Thinking about having a Brazilian slate patio, any thoughts?

Found 26th Jun 2016
Having a new patio and was looking at black Brazilian slate. Went to a place at Worksop yesterday and really liked the look and quality. Calibrated to 22mm, product looked well packaged etc. The black limestone was considerably cheaper and looked quite similar but didn't look as good quality. What would be the pros and cons of both? Link to the slate I was looking at. Thanks in advance for replies.

pavingstones.co.uk/pro…te/
Community Updates
AskGarden FurnitureHP
16 Comments
I had a Brazilian once - didn't care for it. Totally 100% natural now. X)
antomac1001

I had a Brazilian once - didn't care for it. Totally 100% natural now. X)

Nice would appreciate some pictures.
antomac1001

Always ready to oblige

Thanks for your help, slightly disappointed with the photo. Next.
kramvic

Thanks for your help, slightly disappointed with the photo. Next.

ignore my attempts at brevity. To be quite honest though, I think the Black Brazilian slate (in the pic/link you provided) has a 'plasticky' almost linoleum look.
antomac1001

ignore my attempts at brevity. To be quite honest though, I think the … ignore my attempts at brevity. To be quite honest though, I think the Black Brazilian slate (in the pic/link you provided) has a 'plasticky' almost linoleum look.

I know what you mean but in the flesh they're not as bad as that and look nice. Thanks anyway.
Well first my condolences for having to go to Worksop. X)

While I'm a big fan of natural slate flooring I'm not keen on it outdoors. Go outside and look at a black car on the street. It has rain spots on and looks dusty. Think the car has probably been washed in the last few weeks too. Now imagine what your patio will look like most of the year? I like to sit and look out the French doors (all year) to relax, think and reflect. It would drive me mad. So it would be light colours or wood for me.

The ironic thing is my both cars are dark! (Dark Blue and Black)
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Well first my condolences for having to go to Worksop. :(X)While I'm a … Well first my condolences for having to go to Worksop. :(X)While I'm a big fan of natural slate flooring I'm not keen on it outdoors. Go outside and look at a black car on the street. It has rain spots on and looks dusty. Think the car has probably been washed in the last few weeks too. Now imagine what your patio will look like most of the year? I like to sit and look out the French doors (all year) to relax, think and reflect. It would drive me mad. So it would be light colours or wood for me.The ironic thing is my both cars are dark! (Dark Blue and Black)

Thanks for that, yeah agree about the cars, think black is worst than white for keeping clean, a polished black car shows the slightest of marks IMO had both. Both ours are dark grey. Didn't think it would be that noticable on a patio though.
Cheers for the reply.
Edited by: "kramvic" 26th Jun 2016
Looks like the stuff a neighbour has, they've put up a slippery when wet notice. I've yet to see someone go over, but I would think this stuff could be slippy.
Got this in our kitchen. There is quite a lot of variation in the shading in the ones we have. Not sure about outside. Would need to see wide angle shot of area/garden rather than close up of some examples
liamf12

Looks like the stuff a neighbour has, they've put up a slippery when wet … Looks like the stuff a neighbour has, they've put up a slippery when wet notice. I've yet to see someone go over, but I would think this stuff could be slippy.

I thought it would be slippy but it does say none slip, must of put their sign up for a reason though.
Thanks.
peroxidase

Got this in our kitchen. There is quite a lot of variation in the shading … Got this in our kitchen. There is quite a lot of variation in the shading in the ones we have. Not sure about outside. Would need to see wide angle shot of area/garden rather than close up of some examples

OK pal, thanks anyway.
Just did my kitchen with calibrated and outside un calibrated which was thicker and recommended by the builders merchants as frost will damage the thinner calibrated slate.
We had 600x300.
The uncalibrated does look a bit shabby/rougher than our the interior which should be sealed and the colour has been slightly affected by the Sealant. But we still like the look and the above is true but we don't really notice any more : ) edit. It isn't anymore slippery than paving slabs really. Also bear in mind it will break/ chip if its cut to close to the edge.
Edited by: "jjaack" 26th Jun 2016
jjaack

Just did my kitchen with calibrated and outside un calibrated which was … Just did my kitchen with calibrated and outside un calibrated which was thicker and recommended by the builders merchants as frost will damage the thinner calibrated slate.We had 600x300.The uncalibrated does look a bit shabby/rougher than our the interior which should be sealed and the colour has been slightly affected by the Sealant. But we still like the look and the above is true but we don't really notice any more : ) edit. It isn't anymore slippery than paving slabs really. Also bear in mind it will break/ chip if its cut to close to the edge.

With it being uncalibrated did it come as 20-30mm for example? Also was it Brazilian or something else? Have read the Indian slate although a quite a bit cheaper don't have much of a quality control process but don't know how true this is.
kramvic

With it being uncalibrated did it come as 20-30mm for example? Also was … With it being uncalibrated did it come as 20-30mm for example? Also was it Brazilian or something else? Have read the Indian slate although a quite a bit cheaper don't have much of a quality control process but don't know how true this is.

We were told its Brazilian, 22mm to 30mm and to buy it from a single batch as this would limit its variation even though its a natural product and would have quite a bit of difference individually, he also asked us to come and select some random samples from the batch so we would see what we could receive. As for quality control? Good question, I guess unless they were falling apart we were sent them, we allowed for the usual 10% waste (?) with tiling and although some were iffy we cut them in half as we have a herringbone pattern there were also some with a rusty looking natural thinnish line through them this has now gone.
jjaack

We were told its Brazilian, 22mm to 30mm and to buy it from a single … We were told its Brazilian, 22mm to 30mm and to buy it from a single batch as this would limit its variation even though its a natural product and would have quite a bit of difference individually, he also asked us to come and select some random samples from the batch so we would see what we could receive. As for quality control? Good question, I guess unless they were falling apart we were sent them, we allowed for the usual 10% waste (?) with tiling and although some were iffy we cut them in half as we have a herringbone pattern there were also some with a rusty looking natural thinnish line through them this has now gone.

That's great jjaack, thanks for the advice and reply.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants