Things To Consider When Buying A New Fridge Freezer

EDITOR 6
Posted 10th Jan
Fridge freezers are something that we all use, although once they start to fail and it's time to get a new one, then you often have to shop around rather quickly. No one wants to be without a fridge. It's easy to just grab any fridge freezer because it looks good at first glance and the price seems reasonable. There are some things you can quickly check that will hopefully help you make a better choice.

If I have missed something out, or you wish to share your tips / advice then you're totally welcome to do so, as per usual!

A lot of the bellow is obvious to some people and to others it's a totally alien subject. I've tried to keep it simple and to the point so that it's nice and easy for anyone to read through, without any jargon involved.

Okay, here goes...

3385699.jpg
Fridge Capacity:

If you have the model number of your old fridge freezer, do your research online or in the manual to find out the capacity of your model. If you often struggled to get all of your shopping in, then it may be time to buy something a little bigger.

You will see the capacity measured in litres, so it's fairly simple to gauge the space inside without getting a measurement out

Door Splits
If you've been shopping around and noticed numbers that look like this
70/30, 60/40 and 50/50 don't panic it's nothing complicated. All this information gives you is a percentage of of space allocated to each section. The first number usually refers to the fridge and the second refers to the freezer. So 50/50 is an even amount of space between the two sections. 60/40 would mean the fridge is 20% larger than the freezer. See... simple

Note: It would still be a good idea to check the capacity for each in the model specifications

Frost Free or not frost free? That is the question.
Most of you will be aware of the wonders of frost free freezers, they basically prevent the build up of ice, meaning that defrosting becomes a thing of the past. Something most people would appreciate if they're not a fan of spending ages carefully scraping away ice

Sometimes you'll find a great looking model priced well and it's not frost free. It's not the end of the world, it's just a nice feature to have and save some hassle.

Energy Ratings:
I don't think i'll need to explain this in great detail as we all know using less energy is the way to go when possible. The rating system goes from A+++ all the way down to to G. With A ratings being the most energy efficiency and G being the lowest in terms of efficiency.

A lot of online retailers will mention the energy rating quite clearly, such as this example at AO, where they mention it in the product title and there's a data sheet to check out too.

3385699.jpg
Do you have space for a bigger fridge freezer?
I know, I know... it's super obvious to check first, but if you are rushing you might miss something. The width is something you'd likely check first, but do make sure you check the other measurements too. Just in case it ends up sticking out and getting in the way.

Of course making sure you can get it into your home is something you'll want to check too, especially if you're buying something much bigger than your previous model! (Thanks Fanpages)

3385699.jpg
What is the back of the fridge freezer made of and why does it matter?
You may have seen articles regarding this already, for those that haven't it's worth reading on.

A lot of fridge freezers out there are backed with a plastic that turns out to be flammable. I don't need to go into detail too much as to why this isn't ideal, but the bottom line is that they are no longer allowed to be produced.

So I can't buy a plastic backed one online? Phew!
Hmmm, the likeliness is slim, although from what I have read, manufactures were allowed to continue to sell the existing models through. So keep an eye out and make sure you grab yourself a metal backed one just in case.

The below is from Which? - Source
"Following our campaign against fire-risk fridge freezers, new British safety standards designed to make these appliances safer were introduced on 11 July 2019. Fridge freezers with flammable plastic backs do not meet this new standard, so manufacturers are effectively banned from making them. While this is a positive, if overdue, development, it remains legal for retailers to sell fire-risk models that have already been made"

3385699.jpg
Smart Fridges - Are they worth it?
Well this will depend solely on you and how you plan to use your kitchen. You can pay a fair bit extra for a model which has all kinds of fancy gadgets on it. The big question you need to ask is "Will I actually use that" Some even have big touch screen panels on.

Take the Samsung Family Hub RF56M9540SR/EU for instance. This is a beastly bit of kit with a rather large touch screen built in for things like:

• Creating Shopping lists
  • Watching TV
  • Listening to the radio

Crazy right? Well how about the built in internal camera that takes a snapshot of the inside, so you can see what's left while you're out It's all rather futuristic, like we're actually turning into the Jetsons!

Of course this is on the very high-end models, you can pick up much cheaper smart fridges that might me more your thing that will have features you could see yourself using. Like remote temperature checking, holiday modes ect... Or you might just want to be like myself and go for a good old fashion fridge freezer with none of the added extras.

3385699.jpg
Guarantee / Warranty
As with all electrical items you'll get a certain amount of cover here, should anything go wrong.. What you will find a lot of the time is that various retailers may have the same item, but advertise different warranty amounts.

It's worth thinking about how much that piece of mind is worth to you. Sometimes the price difference on the same item, sold at another store will be tiny and other times you'll be looking at a rather large bump.

3385699.jpg
See all current Fridge deals listed on hotukdeals HERE

Beko ASML142B 462L American Style Multi Door Fridge Freezer £358.99 Including Delivery - Thanks devinn

3385699.jpg
  • Unique 3 door design marries the convenience and energy saving nature of a freezer drawer with a large capacity fridge
  • Active Fresh Blue Light is designed to help your fruit and veg continue photosynthesising, protecting their Vitamin C content so they stay fresh for longer
  • 462 Litres of usable space, 264 litres in the fridge and 198 litres in the freezer
  • Frost free so you never need to defrost ever again
  • 50/50 Split with fixed door hinge
  • A+ Energy rating to save you money off your utility bills (428 kWh/year)
  • 1 year warranty for peace of mind
  • Dimensions (mm): H1850 x W740 x D770

Hisense RS741N4WC11 American Fridge Freezer £489 Delivered at Boots Kitchen Appliance (States £20 delivery, although there is a £10 option during checkout)

Note - For £10 extra there is an option at Marks Electrical with a 5 year parts and labour guarantee

3385699.jpg
  • Energy Rating - A+
  • Frost Free Freezer - Yes
  • Total Capacity - 562 Litres
  • Fridge Capacity - 370L
  • Freezer Capacity - 192L
  • Water Dispenser - Yes
  • Twin Thermostat System - Yes
  • Dimensions - (H)179.0 x (W)90.8 x (D)74.5
Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

6 Comments
Also check minimum / maximum ambient temperature for correct function, and the recommended temperature for most efficient function.
Can you change the door opening side
Another useful consideration: "Will it go through the entrance to my home?".
Can it be used in a garage or an out building.

On a serious note though, Will the mother-in-law comfortably fit in it or will it be a squash.
Edited by: "richp" 10th Jan
richp10/01/2020 13:56

Can it be used in a garage or an out building. On a serious note though, …Can it be used in a garage or an out building. On a serious note though, Will the mother-in-law comfortably fit in it or will it be a squash.

Curious on this too - dismembering can be messy business
Will it go through the door opening as I found out the hard way
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions