Thinking of applying for a British Passport? Price increase incoming February 2023

Posted 12th Jan 2023
Just a heads up on those thinking of renewing or applying for a British Passport, looks like a price increase is incoming at the start of February 2023, so you might want to apply ASAP. It's a good idea to apply now, if you can also, as you'll beat the 'Summer rush' and lots of delays due to demand.

From 2nd February, the price of passport fees will increase, the fee for a standard online application made from within the UK will rise from £75.50 to £82.50 for adults and £49 to £53.50 for children.

If you can afford to apply for more than one passport, e.g family of 4 or 5, it could save you around £30 (Based on 2 Adults and 3 Children) for online applications. For Postal applications, you're looking at an even a bigger cost.

See Changes to passport application fees / Source British passport applications fees will rise from February
Community Updates
New Comment

330 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    bob-mk2
    Don't forget to budget an extra £7.15 for Royal Mail Special Delivery to send in your old passport and the extra £5 for secure delivery of the new one.
    alfiejts
    As others have said... We've just renewed ours last month. No need to pay for a photo, just use your phone. It even tells you whether it's a good photo to use or not.
    No need to pay for special delivery to send on your old passport, just use first class signed for...
    No need to pay the extra to get your old passport sent back to you special delivery.
    They send your new passport bac k by courier anyway as part of the main price. The extra charge is only if you need your old cancelled passport returned to you by special delivery instead of normal post...
    Only took 8 days from my online renewal application to receiving new passport...
    Ukguy101
    Ridiculous how much they cost nowadays shouldn't be anymore than £50
    hopped
    The cost isn't just for the passport it is also used to fund each and every embassy the UK has in all of the countries we visit. Not that I disagree with you on the cost as it is high but after looking into what it is for I then had a better understanding of why it was so expensive.
    Gollywood
    Don't leave it to the last minute. Expect more strikes hence ridiculous turnover times eg 12-14 weeks, as experienced throughout the whole of 2022.
    gemgem84
    My sons came within 2 weeks, no major delays at the minute. Applied on 27th December and we had his new passport on 5th January
    HappyShopper
    With regards my cars MOT, I can renew it a month prior to the expiration of the current one and the month gets added onto my new MOT - is there a similar system for passport renewals?
    Headnogood
    No but the renewal is x amount of years from your old expiry date and needs to be done before 6 months is left on your old one if I remember.
    princess221065
    Hi, yippee I have received my new Black passport today. I applied online on 6th Jan. So it came super fast. Now to start planning an oversea holiday.
    Just though I would let you know that process time seems to be very quick at the moment.
    themachman
    Love this bit

"The government does not make any profit from the cost of passport applications."

No, but plenty of private companies who make them these days do!
    Mark_MorrisonN6h
    This is a lie, The last time a breakdown of the costs were published, I think the Passport Office makes a profit of £30 per passport made, on average.
    Factor in last year, when they were charging an extra £90 each for an upgrade, caused by delays...
    It's true the Passport Office doesn't make a profit - but only because the profits go to the Treasury.
    GiddyUpKramer
    Crazy expensive, that's as much as it costs me to renew my Norwegian one and we're usually much more expensive than other countries for everything.
    mtuk1
    Nope. An Aussie passport is £185 and a US passport is £105. Our prices are not that bad in global terms.
    yozzas
    Thank you mine need renewing . And I am in need of a holiday
    Dan_82 Author
    Welcome! Looking out the window, i think i'm in need of some warmer climates also!
    AnkerMan
    Also probably last chance to renew passport referencing Queen rather than Charles when they update that info. Hoping I can skip straight to Willy when time comes...
    Gollywood
    How about keeping a 'spare' passport
    harrythefish
    UK passports are printed in Tczew, Poland, and not in the United Kingdom. The British government has outsourced its passport printing to a Polish company since 2018. The company, Gemalto beat out British company De La Rue in 2018.
    mybritishpassport.com/whe…ed/
    Daves_mate
    UNBELIEVABLE!!
    Immoraliste
    Cheers. I'm just about to renew.

One thing I just became aware of: to get into the EU, your passport must have been ISSUED within the last 10 years.
    My current one had a validity of 10 yrs 9 months as I renewed early last time before a big trip. Even though it still has 9 months validity left, I would be rejected entry to the EU as it was now issued over 10 years ago.
    Player_One
    Yep that is what is catching a lot of people out lately.
    5hooey
    How long do they last?
    arcticchimp
    The use by date is 10 years or 5 for kids
    davedru
    Thanks Dan. We need 4 renewing (3A +1C) 🏻
    princess221065
    If you are renewing the family passports together at the same time. You of course need to do 4 seperate application and you will receive 4 seperate reference numbers. Put each old passport in a seperate envelope with the reference numbers and then put all 4 passport in one big envelope with one of the references on the front then that way the family application will all stay together. Don't worry about if it gives you different addresses to send them too. You can just send it to any of them. It's all explained on the website.

I know this as I have just renewed mines a week ago for myself and my child, and the passport office have confirmed receipt of same.

