Groups

Thinking of installing ubuntu, are drivers available or are they a pain to find?

Just downloading now i thought i would have a play on a spare machine whilst i`ve got a bit of time this weekend.

Going to put it on a dell optiplex, not sure what drivers will be missing until i install but is it a big job finding drivers if they are missing?

I take it windows drivers will not do? can anybody point me towards some download sites?

8 Comments

obviously, as with any operating system with pre-packaged drivers, it all depends on your hardware.

I had the latest version of Ubuntu running perfect on my Vostro 1510.

Original Poster

matt3454;4889584

obviously, as with any operating system with pre-packaged drivers, it all … obviously, as with any operating system with pre-packaged drivers, it all depends on your hardware.I had the latest version of Ubuntu running perfect on my Vostro 1510.

cheers mate, just finished downloading so will install and see whats missing.

are you still using it or did you go back to windows?

futuresbright;4889635

cheers mate, just finished downloading so will install and see whats … cheers mate, just finished downloading so will install and see whats missing.are you still using it or did you go back to windows?

Went back/forward to the Windows 7 beta.

I quite liked it but need programs like Visual Studio and Photoshop for Uni work.

To test it all out just run it as a live cd. Won't make any changes to your current operating system but you can check that everything works. One of the major things that were hit and miss with Linux OS's is the wireless internet.

matt3454;4889761

Went back/forward to the Windows 7 beta.I quite liked it but need … Went back/forward to the Windows 7 beta.I quite liked it but need programs like Visual Studio and Photoshop for Uni work.To test it all out just run it as a live cd. Won't make any changes to your current operating system but you can check that everything works. One of the major things that were hit and miss with Linux OS's is the wireless internet.

when using the ubuntu live cd the wireless didn't work on my v5505 laptop
    after installing ubuntu to the hard drive the wireless works perfect. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

All installed, posting from it now

just finding my way round it, never used anything but windows before.

using wired internet connection for now, will try wireless if i decide to keep it on.

one thing i have noticed is that using speedtest.net my internet connection is nearly 1meg quicker!!

not sure how this can be? anyone else?

ubuntu is a great operating system, you got the cube desktop beryl installed on it yet?

youtube.com/wat…wQI

Surely if you think your computer is a Dell Optiplex you shouldn't be installing a linux distro on it and would just confuse yourself? Real specs help, not brand names.

I've used ubuntu and ]Linux Mint on several machines and never had an issue with any drivers. Everything just works, wireless included:thumbsup:

Beats messing with non genuine windows.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung or Hisense11
      2. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?22
      3. Photobook for up to 400 photos?35
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?48

See more discussions