Groups

Thinking of trying ebay - a total novice!

Absolutely no idea of ebay, never bought/sold,,,, have had a wee look over the years and have been totally confused and did not understand the process. But,, it is now 2017 and I must spend time to understand the process and "I do have loads to sell".... honestly, any advice would be really appreciated!

40 Comments

10% Ebay fees + 3.4% Paypal fees + fair chance of buyer getting a refund and sending stuff back used/incomplete/just a brick in a box = waste of time and effort

Gumtree all the way. Just remember that Gumtree is for cash/in person transactions only, not sending stuff by mail/Paypal.

As for buying stuff off Ebay, it is awesome. I use it all the time, also I have no idea why the sellers bother.
    Edited by: "SUMMONER" 28th Jan

A golden rule is to not get carried away in an auction.
    Look at an item and decide at what price does it it stop being a bargain then make your maximum bid at less than that price & stick to it.
    Do not forget to add to your bid price the postage cost (if any).

Original Poster

SUMMONER

10% Ebay fees + 3.4% Paypal fees + fair chance of buyer getting a refund … 10% Ebay fees + 3.4% Paypal fees + fair chance of buyer getting a refund and sending stuff back used/incomplete/just a brick in a box = waste of time and effortGumtree all the way. Just remember that Gumtree is for cash/in person transactions only, not sending stuff by mail/Paypal.As for buying stuff off Ebay, it is awesome. I use it all the time, also I have no idea why the sellers bother.

Have taken on board all you have said, absolutely agree, have used gumtree/Belfast loads of times and sold a few things but thought perhaps I might dip my toe into the ebay water to sell more random things like shoes/clothes...
    Thank you so much for your reply!!

Original Poster

landros1

A golden rule is to not get carried away in an auction.Look at an item … A golden rule is to not get carried away in an auction.Look at an item and decide at what price does it it stop being a bargain then make your maximum bid at less than that price & stick to it.Do not forget to add to your bid price the postage cost (if any).

Many thanks for your kind reply!

I like Ebay, but remember to check that the item includes delivery, unless you can collect locally, but if selling always send it as recorded delivery to give yourself a chance against the scammers!
    As a buyer, look at an item and decide what it's worth to you,
    Bid that amount, but do so with about 10 seconds to go,
    If the price is low, many bid and then get outbid but don't have time to raise their offer,
    The worst that can happen is that you lose the auction coz the price is too high or you get an item for a price that you were willing to pay!

Avoid like the plague! Full of crooks and scammers!

For buying stuff get the Ebay app for your phone, that way it will alert you a couple of minutes before an auction that you have added to your watch list is ending.
    Never bid on an auction until 10-15 seconds before it ends, otherwise you will just encourage others to up their bids.
    Bid however much your max for an item is and let the Ebay auto bidding feature do the rest. It will bid in small increments, only upping your bid if someone else outbids you (up to the max that you set with your original bid).
    Edited by: "SUMMONER" 28th Jan

Wow. Someone who has never bought anything from ebay?
    I have bought loads of stuff from ebay. Never sold anything on ebay as the fees put me off.

Original Poster

griff4

I like Ebay, but remember to check that the item includes delivery, … I like Ebay, but remember to check that the item includes delivery, unless you can collect locally, but if selling always send it as recorded delivery to give yourself a chance against the scammers!As a buyer, look at an item and decide what it's worth to you,Bid that amount, but do so with about 10 seconds to go, If the price is low, many bid and then get outbid but don't have time to raise their offer,The worst that can happen is that you lose the auction coz the price is too high or you get an item for a price that you were willing to pay!

Thank-You!

Original Poster

mutley1

Wow. Someone who has never bought anything from ebay?I have bought loads … Wow. Someone who has never bought anything from ebay?I have bought loads of stuff from ebay. Never sold anything on ebay as the fees put me off.

Yep that's me!

Banned

SELLING

Send recorded at all times when you start...

Plenty of people out there that will deny receiving from a new seller.

Paypal only or cash on collection.

Ensure their paypal account is verified.

Do not post to any address other than the one listed as approved by paypal. Ignore your emails from paypal. Always look on the ebay dashboard to see if you can post

God there is loads of advice.

Keep & post pics of serial numbers..

