Things to do in Lake District

Found 17th Apr
Going with the wife in a few weeks, anyone have suggestion for any must see places while we're there?
Currently planning on doing Muncaster Castle, Wray Castle, Train and river cruise. Should have time for 1 more day out but not sure where.

Nothing too strenuous as my wife is almost 7 months pregnant.

Also, any suggestions for good local places to eat would also be good.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
We hired one of them little motor boats instead of the cruises you should try that it was great just go wherever you want.
There's a few hire places scattered around.
Oh and also the pub at Ambelside is really nice if it's sunny the Wateredge Inn
Edited by: "stefromuk" 17th Apr
stefromuk15 m ago

Oh and also the pub at Ambelside is really nice if it's sunny the …Oh and also the pub at Ambelside is really nice if it's sunny the Wateredge Inn

thank you for suggestions
Which part
snoopy186 m ago

Which part

Staying in Bowness but have car, so anywhere within around an hours drive
A nice amble around Grasmere and buy some delicious gingerbread?
Cross Windermere on the Bowness ferry and visit Beatrix Potters house?
An exhilarating drive over Kirkstone Pass into Glenridding and then a gentle ride on the Ullswater Steamer?
A lot of what to do in the Lakes depends upon the weather. On a nice sunny day EVERYWHERE is lovely - the views are fantastic.

I would recommend a rowing boat but perhaps not at 7 months! There are large boat excursions on the larger lakes - these are great on a nice day. Can park your car at one location then work your way around various points on the Lake - normally at least a cafe and some gift shops/museum at each location.

In bad weather then outside activities can be a bit miserable. There is a slate mine somewhere in the Lakes - worth a visit as they take you into the old mines and explain the history.
As soon as you get there, tell everyone you see that there is only one lake in the Lake District.
They will be amazed by your general knowledge.
If your near Lakeside at anytime, pop into the Whitewater hotel and spa and I'll hook you up with a free day pass to use facilities.

Pool, Jacuzzi, steam/sauna rooms, Gym, table tennis and squash court all to use at your leisure

If the weather is nice, jump on board one of the steamers from Bowness for a trip around the lake (ensure its the big steamer though and not smaller boats) They have small cafe/bar on board too.
Link here windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/ (Cheaper to buy tickets online)

If you have children, take a look at Brockhole (small boat from Bowness gives free entry to Brockhole)
There they can do a tree top trek/archery/horse rides etc. Link here. brockhole.co.uk/

Wray Castle is not what you would expect on the inside, it is more for children these days but stunning grounds and appearance from the outside. Link here nationaltrust.org.uk/wra…tle

If your looking further afield, and would like a few hours out, look at driving over Wrynose and Hardnott pass which will be around 45 mins from Bowness. The views are to die for, but be careful and ensure you have a good clutch/brakes on your vehicle. the latter will take you to Eskdale Green where the little steam train is and cafe. Link here ravenglass-railway.co.uk/

You could venture south. about 45 mins from Bowness to the south lakes zoo too.
Link here southlakessafarizoo.com/

Above all though, enjoy whatever you do.
Edited by: "Gandalfbaggins" 17th Apr
deleted1597344
South Lakes Zoo is a disgrace, i would never give them any of my money the place should have been shut down long ago!
If this was last year, I would agree, but loads of improvements for animals and staff alike have been made since 'the takeover'.
deleted1597344
Gandalfbaggins7 m ago

If this was last year, I would agree, but loads of improvements for …If this was last year, I would agree, but loads of improvements for animals and staff alike have been made since 'the takeover'.

Animals are still dying since the take over, somehow I don’t think anything has improved. I’ve not heard of the outcome of what happened with the latest fiasco of the lion being poison but it’s being investigated by the RSPCA, and they still have major concerns over the welfare of all animals.
Keswick is nice to have a potter round i prefer keswick to Bowness
Gandalfbaggins59 m ago

If your near Lakeside at anytime, pop into the Whitewater hotel and spa …If your near Lakeside at anytime, pop into the Whitewater hotel and spa and I'll hook you up with a free day pass to use facilities. Pool, Jacuzzi, steam/sauna rooms, Gym, table tennis and squash court all to use at your leisure If the weather is nice, jump on board one of the steamers from Bowness for a trip around the lake (ensure its the big steamer though and not smaller boats) They have small cafe/bar on board too.Link here https://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/ (Cheaper to buy tickets online)If you have children, take a look at Brockhole (small boat from Bowness gives free entry to Brockhole) There they can do a tree top trek/archery/horse rides etc. Link here. http://www.brockhole.co.uk/Wray Castle is not what you would expect on the inside, it is more for children these days but stunning grounds and appearance from the outside. Link here https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wray-castleIf your looking further afield, and would like a few hours out, look at driving over Wrynose and Hardnott pass which will be around 45 mins from Bowness. The views are to die for, but be careful and ensure you have a good clutch/brakes on your vehicle. the latter will take you to Eskdale Green where the little steam train is and cafe. Link here https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/You could venture south. about 45 mins from Bowness to the south lakes zoo too.Link here http://www.southlakessafarizoo.com/Above all though, enjoy whatever you do.

Thank you, very kind of you, and thanks to all others too.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 25 m ago

As soon as you get there, tell everyone you see that there is only one …As soon as you get there, tell everyone you see that there is only one lake in the Lake District.They will be amazed by your general knowledge.

I was going to say that but you beat me to it
I found the Lake District very boring and depressing
Pretty much all boating activities are a fair bit cheaper at Keswick compared to Windermere.
I live up this neck of the woods. And must admit it can be quite boring here. There's really not much to do.

Keswick is probably best area. But it's just hills rain, wind and lakes everywhere. It can be lovely just to drive about if its nice weather.

Expect loads of teacher type people who like walking carrying huge backpacks just to walk a few miles.
Locals will be wearing trainers or shoes etc.
Parking is a rip off everywhere, so bring plenty of change. And a decent jacket.

I think here you just have to relax and enjoy the scenery more than anything, pub food is usually good. Window shop, try local products.

I always like feeding the ducks at Keswick and having a row about on the lake.

If your going to munster Castle then Ravenglass railway might be worth a visit to kill a few hours. Always take grandkids there as they like the little train.
Forgot to add, just ask the locals. We are a friendly bunch and know all the little local places to eat etc.
psychobitchfromhell19 h, 29 m ago

I was going to say that but you beat me to it

Yeah, Bassenthwaite Lake (previously known as either Broadwater or Bastunthwaite apparently) is the only body of water traditionally named a lake. Larger bodies of water in the Lake District are generally named as mere or water. Smaller ones are known as tarns (a small mountain lake).
Edited by: "LemonHead" 18th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions