Things you hate most in a cinema screening

Found 22nd Feb
What do you guys hate about watching movies in a cinema?
Community Updates
MiscEntertainment
Top comments
not being young enough to think a quickie in the back row is a realistic possibility.
People coughing their germs everywhere
The cost - mostly of the food - £12 for popcorn that costs literally pennies and a large coke. If bought anywhere but a cinema would cost about £4;
People eating really noisy/smelly food - since when did nachos or hot dogs become cinema food;
The millions of adverts at the start of a film
Edited by: "winifer" 22nd Feb
Other people.
82 Comments
not being young enough to think a quickie in the back row is a realistic possibility.
People coughing their germs everywhere
People eating loudly. People talking loudly. People basically not being able to watch a film in the proper manner.

It's why I prefer the theatre. You're less likely to have the evening ruined by uncouth individuals.
The cost - mostly of the food - £12 for popcorn that costs literally pennies and a large coke. If bought anywhere but a cinema would cost about £4;
People eating really noisy/smelly food - since when did nachos or hot dogs become cinema food;
The millions of adverts at the start of a film
Edited by: "winifer" 22nd Feb
Other people.
Watching the film by myself
Uh oh, I have too many:

1. Popcorn especially if its in a bag and not a carton, its just too noisy.
2. Anything rustling at all, at least prep your sweats or open bags etc. before the film starts.
3. People chatting during the film (chat before the film is fine but as soon as that screen comes up with the film title and rating, your mouth goes shut)
4. Looking at their phones during the film.
5. Too many people in the screen, gets a little too hot.

wow im picky, maybe i should stop going...
Peeps putting their jackets/bags/general cack on your booked seats and looking offended when they have to move it all. Rips my knitting
Other people.

Long live streaming
A Home Cinema system and an Internet connection, life is good
I'm protecting the environment, one GB at a time
was in a cinema a few years ago couple behind me
him translating film word for word for his non english speaking partner
luckily it was a decent cinema with ushers , one of whom came over and told him he would have to be quiet they promptly left the cinema
CelestialLegend22nd Feb

Other people.

^ this to the point that I don't go any more. I will return when people can shut the f up and actually watch the film.
Everything and everyone, hence why I will never go to a multiplex again, the local indy cinema aint bad tho, but that is policed by a very butch usherette who tolerates no crap, screaming kid, noisy eaters, mobile users are ejected quick smart.
How about the fact that you pay top notch (especially for a family of four). Then you are bombarded with 30 mins of adverts including adverts that remind you that you should not pirate the ****ing filum that you have paid for.

Add that on top of "other people", the expensive snacks (which we never buy anymore).

Whereas (*cough) watching them at home, no adverts, cheap snacks, pause button, volume control and nobody kicking your chair for the whole movie.
Edited by moderator: "swearing" 22nd Feb
cdm2225 m ago

^ this to the point that I don't go any more. I will return when people …^ this to the point that I don't go any more. I will return when people can shut the f up and actually watch the film.

I wish there was some way round it, like a certain time or place to sit. I have concluded this to be impossible.

I sit at the back row mostly to avoid getting my chair kicked, but low and behold despite an empty cinema the only other seat that's apparently appealing is the one next to me, and I'll be lucky if they haven't decided themselves that in fact the chair I have booked is better than any other and as it's an empty cinema I can choose any other seat.

As you can tell, I love modern society and it's way of thinking!
the adverts, like there loads, so i always ask them what time is the film acctulay starting, already got seat's reserved, it should be five mins of adverts,five mins of trailers. not 20 too 30 mins, and people who keep knocking the chair
I think it's a good experience to be honest.

Maybe some sweet wrappers can be annoying, but it's just a lesson in patience.

Adverts, and movie adverts are actually quite good imo. Builds you into the mood.

Films over 2 hours should have a 5 minute break possibly.
Years ago, all films had an interval.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals2 h, 9 m ago

People eating loudly. People talking loudly. People basically not being …People eating loudly. People talking loudly. People basically not being able to watch a film in the proper manner.It's why I prefer the theatre. You're less likely to have the evening ruined by uncouth individuals.

Imax Waterloo, premium seats, centre back row. You'll watch a film in a proper manner under those conditions.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 22nd Feb
Slightly off topic but car parking costs as when it costs £5.50 for four hours it's pretty steep. Just gives you enough time to watch a film and grab a meal. Only other thing is how hot some cinemas get.
50 minutes of adverts prior to the screening. Then the lack of balance and forced loudness of the sound.