The list is endless.
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 29th Jan

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

SELLING Send recorded at all times when you start... Plenty of people out … SELLING Send recorded at all times when you start... Plenty of people out there that will deny receiving from a new seller. Paypal only or cash on collection. Ensure their paypal account is verified. Do not post to any address other than the one listed as approved by paypal. Ignore your emails from paypal. Always look on the ebay dashboard to see if you can post God there is loads of advice.Keep & post pics of serial numbers..The list is endless.

Thank-you very much for your reply!
    You have just listed all the reasons why I have not ever used ebay.. now I'm not sure what to do?

mousey

Thank-you very much for your reply!You have just listed all the reasons … Thank-you very much for your reply!You have just listed all the reasons why I have not ever used ebay.. now I'm not sure what to do?

Don't ever sell expensive phones on ebay, asking for trouble. Make sure you describe the items you are selling honestly including any faults/marks and take good photos. Good presentation will make your items look more attractive = higher selling price. Use BIN (buy it now) if you don't want to risk your items going cheap - compare the selling price with other listings or websites. Explore different postage methods such as CollectPlus, Parcel2go as well as Royal Mail. They are often cheaper and more convenient than the Post Office for parcels. It's way more effective than selling on Gumtree due to the increased market. I've had items that didn't get a sniff on GT for £20 but went for twice the price on the bay netting me more even after fees/postage. I've sold a lot on ebay over the years and only ever had one problem. Once you've done it a few times it becomes easier and actually quite enjoyable when you see your PayPal account mount up.

It's called flea bay for a reason!

Using eBay is a breeze. Once you've set up an account all you need to do is photograph what you're selling and write a description of it. Much of the process is automated, i.e. once an item is sold the buyer knows they've been successful and will send you their payment. On the listing of an item you've sold are symbols that you can click on to say you've posted it etc, again ebay sends the info to the buyer. The listing page is a step by step process that you just fill in, e.g. title, description, cost, postage. Before you list anything, check other similar items on eBay to see what they've sold for or are listed as. Don't be too greedy or too pessimistic in your starting price and remember that both ebay and Paypal will take a percentage of the selling sum as fees, so look out for reduced listing final value fees. Once you have an account, you will be emailed about any offers like this.

Just buy from high feedback people, don't sell anything as from experience you will get stung

Don't get put off ebay. I've sold many many items on there.
    Start off by selling low value items to get the hang of it.
    Work your way up....

YouDontWantToKnow

SELLING Send recorded at all times when you start... Plenty of people out … SELLING Send recorded at all times when you start... Plenty of people out there that will deny receiving from a new seller. Paypal only or cash on collection. Ensure their paypal account is verified. Do not post to any address other than the one listed as approved by paypal. Ignore your emails from paypal. Always look on the ebay dashboard to see if you can post God there is loads of advice.Keep & post pics of serial numbers..The list is endless.

​At last a response I agree with.

Sell honestly, send recorded, keep proof of everything.

Buy from high feedback in UK only. And any phones/tablets what would be still under warranty in original boxes.

I've nearly 1000 feedback, and only ever 1 selling dispute in that time- and eBay decided in my favour.

Don't believe all the negative about ebay- normally from people who haven't been honest, or been carefull.

I sell less on eBay now than a couple of years ago, but along with advice given above my general rules are ;

When selling used items, don't sell anything you wouldn't be happy to buy yourself, i.e. scratched/cracked/torn etc and alllways include actual photographs of item(s).
    When selling new items, power tools etc, I usually use the manufactures stock photographs, much clearer and buyers instantly see on searches that it is a new item.

If I expect the item to sell for £50 or over I always send recored, but on occasion I have taken a chance and sent large items via 1st class as they were large bulky items and would have more than likely been hand delivered.

Ensure item(s) are packaged well to ensure no damage could occur, take this into consideration when stating your postage price, remember this price also includes packaging.

Clearly label the delivery address and include your return address clearly marked 'in the event of non delivery please return to ; ....'

If the item is larger than a letterbox and is not being sent recorded, label it ' please hand deliver, do not leave unattanded', this goes a little way in ensuring the postie doesn't leave in a wheelie bin etc, no guarantee though..

Research similar items to your own, watch both auctions and buy now listings, do they sell quickly when 'buy now' do they generate a bidding frenzy on auction end?
    This helps decide whether you list the item auction or buy now listing.

