to ice up. Too much ice will block the rear cooling channel and prevent air flow to the fridge. Ever so often you should defrost the freezer to prevent ice build up.
Never put and open ice tray or loose water in your freezer
kester76

Frost free freezers have a heating element which defrosts ice build up on … Frost free freezers have a heating element which defrosts ice build up on the cooling element in the freezer. Water is then channeled down to an evaporating tray and used to cool the compressor. Excess Water in the freezer will cause the cooling element and air channel to ice up. Too much ice will block the rear cooling channel and prevent air flow to the fridge. Ever so often you should defrost the freezer to prevent ice build up.Never put and open ice tray or loose water in your freezer

Same happened to our Hotpoint fridge/freezer apparently its a design fault oO
I removed the back of the freezer compartment to be met with a block of ice.
The problem is the heating element doesnt extend far enough down over the channel that the water drains from.
So it freezes up and you left with a block of ice that gets so big it blocks the cooling fan to the fridge compartment.
I pulled the heating element down over that drain hole and its been perfect ever since
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants