Things people say incorrectly

Found 12th FebEdited by:"miles136"
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I could care less
People say pacific instead of specific all the time, it's pretty much 50/50 on which will be used.

33245691-zd98w.jpg
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 12th Feb
Brought when it's bought is a special one.
People say 'that's below par' when something is bad. Surely to be below par is a good thing.......
115 Comments
"No its not his house he is just the lozenger (lodger)
she hardly ever speaks she is not a municata (communicator)
I could care less
"belive"
People say pacific instead of specific all the time, it's pretty much 50/50 on which will be used.

33245691-zd98w.jpg
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 12th Feb
Brought when it's bought is a special one.
Supposebly - I hear all the time

Thus - actually pronouncing the ‘th’ as in thug
I don't think you should have done /said that. By your own admission you don't think, and I thought about it and did /said it. Correctly or not I at least applied some thought. If you want your opinions to be considered at least say ' I think you should not have done /said that'
Another one is the advertisers '50% extra free'. It's either '33.33%' free or ' plus an extra 50% for the same price'. How can anything be - 'Extra free'? Free means unattached, without ties.
People say 'that's below par' when something is bad. Surely to be below par is a good thing.......
' I've got rest bite in an hour'. What the f is rest bite! The word is respite. 😄😄
In my house we purposely say some words wrong to be silly, a run on from when the girls were toddlers and couldn't fully pronounce the right things. A toblerone is a tog-le-own.

sometimes people don't say the wrong thing because they are stupid, sometimes they are just quirky and have their own way
mrty11 m ago

Another one is the advertisers '50% extra free'. It's either '33.33%' …Another one is the advertisers '50% extra free'. It's either '33.33%' free or ' plus an extra 50% for the same price'. How can anything be - 'Extra free'? Free means unattached, without ties.

Eh? If a 2 litre bottle of coke is usually £2, but they bring a special offer 3 litre bottle out for the same price, I would say they are perfectly entitled to say '50% extra free'.
AlcaWol
deeky34 m ago

Eh? If a 2 litre bottle of coke is usually £2, but they bring a special …Eh? If a 2 litre bottle of coke is usually £2, but they bring a special offer 3 litre bottle out for the same price, I would say they are perfectly entitled to say '50% extra free'.

To be accurate you are paying for 2 litres. Therefore, of the bottles contents, 33.3% is free.
4 for a £1
mrty30 m ago

To be accurate you are paying for 2 litres. Therefore, of the bottles …To be accurate you are paying for 2 litres. Therefore, of the bottles contents, 33.3% is free.

You need to read the full text. Usually there is an asterisk which says "compared to original size"
Anythink, Somethink... And all that jazz!
I'm going to hoover my room with the dyson

I'm going to 'tape' east Enders

Obviously no one in their right mind would tape eastenders
The ASDA

I'm just off to the TESCO.
HUKD Admin are really good
I'm going to buy an iPhone x
mrty1 h, 29 m ago

Another one is the advertisers '50% extra free'. It's either '33.33%' …Another one is the advertisers '50% extra free'. It's either '33.33%' free or ' plus an extra 50% for the same price'. How can anything be - 'Extra free'? Free means unattached, without ties.

bull
there are 2 words there
extra here obviously references the original amount to which there is an additional amount
ie 'attached, with ties'
My current pet hate is the use of 'loose' instead of lose.
grrr.
mrty57 m ago

To be accurate you are paying for 2 litres. Therefore, of the bottles …To be accurate you are paying for 2 litres. Therefore, of the bottles contents, 33.3% is free.

Hmm I vote for the above as incorrect.
I had an ex who asked me to get mishaped eggs (mixed size eggs) and liked eating an aunt fancy (french fancy bun)
Chimley rather than chimney
Surely the worst are could of, should of, would of etc?
woopedeedoo1 h, 52 m ago

People say 'that's below par' when something is bad. Surely to be below …People say 'that's below par' when something is bad. Surely to be below par is a good thing.......

That is a fairly universal thing
Can't think of anything other than golf that uses the reverse ?
farmlama1 h, 53 m ago

In my house we purposely say some words wrong to be silly, a run on from …In my house we purposely say some words wrong to be silly, a run on from when the girls were toddlers and couldn't fully pronounce the right things. A toblerone is a tog-le-own.sometimes people don't say the wrong thing because they are stupid, sometimes they are just quirky and have their own way

I used to say constipate instead of concentrate as a kid much hilarity

so "constipate on what you are doing" got used through a large chuck of adult life
The title of this thread.
People always mix up "I'm a ****" with "Covfefe".
RicknVic44 m ago

My current pet hate is the use of 'loose' instead of lose.grrr.

I second "loose" and raise you "breaks" instead of "brakes".

You don't have to go off this site to find multiple examples every day . But I suspect the culprits rarely actually "read" any comments .
Not an incorrect pronunciation, but incorrect usage....

‘Like’ and ‘literally’. The two most overused words currently. Especially like, cos it’s, like really annoying, like.

Examples....

’I, like, crossed the road’ - Nope, you didn’t do something similar. You actually crossed the road.

’I literally jumped out of my skin’ - No you didn’t, you’d be dead!
rogparki8 m ago

I second "loose" and raise you "breaks" instead of "brakes".You don't have …I second "loose" and raise you "breaks" instead of "brakes".You don't have to go off this site to find multiple examples every day . But I suspect the culprits rarely actually "read" any comments .

"Boarders' appears to be particularly challenging for many contributors on here.
Damp squid
Ebay related - people saying seller when referring to the buyer, when in fact they are the seller!.
My friend keeps on spelling lose as loose. Drives me mad, but I don't want to say anything.
drasim50 m ago

Damp squid

Actually , I know it's wrong but I kind of prefer the idea of a sad little damp squid , and after all I wonder how many people even know what a squib is , so I can see why they get confused . ( It's a tiny firework thing , just to save anyone the Google effort)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants