Thinking of doing an Experian Credit report ...

.... but am wondering if this will affect my credit rating ?? (Ironically)

Can anyone please confirm ?

30 Comments

a single check should not affect you credit rating. If you do multiple check within a short period of time, it will reduce your credit rating, though.

kemot1984;2019949

a single check should not affect you credit rating. If you do multiple … a single check should not affect you credit rating. If you do multiple check within a short period of time, it will reduce your credit rating, though.

Checking your own???

I thought you could check it as many times as you like, does it go down as a search?

I have an acount with experian and can check it whenever i want if doesn't affect my rating it is only when another comapny does a search.

Original Poster

dmissy13;2019993

I have an acount with experian and can check it whenever i want if … I have an acount with experian and can check it whenever i want if doesn't affect my rating it is only when another comapny does a search.

are you sure ???

I can understand other companies doing a check on you but if you do one on yourself then it kind of shows you are uncertain and hence i can understand how it affects your credit rating.

So, how do I move forward ? I just want to do a credit check without it affecting my rating

If your going to do it and got Quidco account you get £6.50 for doing 1 mths free trial.

Original Poster

Mum2Connor&Cerys;2020031

If your going to do it and got Quidco account you get £6.50 for doing 1 … If your going to do it and got Quidco account you get £6.50 for doing 1 mths free trial.

Thanks for the heads up.

go to the site and have a look

Original Poster

dmissy13;2020055

go to the site and have a look

couldnt find anything hence why I came here!
Plus I dont think it would be something they advertise or have in big writing ... that would deter customers.

i'll sign in and have a look for you

Cyrus;2020025

found this ... … found this ... interestinghttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/130750/6-50-from-quidco-for-signing-up-to-/showpost.php?p=1407482&postcount=3

I am not sure where the person in the thread found the information to substantiate that statement.

No one else will see that you have checked your credit file.

You can always ring Experian to get proper information regarding this.

I recently applied for (yet another) credit card and my application was rejected. Attached to the bank letter was a leaflet with lots of useful info on how to improve one's credit rating. One of the points advised not to check own credit rating too often as this may reduce the overall score.

Original Poster

kemot1984;2020081

One of the points advised not to check own credit rating too often as … One of the points advised not to check own credit rating too often as this may reduce the overall score.

How long is "too often" though ? Whats the threshold ?

I don't think that getting a credit report affects your rating,but applying for credit and a check being done does,though if your rating is good ie you have an unblemished record then it should not matter.
If your record is blemished then applying for credit a few times in a short period of time will almost certainly affect your score.

kemot1984;2020081

I recently applied for (yet another) credit card and my application was … I recently applied for (yet another) credit card and my application was rejected. Attached to the bank letter was a leaflet with lots of useful info on how to improve one's credit rating. One of the points advised not to check own credit rating too often as this may reduce the overall score.

Once one turns you down it's likely that they'll keep turning you down for a while. They'll see that you've applied for credit several times and the situation only becomes worse the more you try.

kemot1984;2020081

I recently applied for (yet another) credit card and my application was … I recently applied for (yet another) credit card and my application was rejected. Attached to the bank letter was a leaflet with lots of useful info on how to improve one's credit rating. One of the points advised not to check own credit rating too often as this may reduce the overall score.

If you read it again I would be surprised if you come back and say that the letter said that.

i think it costs£2 currently to get a report. It should not affect your rating as it is just a print out not a credit check as such. It just gives details of late payments and companies you have credit with (I did it once) and really isnt a good indication of whether you will get credit or not as it wont score you. A credit check shouldnt affect it either unless you go to a morgage broker or similar who trys you with several companies and then eventually it will fail you.. I think this is correct anyway!!:oops:

Banned

muckypup;2020091

I don't think that getting a credit report affects your rating,but … I don't think that getting a credit report affects your rating,but applying for credit and a check being done does,though if your rating is good ie you have an unblemished record then it should not matter.If your record is blemished then applying for credit a few times in a short period of time will almost certainly affect your score.

I want to open a few accounts and credit cards to get quidco... so should i do this over time and not all in one go? I have a v.good credit rating i assume..(not in debt or anything)

imranmaz;2020195

I want to open a few accounts and credit cards to get quidco... so should … I want to open a few accounts and credit cards to get quidco... so should i do this over time and not all in one go? I have a v.good credit rating i assume..(not in debt or anything)

You should spread them out, as if you apply for credit with a few at once, they will assume that you are in financial trouble and are using credit cards to bail yourself out.

Banned

thesaint;2020206

You should spread them out, as if you apply for credit with a few at … You should spread them out, as if you apply for credit with a few at once, they will assume that you are in financial trouble and are using credit cards to bail yourself out.

good point... how long should i wait? and is it ok to cancel them once quidco clears?

Good point.

imranmaz;2020217

good point... how long should i wait? and is it ok to cancel them once … good point... how long should i wait? and is it ok to cancel them once quidco clears?

There's no "Magic" gap to leave.

It is okay to cancel them, they will remain on your file for 6 years, but will show as being closed.

you could make a perchase or 2 and pay it off straightaway then it will improve your credit score for paying on time then cancel

I applied for Egg last yr on my Quidco account,I then applied for Egg for my partner also on my Quidco account,cos the cashback increased,he got refused but they still paid cashback.

Getting a £2 credit report is a good thing to do every few months, as you can see if there has been any suspicious activity in your name.
Don't get suckered into buying the monthly service unless you are concerned someone has your details. The "score" they give is not representative, as firms use different scoring methods based on their lending profile.

Checking your credit report does not reduces your credit score,you can do it as many times as you like.Checks of other companies,you applied for credit does not affect your credit score as well.Only thing affects your credit rating-late payments or non payments to credit companies,CCJ`s.My close realitive works for one of credit reference agencies,so info is 100% trusted.I am doing at least 3 checks a year,just to make sure there is no ID theft and everything is allright.

Original Poster

Rimi: Thanks for that. Which company and package do you use to do the checks ?

Cyrus;2021138

Rimi: Thanks for that. Which company and package do you use to do the … Rimi: Thanks for that. Which company and package do you use to do the checks ?

Experian is the widest used, followed by Equifax.
It is best to get both, as they may have different information registered.

]http//ww…_uk

]http//ww…uk/

]http//ww…ome

The above are the three that people use in the UK. Specially Experian and Equifax. These are what they usually look at. I suggest going through all 3.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17366130
    2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661374
    3. Walnut snip: Nestlé cuts nut out of chocolate after prices surge - The Guar…1011
    4. Baby boxes to be sent to new parents in Scotland from Tuesday!1420

See more discussions