If 'buy now' once you've decided your price incl p&p, list on a 30 day listing and be patient, be prepared for silly offers, and don't bite if its less than you want, if you've researched the item, yours will be the cheapest available...

If auction - start the listing on a Thursday late afternoon/early evening on a 7 day listing, this will be seen by browsers over 2 weekends, sat/sun eBay see more traffic, and it will end on the sunday afternoon - perfect for those weekend browsers.

As said above, don't be shocked by eBay / Paypal fees, and bear in mind the eBay fee is also taken off the p&p price and not just the final sale price.

Best selling start would be an item you know will sell, but not high value, PS4/xbox game etc....?

BUT, that all said, I sell more on Gumtree now, cash in hand beats the fees all day long.

Buying ; research the item your looking at, always amazes me seeing items selling at an auction for more than a 'buy now' listing, narrow your search down, 'buy now' - 'lowest price incl p&p' whilst also watching auctions ending.
    When watching an auction end, be patient, decide the highest your prepared to pay and still see it as a bargain, and place this max bid with 10-20 seconds before auction end.

i.e. item sitting at £10, the RRP is £50 and your prepared to pay £30, put this max bid of £30 in with seconds to go, other bidders will be going in at £1 or so increases and will run out of time, you will not automatically pay £30, you will match the next highest bid up to £30, unless of course they have the same idea as you...

Edited by: "andynicol" 29th Jan

Original Poster

andynicol

I sell less on eBay now than a couple of years ago, but along with advice … I sell less on eBay now than a couple of years ago, but along with advice given above my general rules are ;When selling used items, don't sell anything you wouldn't be happy to buy yourself, i.e. scratched/cracked/torn etc and alllways include actual photographs of item(s).When selling new items, power tools etc, I usually use the manufactures stock photographs, much clearer and buyers instantly see on searches that it is a new item.If I expect the item to sell for £50 or over I always send recored, but on occasion I have taken a chance and sent large items via 1st class as they were large bulky items and would have more than likely been hand delivered.Ensure item(s) are packaged well to ensure no damage could occur, take this into consideration when stating your postage price, remember this price also includes packaging.Clearly label the delivery address and include your return address clearly marked 'in the event of non delivery please return to ; ....' If the item is larger than a letterbox and is not being sent recorded, label it ' please hand deliver, do not leave unattanded', this goes a little way in ensuring the postie doesn't leave in a wheelie bin etc, no guarantee though..Research similar items to your own, watch both auctions and buy now listings, do they sell quickly when 'buy now' do they generate a bidding frenzy on auction end?This helps decide whether you list the item auction or buy now listing.If 'buy now' once you've decided your price incl p&p, list on a 30 day listing and be patient, be prepared for silly offers, and don't bite if its less than you want, if you've researched the item, yours will be the cheapest available...If auction - start the listing on a Thursday late afternoon/early evening on a 7 day listing, this will be seen by browsers over 2 weekends, sat/sun eBay see more traffic, and it will end on the sunday afternoon - perfect for those weekend browsers.As said above, don't be shocked by eBay / Paypal fees, and bear in mind the eBay fee is also taken off the p&p price and not just the final sale price.Best selling start would be an item you know will sell, but not high value, PS4/xbox game etc....?BUT, that all said, I sell more on Gumtree now, cash in hand beats the fees all day long.Buying ; research the item your looking at, always amazes me seeing items selling at an auction for more than a 'buy now' listing, narrow your search down, 'buy now' - 'lowest price incl p&p' whilst also watching auctions ending.When watching an auction end, be patient, decide the highest your prepared to pay and still see it as a bargain, and place this max bid with 10-20 seconds before auction end.i.e. item sitting at £10, the RRP is £50 and your prepared to pay £30, put this max bid of £30 in with seconds to go, other bidders will be going in at £1 or so increases and will run out of time, you will not automatically pay £30, you will match the next highest bid up to £30, unless of course they have the same idea as you...8)

Wow, Many thanks for your reply, appreciated!

Original Poster

Rich069

​At last a response I agree with. Sell honestly, send recorded, keep p … ​At last a response I agree with. Sell honestly, send recorded, keep proof of everything. Buy from high feedback in UK only. And any phones/tablets what would be still under warranty in original boxes. I've nearly 1000 feedback, and only ever 1 selling dispute in that time- and eBay decided in my favour. Don't believe all the negative about ebay- normally from people who haven't been honest, or been carefull.

Thank you!

Original Poster

mayzi

Don't get put off ebay. I've sold many many items on there. Start off by … Don't get put off ebay. I've sold many many items on there. Start off by selling low value items to get the hang of it. Work your way up....

Many thanks!

Original Poster

Divechick

Using eBay is a breeze. Once you've set up an account all you need to do … Using eBay is a breeze. Once you've set up an account all you need to do is photograph what you're selling and write a description of it. Much of the process is automated, i.e. once an item is sold the buyer knows they've been successful and will send you their payment. On the listing of an item you've sold are symbols that you can click on to say you've posted it etc, again ebay sends the info to the buyer. The listing page is a step by step process that you just fill in, e.g. title, description, cost, postage. Before you list anything, check other similar items on eBay to see what they've sold for or are listed as. Don't be too greedy or too pessimistic in your starting price and remember that both ebay and Paypal will take a percentage of the selling sum as fees, so look out for reduced listing final value fees. Once you have an account, you will be emailed about any offers like this.

Thank you!!

Original Poster

griff4

I like Ebay, but remember to check that the item includes delivery, … I like Ebay, but remember to check that the item includes delivery, unless you can collect locally, but if selling always send it as recorded delivery to give yourself a chance against the scammers!As a buyer, look at an item and decide what it's worth to you,Bid that amount, but do so with about 10 seconds to go, If the price is low, many bid and then get outbid but don't have time to raise their offer,The worst that can happen is that you lose the auction coz the price is too high or you get an item for a price that you were willing to pay!

Thanks

Original Poster

tallpete33

Don't ever sell expensive phones on ebay, asking for trouble. Make sure … Don't ever sell expensive phones on ebay, asking for trouble. Make sure you describe the items you are selling honestly including any faults/marks and take good photos. Good presentation will make your items look more attractive = higher selling price. Use BIN (buy it now) if you don't want to risk your items going cheap - compare the selling price with other listings or websites. Explore different postage methods such as CollectPlus, Parcel2go as well as Royal Mail. They are often cheaper and more convenient than the Post Office for parcels. It's way more effective than selling on Gumtree due to the increased market. I've had items that didn't get a sniff on GT for £20 but went for twice the price on the bay netting me more even after fees/postage. I've sold a lot on ebay over the years and only ever had one problem. Once you've done it a few times it becomes easier and actually quite enjoyable when you see your PayPal account mount up.

Thank you, very helpful!

mousey

Yep that's me!

You are the only person that I have come across who has not used ebay! It is great for most stuff. I tend to use buy it now retailers and occasionally do bidding.

There are great value things on ebay and often things that you can't find in shops. Some items have turned out rubbish but I don't mind as I only paid £6 for it. It can sometimes be hit and miss as to the quality of some items, but generally fine.

I am going to start looking at chinese and hong kong sellers for cheaper items as I have only stuck with uk based sellers to date. However, others have said that they have not had problems with chinese sellers as long as you are happy to wait for two weeks for delivery.

Original Poster

mutley1

You are the only person that I have come across who has not used ebay! … You are the only person that I have come across who has not used ebay! It is great for most stuff. I tend to use buy it now retailers and occasionally do bidding.There are great value things on ebay and often things that you can't find in shops. Some items have turned out rubbish but I don't mind as I only paid £6 for it. It can sometimes be hit and miss as to the quality of some items, but generally fine.I am going to start looking at chinese and hong kong sellers for cheaper items as I have only stuck with uk based sellers to date. However, others have said that they have not had problems with chinese sellers as long as you are happy to wait for two weeks for delivery.

Many thanks for your reply, appreciate all info - keen to declutter the house so would be great to sell with ebay!

mousey

Have taken on board all you have said, absolutely agree, have used … Have taken on board all you have said, absolutely agree, have used gumtree/Belfast loads of times and sold a few things but thought perhaps I might dip my toe into the ebay water to sell more random things like shoes/clothes...Thank you so much for your reply!!

Ebay will also charge you their seller fees on the your p&p as will Paypal.

YouDontWantToKnow

Proof of posting is free.

landros1

Proof of posting is free.

If a buyer claims to have not rec'd there purchase and the the seller only has proof of postage, Paypal/eBay will take the side of the buyer, proof of postage isn't the same as proof of delivery.

andynicol

If a buyer claims to have not rec'd there purchase and the the seller … If a buyer claims to have not rec'd there purchase and the the seller only has proof of postage, Paypal/eBay will take the side of the buyer, proof of postage isn't the same as proof of delivery.

A conman buyer is less likely to claim non delivery if you say that proof of posting would be obtained.

landros1

A conman buyer is less likely to claim non delivery if you say that proof … A conman buyer is less likely to claim non delivery if you say that proof of posting would be obtained.

And even less likely if sent recorded...

andynicol

And even less likely if sent recorded...

It all comes down to being cost effective.
    What is the cheapest recorded delivery it the sale is £10?

landros1

It all comes down to being cost effective.What is the cheapest recorded … It all comes down to being cost effective.What is the cheapest recorded delivery it the sale is £10?

Selling something on eBay for £10 simply isn't worth it, I wouldn't dream on listing anything that shouldn't sell for £20+.

But in reply to your question, as I've stated previously, I only use recorded over £50 or thereabouts, below that, as you say, isn't cost effective, a seller has to keep in mind these dodgy buyers, a pair of trainers say packaged in a shoe box that sold for £30 is less likely to be 'lost in transit' than say an xbox game, which fits easily through a letterbox.

But your comment re conman buyers - they know full well proof of postage means nothing whatsoever to eBay/paypal in the event of 'non-delivery'.

Worth using Hermes for delivery, £2.75 ish for up to 2KG and trackable - never had any issues with selling and using them.

andynicol

Selling something on eBay for 11.74€ (£10) simply isn't worth it, I wo … Selling something on eBay for 11.74€ (£10) simply isn't worth it, I wouldn't dream on listing anything that shouldn't sell for 23.48€ (£20)+.But in reply to your question, as I've stated previously, I only use recorded over 58.71€ (£50) or thereabouts, below that, as you say, isn't cost effective, a seller has to keep in mind these dodgy buyers, a pair of trainers say packaged in a shoe box that sold for 35.22€ (£30) is less likely to be 'lost in transit' than say an xbox game, which fits easily through a letterbox.But your comment re conman buyers - they know full well proof of postage means nothing whatsoever to eBay/paypal in the event of 'non-delivery'.

Point taken.
    I used to sell branded printer cartridges starting @99p +£2.99 postage (I paid over the counter £2.50 which was 2nd class post so I made nothing on the post).
    When Ebay started charging their fees on the postage they were taking 40p fees +PP fees on a 99p sale so I stopped selling at that point.

Years ago fees were a flat of 8% then 10% then fees on postage.....................Greedy.

landros1

Point taken.I used to sell branded printer cartridges starting @99p … Point taken.I used to sell branded printer cartridges starting @99p +£2.99 postage (I paid over the counter £2.50 which was 2nd class post so I made nothing on the post).When Ebay started charging their fees on the postage they were taking 40p fees +PP fees on a 99p sale so I stopped selling at that point.Years ago fees were a flat of 8% then 10% then fees on postage.....................Greedy.

Sellers got wise to the fact they never charged a fee on the p&p charge, hence buy now listings for 99p with £30 (or whatever price they actually wanted for said item) p&p etc, simply to pay less in fees.

andynicol

Sellers got wise to the fact they never charged a fee on the p&p charge, … Sellers got wise to the fact they never charged a fee on the p&p charge, hence buy now listings for 99p with 35.22€ (£30) (or whatever price they actually wanted for said item) p&p etc, simply to pay less in fees.

On the other side it has prevented buyers from buying several items from me for the same price postage as I combined postage.
    I still have 100% feedback as I never conned anyone & I am proud of that.

landros1

On the other side it has prevented buyers from buying several items from … On the other side it has prevented buyers from buying several items from me for the same price postage as I combined postage.I still have 100% feedback as I never conned anyone & I am proud of that.

If a buyer wants to purchase more than one item from you, you simply amend the p&p prior to sending them the payment details...

Edited by: "andynicol" 30th Jan

andynicol

If a buyer wants to purchase more than one item from you, you simply … If a buyer wants to purchase more than one item from you, you simply amend the p&p prior to sending them the payment details...

I said in my adds that I would happily combine postage.
    I used to list several of the same type to end at the same time to encourage buying many items at the same time thus only paying one postage cost.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99

See more discussions