Thinking aboutt really smart Central Heating controls

Found 4th MayEdited by:"ccnp"
I would be grateful for feedback from anyone who has implemented modern smart TRVs + boiler control packages.

In general terms, I want to use the heating more effectively (as opposed to efficiently) to heat the house (12 rooms) according to how we use it. The house is occupied 24 hours a day in one way or another.

As an example; a warm lounge is no use in the morning but hot bathrooms is a must and so I want all the CH hot water in those rads. In the evening, I want all the CH hot water to go to the lounge but the bathrooms can stay cold. I want to really focus the heat where its needed, when its needed and get quick responses.

More specifically, I would like to control the temperature in 4 reception type rooms separately. All rooms have very different use profiles and its important that 2 rooms with erratic use can demand heat quickly without heating the rest of the house.

Using smart TRVs under a sophisticated control set up looks like it can do this.

I have a 10 year old WB system boiler and if it goes wrong, I will replace with a new WB system boiler. I am therefore tempted by the WB control package but a number of other systems are far less expensive.

Has anyone implemented Honeywell or other systems to control rooms in this way?

Thanks in advance for responses.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
you have 4 options to choose from

Honeywell Evohome
Drayton Wiser Multizone kit
Netatmo
Tado thermostat + extension kit + TRV's

they all use smart TRV's which can be controlled individually (zones) and on time schedules
out of all those options I went with Tado and could not be happier (self install is easy peasy as well), however some reports that TRVs dont play well with Danfoss fittings (check amazon for reviews) and require separate purchase of metal adapters

someone else may be able to help you with other brands but I feel like the best solution for you may be Honeywell
Thank you Mattsk

Did price feature in your research before buying?
Why WB? do you like plastic and rubber components that are made out of copper or brass in other boilers?

WB are good at one thing and that's marketing, their new boilers are not great and their 'wave' system still doesn't work properly due to software issues with lots of people complaining of pumps running 24/7.
Edited by: "paulj48" 4th May
I've installed Evohome, Heat Genius and Wiser. All much of a muchness, none of them are brilliant.

The only benefit to going with Worcester is they will use their proprietary OpenTherm style system as found on the newer boilers (the controller will adjust central heating temperature). I couldn't ever bring myself to recommend Worcester though.
themorgatron7 m ago

The only benefit to going with Worcester is they will use their …The only benefit to going with Worcester is they will use their proprietary OpenTherm style system as found on the newer boilers (the controller will adjust central heating temperature). I couldn't ever bring myself to recommend Worcester though.

So that’s not a benefit then, just recomend another ‘Open Therm’ compatible boiler instead, I’ve just had an Intergas ECO RF fitted, only 4 moving parts so less to go wrong, Open Therm compatible so the CH water circuit temperature is adjusted automatically, time will tell if I’ve made the correct decision.
paulj4818 m ago

So that’s not a benefit then, just recomend another ‘Open Therm’ compa …So that’s not a benefit then, just recomend another ‘Open Therm’ compatible boiler instead, I’ve just had an Intergas ECO RF fitted, only 4 moving parts so less to go wrong, Open Therm compatible so the CH water circuit temperature is adjusted automatically, time will tell if I’ve made the correct decision.

I fit Intergas so your preaching to the choir. I've heard reports of Honeywell controls not communicating well with the Intergas OpenTherm (despite them also manufacturing the awful Intergas InTouch controller).
Yip another Tado fan here, Like the Geofencing,it also detects windows that are open and switches the radiator of for that room, I have the radiator Thermostats in each rooms(8 zones in total) set at all different Temperatures through out the day, Good customer support as well which is worth its weight in Gold.Just my views though
themorgatron10 m ago

I fit Intergas so your preaching to the choir. I've heard reports of …I fit Intergas so your preaching to the choir. I've heard reports of Honeywell controls not communicating well with the Intergas OpenTherm (despite them also manufacturing the awful Intergas InTouch controller).

I've got a Nest V3 controlling mine but was a little dismayed at not being able to tinker with the inner workings etc. I was thinking of getting the InTouch kit instead just so I had more control over the flow temperature etc. What reports have you heard?
lifeis4living4 h, 37 m ago

Yip another Tado fan here, Like the Geofencing,it also detects windows …Yip another Tado fan here, Like the Geofencing,it also detects windows that are open and switches the radiator of for that room, I have the radiator Thermostats in each rooms(8 zones in total) set at all different Temperatures through out the day, Good customer support as well which is worth its weight in Gold.Just my views though

Thanks. Had never heard of Tado but looks interesting
ccnp11 h, 57 m ago

Thank you MattskDid price feature in your research before buying?

Price wasn't really a major factor provided the system did what I needed it to do.
As stated above geofencing is really great with tado. Me and my missis work different shifts so even though it's scheduled it knows when to switch it off etc
Also most smart trv are similar price it's the initial cost of control units (extension kit and thermostat)
Another thing was ease of installation. Did it myself which cut the cost a bit here . As far as I know nest charges something like 80 quid
I’ve an Evohome setup. Just about everything I can say is in here hotukdeals.com/dea…335
Good thing with Tado is that you can also rent the equipment and they offer a money back guarantee as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions