Groups

Thinking of importing Gran Turismo 5 from Japan...

Does anyone have any experience of importing games? I have looked on a site called Renchi, which seems to be quite reputable. Can anyone recommend another, or one that has GT5 at a good price?

My main concern is import duty, bought a couple of bits from over seas before and been hit with import duty when it's arrived. Would like to avoid this if possible. I know it can be done if the seller marks the package as something like sample, or no commercial value. Would a site do this for me though...

Any help apreciated.

17 Comments

You might be able to avoid some customs if its marked gift
    Think its to do with what he puts as the value of the item

Banned

You also have to be aware that you would need an account for the region you get the game from in order to buy any DLC that may appear, and of course a Japanese PSN card. We did it for Everybody's Golf 5, navigating the Japanese store is rather trial and error unless you can read Japanese.
    sorry if you already know this!

You'll only be able to play with friends from that country. You would be able to play with your UK friends.

Original Poster

"You might be able to avoid some customs if its marked gift
    Think its to do with what he puts as the value of the item"

Would a large webiste do that for me though?

there is no point is there ?? its no out in japan untill 01/11/2010 and isnt that the same time for the UK as well ??

i thought it was going to be release world wide ont he same day??:thinking:

Original Poster

guru_the;7889021

You'll only be able to play with friends from that country. You would be … You'll only be able to play with friends from that country. You would be able to play with your UK friends.

Are you sure thats the case? On prolouge you seem to be able to play with people world wide...

Original Poster

ViperKeith;7889037

there is no point is there ?? its no out in japan untill 01/11/2010 and … there is no point is there ?? its no out in japan untill 01/11/2010 and isnt that the same time for the UK as well ??i thought it was going to be release world wide ont he same day??:thinking:

Japanese release date is in March

I've used play-asia.com a few times for region free games and didn't have to pay duty but that was a while back now. But the company itself is solid and very good for delivery times.

martyn_3000;7889053

Japanese release date is in March

not according to renchi they have it 01/11/2010 thats were i got it from

renchi.com/ren…htm

and

release date form play asia is still TBA

play-asia.com/paO…tml

Banned

guru_the;7889021

You'll only be able to play with friends from that country. You would be … You'll only be able to play with friends from that country. You would be able to play with your UK friends.

It depends on whether or not they use world servers or not, Everybody's golf 5 always connects to the JPN servers but it's a niche title, GT5 may not be the same.
    If it was me, unless there is 6 months between EU and Japanese release i wouldn't bother, i'm hoping that they've delayed the Japanese release for a worldwide simultaneous release.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

natversion1;7889072

I've used play-asia.com a few times for region free games and didn't have … I've used play-asia.com a few times for region free games and didn't have to pay duty but that was a while back now. But the company itself is solid and very good for delivery times.

Thanks, will take a look

ViperKeith;7889075

not according to renchi they have it 01/11/2010 thats were i got it … not according to renchi they have it 01/11/2010 thats were i got it fromhttp://www.renchi.com/renchi/PS3_Games_US_Gran_Turismo_5.htm

That's the American version. Japanese version here 09/03/10 renchi.com/ren…htm

Play Asia only seem to have the American version. Japnese release date is still set on 9th of March. Seems unlikely it will be delayed this close to release.

An 8 months gap seems madness! But thats why I'm tempted to import, Novembers a long way off.

Banned

here's the Japanese delay story.

]http//ww…an/

martyn_3000;7889098

Thanks, will take a lookThat's the American version. Japanese version … Thanks, will take a lookThat's the American version. Japanese version here 09/03/10 http://www.renchi.com/renchi/PS3_Games_JP_Gran_Turismo_5_Limited_Edition_JP.htmPlay Asia only seem to have the American version. Japnese release date is still set on 9th of March. Seems unlikely it will be delayed this close to release.

dont get your hopes up mate sony delayed japans realease date as they want it realease world wide on the same day

arstechnica.com/gam…ars

Original Poster

sennasnit;7889096

It depends on whether or not they use world servers or not, Everybody's … It depends on whether or not they use world servers or not, Everybody's golf 5 always connects to the JPN servers but it's a niche title, GT5 may not be the same.If it was me, unless there is 6 months between EU and Japanese release i wouldn't bother, i'm hoping that they've delayed the Japanese release for a worldwide simultaneous release.:thumbsup:

sennasnit;7889142

here's the Japanese delay … here's the Japanese delay story.]http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/13/gran-turismo-5-delayed-in-japan/

ViperKeith;7889171

dont get your hopes up mate sony delayed japans realease date as they … dont get your hopes up mate sony delayed japans realease date as they want it realease world wide on the same day http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/sony-continues-to-tease-gamers-with-gran-turismo-5-delays.ars

Darn! :x Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer until they confirm a release date. Was really hoping to get it in March and be the envy of all my mates until the UK release in November.

Thanks for all the help guys, rep on way.

I was just about to say.....

Sony confirmed that it will be a worldwide release so theres no point...

martyn_3000;7889249

Darn! :x Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer until they confirm a … Darn! :x Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer until they confirm a release date. Was really hoping to get it in March and be the envy of all my mates until the UK release in November.Thanks for all the help guys, rep on way.

i still cant belive they have delayed it again it better be good with such a long delay

Original Poster

ViperKeith;7889310

i still cant belive they have delayed it again it better be good with … i still cant belive they have delayed it again it better be good with such a long delay

At the rate it's going it will end up been a PS4 title!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1536
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2589
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1220
      4. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1219

See more discussions