But apparently I'm not allowed to say that, I seem to have upset half of HUKD in the latest Vue deal.
OllieSt2 h, 39 m ago

Imax Waterloo, premium seats, centre back row. You'll watch a film in a …Imax Waterloo, premium seats, centre back row. You'll watch a film in a proper manner under those conditions.

agreed although it can get very hot in that imax
you should probably all go to the cinema together and avoid the rude and loud people.
Adverts, other people, expensive drinks/snacks,having to pay extra for 3D glasses, then they want them back to recycle even though the ones you bought were recycled !
Bar from them i enjoy the cinema
themachman19 m ago

Adverts, other people, expensive drinks/snacks,having to pay extra for 3D …Adverts, other people, expensive drinks/snacks,having to pay extra for 3D glasses, then they want them back to recycle even though the ones you bought were recycled !Bar from them i enjoy the cinema

You get to keep them as you bought them. I got four that we use on the TV and take to the cinema when we watch something in 3D.
Atleast no one complains about Peewee Herman grunting next to them
1) People getting up looking to go to the toilet/get a treat and blocking my view or having to get up myself to let them out and back in.
2) People in front of me using their phone
3) People talking
4) The person next to me tying to steal the arm rest. B*tch please, that's mine! Should have left that seat as a gap between us. lol
5) The lack of subtitles. Subtitled showing aren't that great in mine and the time doesn't quite suit. So mainly because of this I don't go to the cinema anymore
Humans and chewing gum under the seats or seat handles
The cost is the only downside; everything else is, as @Chiptivo mentioned, a lesson in your ability to be tolerant towards others.

If other humans are a problem, book a screening at an antisocial hour.

I am regularly the only viewer, or one of the few customers, at very late/very early hour-screenings.

Perhaps your chosen cinema theatres are in locations where the community is rude or disrespectful, but nobody has ever bothered me with their mobile telephone, or talking, or kicking my chair, or "stolen" my armrest, or any other issue reported above.
fanpages8 m ago

I am regularly the only viewer, or one of the few customers, at very …I am regularly the only viewer, or one of the few customers, at very late/very early hour-screenings.

What I don't get is - how do people know you're going?

deeky3 m ago

What I don't get is - how do people know you're going?

Up until a couple of weeks ago (when I became ill), I went every week... but I think you were trying to be funny.

Ha ha. It's the way you tell 'em, etc.

Seriously, though, if someone is bothering you with their behaviour, how difficult is it to ask them (politely) to stop?
fanpages7 m ago

Up until a couple of weeks ago (when I became ill), I went every week... …Up until a couple of weeks ago (when I became ill), I went every week... but I think you were trying to be funny.Ha ha. It's the way you tell 'em, etc.Seriously, though, if someone is bothering you with their behaviour, how difficult is it to ask them (politely) to stop?

Trying?
deeky5 m ago

Trying?

Yes, you can be!
Is there a demand for a 'Quiet Cinema Auditorium' or 'Quiet Time' a bit like the Quiet Carriage on a train??
davewave3 m ago

Is there a demand for a 'Quiet Cinema Auditorium' or 'Quiet Time' a bit …Is there a demand for a 'Quiet Cinema Auditorium' or 'Quiet Time' a bit like the Quiet Carriage on a train??

Austim-friendly screenings already take place at my local multiplex.
The films annoy me.

Looking forward to I Tonya , the Post was also good as was Three Billboards.
I've seen a lot of rubbish though, black panther was an example.
fanpages1 m ago

Austim-friendly screenings already take place at my local multiplex.

And people need to be quiet and polite?
davewave3 m ago

And people need to be quiet and polite?

Not specifically; the volume is reduced, & the lighting is changed.
fanpages7 m ago

Not specifically; the volume is reduced, & the lighting is changed.

so it wouldn't really address the gripes in this post...a proposed Quiet Auditorium would require quiet and politeness from the audience!
lumsdot34 m ago

The films annoy me.Looking forward to I Tonya , the Post was also good as …The films annoy me.Looking forward to I Tonya , the Post was also good as was Three Billboards.I've seen a lot of rubbish though, black panther was an example.

Don't say that, i'm going to see Black Panther at the weekend
The thing I hate at the cinema are people eating loudly and the light from mobile phones as it distracts you from the movie
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants