Expired

Thermal blankets - like the one's runners wrap themselves in after a marthon

Found 31st Mar 2009
Do they just keep humans warm or would they work on anything?

I know it's a weird question, but the answer is vital!

1. Misc
  2. Blanket
17 Comments

Banned

dont know, have seen animals in them.

Also interesingly, don't always warm you up, keep your temp constant, so if you're really hot, a foil blanket will prevent overheating too.
x

depends what you wanted to use it on :?

Banned

They work on anything, satellites are encased in foil type material to reflect the suns rays and keep it cool

Original Poster

lumoruk;4794310

They work on anything, satellites are encased in foil type material to … They work on anything, satellites are encased in foil type material to reflect the suns rays and keep it cool

See that's what figured. It's a strange one, but I need to transport some hot food in containers for about an hour and I want to keep it as hot as possible. I"ve looked into decent sized thermal boxes and they're about £200.

So I thought why not line a cardboard box with one of these blankets (about a fiver), and wrap the food up inside it, jobs a good'un! Or do I need help? ;-)

what food and how much?

Im sure Argos do them, i'll have a look, back in a mo

Original Poster

rain;4794400

what food and how much?

Bit of a mixed bag, but things like curries and stir fries. Will be transfered in plastic boxes similar to those you get in Chinese take aways, say about 20/30 boxes.

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;4794440

]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=0182344is it these?

That kind of thing, although I've just found this one at Millets which looks a bit more basic, but would probably do the trick. Thanks for looking.

http://www.millets.co.uk/mantiki/images/product/thumbnail/580344-99-1234970484150.jpg

Original Poster

Thinking about it, would it be just as good to line a cardboard box with normal tinfoil?

Banned

Trickyjabs;4794359

See that's what figured. It's a strange one, but I need to transport … See that's what figured. It's a strange one, but I need to transport some hot food in containers for about an hour and I want to keep it as hot as possible. I"ve looked into decent sized thermal boxes and they're about £200.So I thought why not line a cardboard box with one of these blankets (about a fiver), and wrap the food up inside it, jobs a good'un! Or do I need help? ;-)

I think you're asking for trouble, you'll only be able to keep it lukewarm which will only help any bacteria multiple increasing the risk of food poisoning.

Consider fast freezing then reheating when you arrive

Trickyjabs;4794459

That kind of thing, although I've just found this one at Millets which … That kind of thing, although I've just found this one at Millets which looks a bit more basic, but would probably do the trick. Thanks for looking.

Your welcome, Lakeland used to do the foil lined bags and they do have a good range of containers etc, maybees have a look there too :thumbsup::) ]http//ww…oil

ferribox.co.uk/?gc…Ssw
i was thinking something like this. they use similar boxes for transporting fish it may be worth asking at your local chippy depending if they use fresh or frozen, or the fish counter at the local supermarket.
they are not porous so would clean and sanitise well.

Get some largish rocks clean them thoroughly (boil in water) then heat them in the oven and wrap in foil to put in with the food.

harlzter;4794934

Get some largish rocks clean them thoroughly (boil in water) then heat … Get some largish rocks clean them thoroughly (boil in water) then heat them in the oven and wrap in foil to put in with the food.

clever thinking. repped.

Original Poster

Some really great ideas, many thanks to everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ashes thread(prizes)58
    2. Gran Turismo Sport - Collector's Edition (PS4) £79.54 Delivered @ Amazon.de11
    3. Is Black Friday a big con!2231
    4. Beetlejuice Remake87

See more discussions