Groups

Thinking of getting an iphone! Help needed.

Right so im seriously considering getting an iphone however i wanna know some things.

Im curently on my first mobile phone contract, its with tmobile and i got a samsung tocco phone.

If i was to buy a iphone would i just be able to use my tmobile simcard stright in the iphone aslong as its unlocked?

Would it run up my bill? i get free minutes and free texts? do you have to pay anything to connect to your internet via wifi?

Are they as good as everyone makes out?

and whats the differance between 2g and 3g? it sometimes says gps or 3g on my phone menu does that mean i have 3g?

sorry for all the questions im just a little confused.

12 Comments

Banned

Are you buying it on PAYG? If so, yes you can get it unlocked and use the t-mobile sim - though you'd need to be careful of the data side of things if you dont already have an allowance on your contract. )Having said that - you need to check the newest firmware can be unlocked at the mo.)

Would be easier just to port your number and end the current contract and take a new O2 one.

Original Poster

guv;5004849

Are you buying it on PAYG? If so, yes you can get it unlocked and use the … Are you buying it on PAYG? If so, yes you can get it unlocked and use the t-mobile sim - though you'd need to be careful of the data side of things if you dont already have an allowance on your contract. )Having said that - you need to check the newest firmware can be unlocked at the mo.)Would be easier just to port your number and end the current contract and take a new O2 one.

Yer i would be buying on PAYG, As for data i have no idea if i have a data alowance? Can't find anything on my tmobile account just says about minutes and messages.

Whats this porting your number? Can you council tmobile contracts? i was told you can't once you've taken them out?

Banned

lastlaststar;5004905

Yer i would be buying on PAYG, As for data i have no idea if i have a … Yer i would be buying on PAYG, As for data i have no idea if i have a data alowance? Can't find anything on my tmobile account just says about minutes and messages.

Probably means you dont have it included then. Maybe you can add it as a bolt on - but if you cant - don't use it for data - it will cost an arm and a leg!

Whats this porting your number? Can you council tmobile contracts? i was … Whats this porting your number? Can you council tmobile contracts? i was told you can't once you've taken them out?

Porting? Just ask t-mobile for a PAC. You can then transfer your number over with you to O2. (Assuming you are not in mid contract!) By the sounds though, you wont be able to???

lastlaststar;5004905

Yer i would be buying on PAYG, As for data i have no idea if i have a … Yer i would be buying on PAYG, As for data i have no idea if i have a data alowance? Can't find anything on my tmobile account just says about minutes and messages.Whats this porting your number? Can you council tmobile contracts? i was told you can't once you've taken them out?

If you buy on PAYG from the shop now, it will be on 2.2.1 firmware and this can't be unlocked without a sim adapter. I tried this with t-mobile but the signal kept dropping, not good. Best thing to do is to try and pick up an unlocked one off ebay.

Also, if it's any help, the new iPhone is out in June/July so just wait for that! :thumbsup:

I don't think the new iphone has been confirmed has it? Not sure though.

It's more or less certain

engadget.com/200…wn/

loads of stuff on the net about it.

Original Poster

guv;5005024

Probably means you dont have it included then. Maybe you can add it as a … Probably means you dont have it included then. Maybe you can add it as a bolt on - but if you cant - don't use it for data - it will cost an arm and a leg!Porting? Just ask t-mobile for a PAC. You can then transfer your number over with you to O2. (Assuming you are not in mid contract!) By the sounds though, you wont be able to???

Yer unfortunitly im mid contract 9 months left, so no hope in hell of getting out of my t-mobile contract.

I can't find anything to do with data on ym contract webiste account, whats classed as data? say i wanted to use wifi and check my emails doe sthat count as data?

harj;5005074

If you buy on PAYG from the shop now, it will be on 2.2.1 firmware and … If you buy on PAYG from the shop now, it will be on 2.2.1 firmware and this can't be unlocked without a sim adapter. I tried this with t-mobile but the signal kept dropping, not good. Best thing to do is to try and pick up an unlocked one off ebay.Also, if it's any help, the new iPhone is out in June/July so just wait for that! :thumbsup:

cheers, i was thinking of picking one up off ebay insted of stright from the shop :thumbsup:

Banned

lastlaststar;5005251

Yer unfortunitly im mid contract 9 months left, so no hope in hell of … Yer unfortunitly im mid contract 9 months left, so no hope in hell of getting out of my t-mobile contract. I can't find anything to do with data on ym contract webiste account, whats classed as data? say i wanted to use wifi and check my emails doe sthat count as data?

If you're using your home Wifi, there will be no charge obviously. But if your using 3G, it wont be cheap.

harj;5005221

It's more or less certain … It's more or less certain http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/26/apple-announces-wwdc-2009-dates-iphone-snow-leopard-countdown/loads of stuff on the net about it.

Wow. Looks great. Even has an electric shaver on it!

Original Poster

guv;5005314

If you're using your home Wifi, there will be no charge obviously. But if … If you're using your home Wifi, there will be no charge obviously. But if your using 3G, it wont be cheap.

aww thats alright then, i never use the internet on my phone at the mo anyhow, so i shoudl be alright with just using wifi. :thumbsup:

Banned

lastlaststar;5005360

aww thats alright then, i never use the internet on my phone at the mo … aww thats alright then, i never use the internet on my phone at the mo anyhow, so i shoudl be alright with just using wifi. :thumbsup:

Dont be too sure you wont use it on the iPhone though!

Original Poster

guv;5005477

Dont be too sure you wont use it on the iPhone though!

Why do the apps use it?

might ring up tmobile and see if i can add data to my contract

Banned

lastlaststar;5005534

Why do the apps use it?

Yes!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259

See more discussions