Posted 12th Jan 2023
Just a heads up on those thinking of renewing or applying for a British Passport, looks like a price increase is incoming at the start of February 2023, so you might want to apply ASAP. It's a good idea to apply now, if you can also, as you'll beat the 'Summer rush' and lots of delays due to demand.

From 2nd February, the price of passport fees will increase, the fee for a standard online application made from within the UK will rise from £75.50 to £82.50 for adults and £49 to £53.50 for children.

If you can afford to apply for more than one passport, e.g family of 4 or 5, it could save you around £30 (Based on 2 Adults and 3 Children) for online applications. For Postal applications, you're looking at an even a bigger cost.

See Changes to passport application fees / Source British passport applications fees will rise from February
Community Updates
Cost of Living DealsMisc
New Comment

97 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Don't forget to budget an extra £7.15 for Royal Mail Special Delivery to send in your old passport and the extra £5 for secure delivery of the new one.
    It says supporting documents are sent back Second Class but £5 for Secure Delivery. Is this £5 for both the new passport and supporting documents to get returned together or are £5 each? TIA.
  2. Avatar
    With regards my cars MOT, I can renew it a month prior to the expiration of the current one and the month gets added onto my new MOT - is there a similar system for passport renewals?
    No but the renewal is x amount of years from your old expiry date and needs to be done before 6 months is left on your old one if I remember.
  3. Avatar
    Love this bit

"The government does not make any profit from the cost of passport applications."

No, but plenty of private companies who make them these days do!
  4. Avatar
    Cheers. I'm just about to renew.

One thing I just became aware of: to get into the EU, your passport must have been ISSUED within the last 10 years.
    My current one had a validity of 10 yrs 9 months as I renewed early last time before a big trip. Even though it still has 9 months validity left, I would be rejected entry to the EU as it was now issued over 10 years ago.
    Yep that is what is catching a lot of people out lately.
  5. Avatar
    Don't leave it to the last minute. Expect more strikes hence ridiculous turnover times eg 12-14 weeks, as experienced throughout the whole of 2022.
    Author
    Indeed!
  6. Avatar
    Ridiculous how much they cost nowadays shouldn't be anymore than £50
    Author
    Yeah, big wad of cash i know

Hopefully this heads up can help save a few ££££'s before the increase.
  7. Avatar
    What happens if you haven't had a passport for over 10 years I guess I would need 2 references?
    Only if your appearance has changed considerably.
  8. Avatar
    How long do they last?
    The use by date is 10 years or 5 for kids
  9. Avatar
    I did my passport renewal last week, they received my old passport Tues, and I received my new one Friday excellent service, was fully expecting 10 weeks.
  10. Avatar
    Crazy expensive, that's as much as it costs me to renew my Norwegian one and we're usually much more expensive than other countries for everything.
  11. Avatar
    For me we pay taxes they should be free it’s pathetic
    Not everyone needs a passport. Why should they subsidise yours?
  12. Avatar
    Also probably last chance to renew passport referencing Queen rather than Charles when they update that info. Hoping I can skip straight to Willy when time comes...
    How about keeping a 'spare' passport
  13. Avatar
    thank you
    Author
    Most welcome
  14. Avatar
    Turnaround times for passport renewals is pretty quick.... I applied for the other half and it was delivered in 7 working days.... amazing 👏
  15. Avatar
    I renewed mine last week - sent in on the Monday in the post and new one arrived back on the Friday, good processing time at the moment it seems.
  16. Avatar
    Lovely french made blue....
  17. Avatar
    My 2 kids need new ones, good to know thanks
    Author
    Most welcome @bobdylan
  18. Avatar
    Thanks. My children passports are due for renewals.
    Cheers Dan
    Author
    Glad i can be of some help!
  19. Avatar
    Thanks for this. Need to renew my daughter's
  20. Avatar
    Thanks for that @Dan_82 renewed mine last year, but my little one's is dew to expire soon. Thanks foe saving me money. Every little helps 🏾
  21. Avatar
    Author
    Welcome all!

Also thanks to all the other members, with the extra helpful replies so far (edited)
  22. Avatar
    Thank you
  23. Avatar
    Thanks for the share @Dan_82 - mine expires in April, so need to get it renewed asap
    Author
    Most welcome
  24. Avatar
    Cheers, just been down to renew,.
  25. Avatar
    Thank you mine need renewing . And I am in need of a holiday
    Author
    Welcome! Looking out the window, i think i'm in need of some warmer climates also!
  26. Avatar
    Thanks for this. This kids are out of date
    Sell the kids, and breed some new ones ...
  27. Avatar
    They're redesigning the Monopoly board, there's going to be a "pay £82.50 to get out of UK" square.

In Germany passports are priced according to the number of pages, starting at £72. (edited)
  28. Avatar
    8 quid per year for 10 yrs is hardly extorniate.
    You clearly miss the point. For example, a Spanish passport costs 30 euros.

That is 3 euros a year in your money.
  29. Avatar
    Hmm.. mine isn't expiring until Feb 24, worth renewing it now?
    Tends to need renewing within 6 months of date if planning to go outside europe, 3 months for europe.
  30. Avatar
    Is this confirmed? I thought it's still to be discussed in parliament?
  31. Avatar
    All part of the plan,make travel available only for the rich and roll out of 15 minute city's
  32. Avatar
    my passport expires September this year, can i renew now? Thanks
    You need to soon anyhow. The new rules are that you need 3 months validity left to travel to any EU country except Ireland so it's effective expiry date is June this year. (edited)
  33. Avatar
    Thanks Dan. We need 4 renewing (3A +1C) 🏻
  34. Avatar
    Started my renewal last night thanks to you! Thank you!
  35. Avatar
    Effectively anybody due a renewal in the next 12 months should apply now to make a saving - and there will be a big rush aswell which may cause a delay
  36. Avatar
    Told you all the criticism of the government would be deleted.

Welcome to North Korea.

(Surely this website is losing money because our economy has been so trashed?)
Top Merchants