Hope this all makes sense. It to help keep the family applications together. Hope this helps:-)
    blahblahblah1234
    Looks like the new ETIAS EU travel visa has been pushed back to November 2023
    etias.info/tra…23/
    That's one thing we don't have to worry about this summer.
    mtuk1
    It’s not a visa. It’s a visa waiver. Just like Esta for the USA.
    ednaworthy
    I did my passport renewal last week, they received my old passport Tues, and I received my new one Friday excellent service, was fully expecting 10 weeks.
    loveabargain13
    I posted my passport back to them special delivery last Monday, arrived Tuesday waiting for them to update my tracking still 
    villager
    8 quid per year for 10 yrs is hardly extorniate.
    Backinamo
    You clearly miss the point. For example, a Spanish passport costs 30 euros.

That is 3 euros a year in your money.
    Glowingpumpkin
    [deleted]
    Headnogood
    Save you money and take them yourself.
    utdmorgan
    So roughly a 10% increase... Surely the government should realise the public sector workers who work for the passport service then obviously deserve a 10% pay rise... Etc etc
    blahblahblah1234
    They've been wfh for the last 2 years.
    Need more than a 10% pay rise to pay for their heating on all day.
    headanove
    Just when prices are rising at their fastest rate and salaries are failing to keep up, your lovely government decides to raise the price of a passport. And 9.2% rise when most people receive a few percentage points of below inflation settlement. And workers are going on strike.
    leeroy_tmofo
    First thing they did when getting in was to put VAT up 2.5% on EVERYTHING.

Costs for all of us have gone through the roof. Profits and dividends at the top are also literally at record levels.

Gross isn't it?
    mel99
    What happens if you haven't had a passport for over 10 years I guess I would need 2 references?
    Why_so_serious
    Only if your appearance has changed considerably.
    leeroy_tmofo
    [deleted]
    jakeyjakey
    If you want to visit North Korea make sure your passport is in date.
    DealMeIn
    Is anyone else using an app on their phone to take the photos themselves? If so which app are you using? Looks like there are alot out there! Thanks in advance
    ebury
    just use a white wall,selfy camera,well lit room and make sure no shadow behind head. No need to use apps and mine was accepted straight away
    amycharlie
    Mine expired dec 2022 can I still apply online as it’s expired?
    ednaworthy
    Mine expired November 2022 and renewed last week. (edited)
    bluetang
    For anyone who has recently renewed theirs and got their new one back - if you had time left on your old passports, ie a few months and applied before it ran out is the new passport dated from when the existing one would have expired, or when you applied for the new one - or from the date they issued the new one?
    zigg
    no extra time now, just 10 years from the date of issue
    fender62
    what a rip off, should be charged by how many times you travel, one might go away once in 10yrs...scam
    blahblahblah1234
    That's what air passenger duty is for. Only get charged if you travel etc...
    There's a significant cost overhead involved with producing passports with inbuilt security measures to prevent fraud.
    Zilina
    FYI - If you're travelling to the EU your UK passport must have at least 3 months remaining after your planned departure. (edited)
    Kate08
    How did you guys send your old one  to HM? Special , signed for or just a regular stamp?
    thelast_warrior
    I used recorded post. About £5+ cheaper
    thelast_warrior
    Did mine online pic at home...sent off old passport got new one back within 7 working days 👏
    MontBelzoni
    when do you send back old passport in the process?
    ashmac
    For me we pay taxes they should be free it’s pathetic
    bozo007
    Not everyone needs a passport. Why should they subsidise yours?
    sniperpenguin
    Hopefully I can keep hold of the red-jacket passport for as lon as possible.

I just wish they had a seperate one for us all remain voters so we could still use the EU security queues
    blahblahblah1234
    Then you wouldn't be allowed to buy the duty frees that the blue passport now allows.
    bigbadwolves
    Lovely french made blue....
    wide
    That is deep.
    kris1234
    All British new Passports coming from Poland ( produced and printed in Poland ) . If someone saying applied for new one on Monday and received new one on Friday basically lies. 
    keefly
    You are surely joking? You do understand that passport blanks are delivered en masse from Poland and then they're printed in the UK to order? They don't print them in Poland then post them from there!
    imran.patelzmu
    Anyone know when the new passports with "His majesty" will be out? I don't really want to apply for a passport now and be stuck with "her majesty" for the next 10 years to be honest.
    davidbrent
    You're not being asked to marry her, its just a word on the passport
    noobnoob
    Should be free
    madazan
    Turnaround times for passport renewals is pretty quick.... I applied for the other half and it was delivered in 7 working days.... amazing 👏
    princess221065
    yes i agree. The Passport Office emailed me to say my renewal has been approved and its now gone to print took just over a week and a half
    hados
    I renewed mine last week - sent in on the Monday in the post and new one arrived back on the Friday, good processing time at the moment it seems.
    sashablue
    All part of the plan,make travel available only for the rich and roll out of 15 minute city's
    jakeyjakey
    You think a 10% increase on passport cost makes travel only for the rich? Surely the cheapest international week away is going to be 5 times the cost of a passport? 
    bobdylan
    My 2 kids need new ones, good to know thanks
    Dan_82 Author
    Most welcome @bobdylan
    QuantumQuark
    And yet the government and banks think inflation is 4-5%...

That's a lot of money for a largely automated process and a passport book even at current prices.
    busterdan
    Shame they are a horrible black/Blue colour and have nowhere near as many travelling perks as they once did.

I have just renewed mine so pleased I got in earlier rather than paying more for an inferior passport. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants