Things WE could all do to create more jobs

Found 16th Jan
This thread aimed at people who are just employed with no power on creating new jobs there is many things we can do to stop the cuts of jobs with minimal effort

it's a hard truth that machines are taking away jobs everyday and for many it's only inevitable because we have become lazy, please reply on suggestions of things that us normal people can do in our daily life will create more jobs

Use Self service Less
Avoid Amazon if its the same price as a retail shop

Please reply with more
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but maybe employ a few teachers to teach grammar, punctuation and the English language. I'm sorry OP , I don't mean to offend but if you as a seemingly educated person cannot construct a sentence, what hope our poor huddled masses? Off to duck my head back down below the parapet.
Ban overseas call centre staff for companies that operate in this country
Get rid of the Tory government.
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but maybe employ a few …I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but maybe employ a few teachers to teach grammar, punctuation and the English language. I'm sorry OP , I don't mean to offend but if you as a seemingly educated person cannot construct a sentence, what hope our poor huddled masses? Off to duck my head back down below the parapet.

No idea how that would make a difference, we all know what the OP is saying
80 Comments
If we all threw fast food packaging on the floor, surely that would create jobs?
ScubaDudes7 m ago

If we all threw fast food packaging on the floor, surely that would create …If we all threw fast food packaging on the floor, surely that would create jobs?

Yeah, more people on the streets to fine the litter bugs.
Drink in the pub more
More.
I was gonna say "Start up a bakery" but you lot would only loaf around.
Get rid of the Tory government.
stop being tight gits and do everything yourself, but pay other people to do it, and put your feet up
It’s inevitable, machines just do repetitive tasks better. People can’t consume more and more want cheaper and cheaper things but expect humans to build them.
I always leave my tray and rubbish on the table in Mc ds ,if we all took the tray back and put the rubbish away il be doing a teenager out of a job . Done my bit 🏻
Edited by: "ashmac" 16th Jan
ashmac2 m ago

I always leave my tray and rubbish on the table in Mc ds ,if we all took …I always leave my tray and rubbish on the table in Mc ds ,if we all took the tray back and put the rubbish away il be doing a teenager out of a job . Done my bit 🏻

i always want to do that, but never have the courage to do so. the next time i am in macdonalds, i am going to do just that
jb6633 m ago

Would we pay the UK staff the same wages?
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but maybe employ a few teachers to teach grammar, punctuation and the English language. I'm sorry OP , I don't mean to offend but if you as a seemingly educated person cannot construct a sentence, what hope our poor huddled masses? Off to duck my head back down below the parapet.
ipswich786 m ago

Would we pay the UK staff the same wages?

It would be the living wage, more jobs, more tax generated
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but maybe employ a few …I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but maybe employ a few teachers to teach grammar, punctuation and the English language. I'm sorry OP , I don't mean to offend but if you as a seemingly educated person cannot construct a sentence, what hope our poor huddled masses? Off to duck my head back down below the parapet.

jb668 m ago

It would be the living wage, more jobs, more tax generated

How does that benefit the company employing them and paying higher wages for UK staff? It's ironic this discussion has been brought up on a site like this where everybody wants things cheaper and cheaper yet fail to understand the economics behind it.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 16th Jan
ipswich788 m ago

How does that benefit the company employing them and paying higher wages …How does that benefit the company employing them and paying higher wages for UK staff? It's ironic this discussion has been brought up on a site like this where everybody wants things cheaper and cheaper yet fail to understand the economics behind it.

When a company sends millions of pounds to india that is money lost from the UK. If companies were forced to use a workforce in the UK the money stays in the UK, thats more people spending, more people creating more tax to get pumped back into the system. This would lower the cost of living.

Its clear there is another level in economics you cant grasp
Edited by: "jb66" 16th Jan
jb662 m ago

When a company sends millions of pounds to india that is money lost from …When a company sends millions of pounds to india that is money lost from the UK. If companies were forced to use a workforce in the UK the money stays in the UK, thats more people spending, more people creating more tax to get pumped back into the system. This would lower the cost of living.Its clear there is another level in economics you cant grasp

So what if said company can’t afford a UK call centre? You force them to bring it here then potentially bankrupt them. Genius.
ipswich781 m ago

So what if said company can’t afford a UK call centre? You force them to b …So what if said company can’t afford a UK call centre? You force them to bring it here then potentially bankrupt them. Genius.

Name me a company
jb661 m ago

Name me a company

Any company? Carillion.
ipswich782 m ago

Any company? Carillion.

I dont think Carillion went bust due to call centre wages
jb663 m ago

I dont think Carillion would go bust if were using UK call centres

Okay not sure what your point is there... but understand this. Companies use foreign based call centres as cost cutting exercises. So based on this initial suggestion would a company not be allowed any foreign workforce? What about international offices? Where would it stop - it’s a lovely idea in principal but ludicrous in the real world. And also, very small minded.
Be willing to pay more for everything.

Honestly I can see universal credit being the future. Everyone gets enough to live very basically on then jobs just supplement income. More expendable money means people buy more services which creates more jobs.
Take Virgin Media for example, they are in a really competitive market. TalkTalk, BT, SKY all providing fairly similar packages at pretty cheap prices, in order to keep the prices low they have to cut as many corners as they can to keep costs down.

TalkTalk move call centres to india, saves a few quid a month, sky copy, so do BT. Now we are all left with broadband a few pound cheaper a month, but at a cost of unemployment and cash flow heading out our country. If it was mandatory that a high percentage of staff have to work in this country, yes our broadband may be a few quid more, but unemployment will be less and we will be bringing more money into the system. In the grand scheme of things costs would drop elsewhere, possibly a lower tax rate
jb6630 m ago

So employing someone to teach people to speak and write English would not be beneficial in a world where English is one of the most widely spoken languages? It seems that many in this country are now only semi literate. We don't have an industrial backbone any more. What on earth have we got to offer?
joedastudd4 m ago

Be willing to pay more for everything.Honestly I can see universal credit …Be willing to pay more for everything.Honestly I can see universal credit being the future. Everyone gets enough to live very basically on then jobs just supplement income. More expendable money means people buy more services which creates more jobs.

Interesting article here about that Click - whilst with automation / robotics etc it’s a possibility but I can’t see it in most of our lifetimes. But yes, in the future you could well be right. It could also bring greater splits across society from a financial perspective though which could be hugely negative.
ipswich788 m ago

Okay not sure what your point is there... but understand this. Companies …Okay not sure what your point is there... but understand this. Companies use foreign based call centres as cost cutting exercises. So based on this initial suggestion would a company not be allowed any foreign workforce? What about international offices? Where would it stop - it’s a lovely idea in principal but ludicrous in the real world. And also, very small minded.

I've not got hours and hours to make up the small print, obviously its unrealistic to have 100% of the workforce to be in the UK, but if big companies like apple want to trade in the UK I dont think its unreasonable that they provide a substantial amount of jobs
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

So employing someone to teach people to speak and write English would not …So employing someone to teach people to speak and write English would not be beneficial in a world where English is one of the most widely spoken languages? It seems that many in this country are now only semi literate. We don't have an industrial backbone any more. What on earth have we got to offer?

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2016. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

Machinery including computers: US$60.3 billion (14.7% of total exports)Vehicles : $51.7 billion (12.6%)Pharmaceuticals: $32.6 billion (8%)Gems, precious metals: $27.5 billion (6.7%)Electrical machinery, equipment: $27.1 billion (6.6%)Mineral fuels including oil: $26.2 billion (6.4%)Aircraft, spacecraft: $20.7 billion (5.1%)Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $17.2 billion (4.2%)Plastics, plastic articles: $11.2 billion (2.7%)Organic chemicals: $10.8 billion (2.6%)Vehicles were the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 80.8% for the 7-year period starting in 2009.

In second place for improving export sales was the aerospace category which gained 72.7% led by significant international sales for airplanes and turbojets.

UK exported gems and precious metals posted the third-fastest gain in value up 64.4% thanks to booming gold and platinum shipments.

Mineral fuels including oil led the decliners down by -34.5%.
In response to the fact that the future is bleak for future generations of unskilled workers and those unable to work, there is a movement growing to support the idea of an Unconditional Basic Income or Citizens Wage. In this world, every citizen would receive from government a flat rate income which would cover the basic necessities of life plus a little over for discretionary spending. All other benefits would disappear. If you choose to work, this is does not affect your Basic Income. There are many arguments for and against and there have been limited trials in various countries. To me, it seems a no brainer that this will be the future.
jb663 m ago

I've not got hours and hours to make up the small print, obviously its …I've not got hours and hours to make up the small print, obviously its unrealistic to have 100% of the workforce to be in the UK, but if big companies like apple want to trade in the UK I dont think its unreasonable that they provide a substantial amount of jobs

What’s substantial? Again, a silly suggestion - Apple already employ people in the UK.

So based on your comment a companies product can only be sold in the UK if they employ a ‘substantial amount of jobs’. Does that include all food producers that we import from across the world?

We live in a global economy now.
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

So employing someone to teach people to speak and write English would not …So employing someone to teach people to speak and write English would not be beneficial in a world where English is one of the most widely spoken languages? It seems that many in this country are now only semi literate. We don't have an industrial backbone any more. What on earth have we got to offer?

I'm semi literate and have a good job. I rarely write, I don't think I'm capable of being literate. I had many years of school already, whats another few years going to do
Why is a job in a shop any more important than a job at Amazon?

A job is a job.
ipswich783 m ago

What’s substantial? Again, a silly suggestion - Apple already employ p …What’s substantial? Again, a silly suggestion - Apple already employ people in the UK.So based on your comment a companies product can only be sold in the UK if they employ a ‘substantial amount of jobs’. Does that include all food producers that we import from across the world?We live in a global economy now.

Substantial? Thats up for debate. Are you saying having more strict employment arrangments wont create more jobs?
jb662 m ago

Substantial? Thats up for debate. Are you saying having more strict …Substantial? Thats up for debate. Are you saying having more strict employment arrangments wont create more jobs?

But a government can’t and shouldn’t dictate to a business how it’s run. That’s a very slippery slope...

And I didn’t say what you are suggesting. Just pointed out the massive flaws in your comments.
ipswich7813 m ago

But a government can’t and shouldn’t dictate to a business how it’s run. Th …But a government can’t and shouldn’t dictate to a business how it’s run. That’s a very slippery slope... And I didn’t say what you are suggesting. Just pointed out the massive flaws in your comments.

I think the UK (after brexit) can do more to "encourage" uk operating companies to use uk call center staff rather than outsourcing thousands of jobs to other countries.

The 10 years time we probably will end up talking to alexa anyway!
jb6629 m ago

Take Virgin Media for example, they are in a really competitive market. …Take Virgin Media for example, they are in a really competitive market. TalkTalk, BT, SKY all providing fairly similar packages at pretty cheap prices, in order to keep the prices low they have to cut as many corners as they can to keep costs down.TalkTalk move call centres to india, saves a few quid a month, sky copy, so do BT. Now we are all left with broadband a few pound cheaper a month, but at a cost of unemployment and cash flow heading out our country. If it was mandatory that a high percentage of staff have to work in this country, yes our broadband may be a few quid more, but unemployment will be less and we will be bringing more money into the system. In the grand scheme of things costs would drop elsewhere, possibly a lower tax rate

This is a very good arguement, but here is my take, to add to it.

Talktalk have saved a few bob by moving their call centre abroad, whereas Plusnet's call centre is in the UK. However, the prices for both services are usually pretty much the same. Therefore, there is money to be made from outsourcing, but the consumer doesn't always see the benefit.
Stop using big chains and multi-nationals, use independent outlets instead. This would allow some recovery to market forces and end cartels, thus creating more different companies selling and employing competitively. Fish, meat and fruit markets could return and makers of non-food items could have varied stockists.
I believe that a growth in independent business would lead to an increase in manufacturing (probably from small operators, who could develop into medium sized ones).

The same few big outlets would no longer have a stranglehold on suppliers or be able to own manufacturers who become pinned to the floor for price.

More to share out, wages increase, more people employed, wages more competitive, there you go, all we need to do is stop using Tesco
Among others.
Edited by: "studyform" 17th Jan
ipswich781 h, 14 m ago

Okay not sure what your point is there... but understand this. Companies …Okay not sure what your point is there... but understand this. Companies use foreign based call centres as cost cutting exercises. So based on this initial suggestion would a company not be allowed any foreign workforce? What about international offices? Where would it stop - it’s a lovely idea in principal but ludicrous in the real world. And also, very small minded.

I hear what you are saying.. that said

The Philippines have an employment policy that if a filipino can do the job then the company must employ a filipino

And

It's OK going on about cost cutting exercises like outsourcing call centres but the reality is most of the profits (costs saved) go into the bonuses of the CEO's/share holders etc. Of course there will be potentially a benefit to their customers (cheaper prices) but as #jb66 stated the loss in local revenue/taxes/spending resources doesn't benefit the UK economy in reality.
Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Jan
jb664 h, 7 m ago

I'm semi literate and have a good job. I rarely write, I don't think I'm …I'm semi literate and have a good job. I rarely write, I don't think I'm capable of being literate. I had many years of school already, whats another few years going to do

It would appear you can construct a sentence and spell. Schooling was obviously effective in your case.
There are some very interesting points being brought up in this discussion. Will they produce more jobs in Britain? I'm not sure. I'm totally on board with the getting rid of the self checkout thingy as it goes wrong every time I try. That said though, the till operator in Tesco today was dire. The milk was cheese by the time she got to me.
The Amazon thing confuses me. You should buy at a local store if it is cheaper or the same price, but if it is more expensive you can buy from Amazon? They have far fewer overheads than a physical store which is why they are cheaper and why we use them. I can't see how this will help local sellers or increase job opportunities.
If we are to create more jobs, we need to do it at a grass roots level. Buy from your local butcher or greengrocer. Tesco won't go bust if you switch allegiance. Also, get out and be part of your local community. Don't sit at home playing computer games, go for a walk in the park and get a bit of fresh air. While you are out there, have a cup of tea in the tea room. Go to your local library or museum. All these things employ people and many of them we just ignore
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants