Groups

This country is a joke...

In Russia it snows like this 6months of the year and everything there is still open.

pfft

/mad.

41 Comments

gym shut BG??

Russia know they'll get it often and can continually deal with it; we get it rarely in comparison so it will always be a shambles.

i did say this the other day..... followed by my coment on hosepipe bans.

but even in normal weather conditions the contry is still a joke.

It's of course that due to budget cuts we have little infrastructure and the ability to cope with limited resources is finite

Let's all emigrate to Russia then

My Marks and spencer TV was supposed to come today but they have just telephoned and said because of the weather they will not be here until NEXT WEDNESDAY, I ordered this 3 weeks ago, didnt hear anything until Monday - they rang to say coming this morning - now its next Wednesday, thats nearly a week away!

Predikuesi;4290220

Let's all emigrate to Russia then

wales copes well with its regular snowing bursts!! the gritters come out the schools close (or they open then have to spend 30mins doing a risk assesment on the snow )

In Russia people get kidnapped, companies get stolen off the companies registrar and nobody makes a noise and even if anyone makes a noise it is not heard by anyone.
    In UK it snowed like this only once in 18 years. In India it rains every year yet the entire system gets closed every year. There is no solution. In countries like Bahrain & Romania don't even ask how the government is run. I have lived and worked for a long time in all 5 countries above. More than 2 years each and UK is far better than most.
    I am not British so its easy for me to appreciate the good things. The general population is more polite than what the press makes us believe and living conditions much much better.

I wonder what the cost of being ready for a bad snowfall, compared to the cost of a stand still due to snow is?

Ie, snow ploughs ready, car wheel chain things for snow travel, grit stores everywhere etc etc

All this would be standing around unused for long periods of time... No doubt road side grit stores will be vandalised or raided whilst they await use.

I know we're pathetic at times, but I'd still rather live here than in Russia

Every country will struggle to deal with "extreme" conditions.
    (Australia has struggled with extreme heat, US didnt cope with Katrina)

If Russia didnt deal with snow everyday, they wouldnt have an economy!

Where as I havent seen this much snow, down around London and south East in my life time. (Midlands and further north should expect it more, but below M4 this is very rare)

We could spend millions on making sure roads are gritted 24 hours a day and store large snow plows for one day use every 10 years.
    Or we could spend it on something we know we need, like hospitals and schools

Tho i agree we should pull our fingers out and make every effort to get to school!
    (6 turned up on Monday!

Original Poster

andrewrobinson1970;4290329

Every country will struggle to deal with "extreme" conditions.(Australia … Every country will struggle to deal with "extreme" conditions.(Australia has struggled with extreme heat, US didnt cope with Katrina)If Russia didnt deal with snow everyday, they wouldnt have an economy!Where as I havent seen this much snow, down around London and south East in my life time. (Midlands and further north should expect it more, but below M4 this is very rare)We could spend millions on making sure roads are gritted 24 hours a day and store large snow plows for one day use every 10 years.Or we could spend it on something we know we need, like hospitals and schoolsTho i agree we should pull our fingers out and make every effort to get to school!(6 turned up on Monday!

this is hardly extreme.

octobergirl;4290241

My Marks and spencer TV was supposed to come today but they have just … My Marks and spencer TV was supposed to come today but they have just telephoned and said because of the weather they will not be here until NEXT WEDNESDAY, I ordered this 3 weeks ago, didnt hear anything until Monday - they rang to say coming this morning - now its next Wednesday, thats nearly a week away!

this isn't by any chance the sony 40 inch is it?

S
    e
    e

This was just my argument the other day when people were moaning about everything coming to a stand still..

You just cannot compare our country to the likes of Russia or Switzerland, it doesn't work. It would be like asking why Brits can't cope with 40c heat when they cope just fine in Africa.

if the government ploughed billions into being prepared for snow people would soon complain.

I haven't seen this much snow in years, it usually misses Leicester

russia 6 months of the year
    england once every blue moon

well excuse us!!,
    actually my theory is the country grinds to a halt cos the truth is we want it too.
    we would rather have the roads close every 10 yrs or so and give us an excuse for a day or two off than consistently pay the extra taxes for guys and equipment to sit around waiting for heavy snow that appears once a decade.
    An lets be honest that very rare bonus day lie in is sooooo nice

PS as a British person edwardsi thank you very much for those nice comments.

maddogb;4290612

well excuse us!!, actually my theory is the country grinds to a halt cos … well excuse us!!, actually my theory is the country grinds to a halt cos the truth is we want it too. we would rather have the roads close every 10 yrs or so and give us an excuse for a day or two off than consistently pay the extra taxes for guys and equipment to sit around waiting for heavy snow that appears once a decade. An lets be honest that very rare bonus day lie in is sooooo nicePS as a British person edwardsi thank you very much for those nice comments.

Yes I must admit the day off was VERY nice, my DH stayed home and we made the most of the day as a family. DId more playing around on that day, than we do on a weekend!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/TheWheelman/InSovietRussia-1.png

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/cute-puppy-pictures-pulls-hair-braid.jpg

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-kitteh-captions-you.jpg

I second Edward's comments. You can't compare U.K. with any other country of the world just for the reason that it stood still in the face of some rare extreme weather conditions. UK spends a lot in the education and health which many other countries don't do. I am not a British either but I consider U.K. the best country on this earth to live despite this snow thing. I love the individual freedom and democracy the most. One needs to experience life in other countries to really appreciate what Britain is.

It is true it doesn't create a good impression when a city like London comes to a halt due to snow. Perhaps, the government can come up with stand by arrangements in the economic hubs of U.K., rest could enjoy in their cosy homes as we did :whistling:

PS: I strongly detest and disagree with the comments that this country is a joke.

Thank you pied piper!

We often think the grass is greener somewhere else.

We should really appreciate what we have!

Your right BG1. I had a hairdressers appointment at 10:30 this morning. I dragged by ass out of bed as I did go to sleep till 5ish and the idiot wasnt even there!!! Grrr!!! So have re-booked with another hairdresser in 30 mins.

Banned

Every country will struggle to deal with "extreme" conditions.(Australia … Every country will struggle to deal with "extreme" conditions.(Australia has struggled with extreme heat, US didnt cope with Katrina)If Russia didnt deal with snow everyday, they wouldnt have an economy!Where as I havent seen this much snow, down around London and south East in my life time. (Midlands and further north should expect it more, but below M4 this is very rare)We could spend millions on making sure roads are gritted 24 hours a day and store large snow plows for one day use every 10 years.Or we could spend it on something we know we need, like hospitals and schoolsTho i agree we should pull our fingers out and make every effort to get to school!(6 turned up on Monday!

Lol comparing a bit of snow to huricane Katrina :oops:

Because they have not spent millions on being prepared for this sort of weather they buisnesses are losing more through revenue due to lose of productivity as the country can't handle the weather.

I think its a joke that the councils are running out of grit after only a week, I bet they will be after council tax increases for more next year :x

Its a through sign of global warming that Glasgow isn't being affected as much as down south. I wanted to be snowed in so I wouldn't have to go to work :?

A German economist was being interviewed on TV the other day. She said she respected our stance on the weather i.e. why spend massive amounts on gritters, ploughs etc which are stood idle for 363/365 (or more even) days of the year. How many of you have bags of salt taking up shed space after all ?

It is more cost effective for the occassional business day(s) to be lost and a lot of people can "work" from home now, as I did on Monday before going in for the night shift, once the snowing had stopped. Don't forget this is the worst we've seen for almost 20 years. I did find the TV pictures of a lady hobbling down the icy pavement in 4 inch stilettos really funny tho!

And how does the man who drives the snowplough get to work ?

maddogb;4290612

well excuse us!!, actually my theory is the country grinds to a halt cos … well excuse us!!, actually my theory is the country grinds to a halt cos the truth is we want it too.

finally............ the truth!
    It really is as simple as that.....imo as a nation we are an over exaggerating bunch.. instead of simply driving safely at a reduced speed ...people will ring work and say oh im snowed in...pathetic.

Banned

tallpete33;4291339

A German economist was being interviewed on TV the other day. She said … A German economist was being interviewed on TV the other day. She said she respected our stance on the weather i.e. why spend massive amounts on gritters, ploughs etc which are stood idle for 363/365 (or more even) days of the year. How many of you have bags of salt taking up shed space after all ? It is more cost effective for the occassional business day(s) to be lost and a lot of people can "work" from home now, as I did on Monday before going in for the night shift, once the snowing had stopped. Don't forget this is the worst we've seen for almost 20 years. I did find the TV pictures of a lady hobbling down the icy pavement in 4 inch stilettos really funny tho!And how does the man who drives the snowplough get to work ?

But we already have the gritters in place its having the grit and being organised enough to put a plan of action into place to minimise disruption to transport services that we need to sort.

Also the vast majority of workers can't work from home given no notice so it is losing companies a lot of money at a time when they can't afford it.

Butterflies;4290641

Yes I must admit the day off was VERY nice, my DH stayed home and we made … Yes I must admit the day off was VERY nice, my DH stayed home and we made the most of the day as a family. DId more playing around on that day, than we do on a weekend!

Too much information !!!! :w00t:;-):p

edwardsi;4290266

In Russia people get kidnapped, companies get stolen off the companies … In Russia people get kidnapped, companies get stolen off the companies registrar and nobody makes a noise and even if anyone makes a noise it is not heard by anyone.In UK it snowed like this only once in 18 years. In India it rains every year yet the entire system gets closed every year. There is no solution. In countries like Bahrain & Romania don't even ask how the government is run. I have lived and worked for a long time in all 5 countries above. More than 2 years each and UK is far better than most.I am not British so its easy for me to appreciate the good things. The general population is more polite than what the press makes us believe and living conditions much much better.

tallpete33;4291339

A German economist was being interviewed on TV the other day. She said … A German economist was being interviewed on TV the other day. She said she respected our stance on the weather i.e. why spend massive amounts on gritters, ploughs etc which are stood idle for 363/365 (or more even) days of the year. How many of you have bags of salt taking up shed space after all ? It is more cost effective for the occassional business day(s) to be lost and a lot of people can "work" from home now, as I did on Monday before going in for the night shift, once the snowing had stopped. Don't forget this is the worst we've seen for almost 20 years. I did find the TV pictures of a lady hobbling down the icy pavement in 4 inch stilettos really funny tho!And how does the man who drives the snowplough get to work ?

I agree with these except:
    I haven't lived in 5 countries
    and schools should be closed ;-)

Maybe this country would spiral out of control in a financial crisis if we tried to buy and store a bit of grit and salt.. it's a good job this country has saved all that salt and grit money or we would all be starving, and have no free bikes to ride.

shibi din;4291515

Too much information !!!! :w00t:;-):p

LOL there's always someone!

DH wishes hahaha :-D

Banned

Kinda obvious you're school is closed again BG1. (No h4t3)

When you get a bit bigger and tackle subjects such as economics, ask your teacher why they think his happens. I will expect the they will explain that the cost to the country for days such as the last few days, is far less than the cost of maintaining the equipment and man power needed in these types of emergencies.

In places like Switzerland, the schools never close for "snowdays" even though they get "real" snow. Reason, if they didnt, the country would grind to a halt. Not a major problem when its one day every 3 years, but a serious one, when its 2 weeks per month in the winter!

No need to rep...... I have far too much already. :thumbsup:

I remember when I was younger there were grit bins as part of the street furniture. I really have no idea when these were removed, but I guess once a decision has been made to remove the street furniture and cut stock levels of grit it would be incredibly expensive for any new council to fund the cost of putting things back. Whether we like it or not certainly in London we will have to live with the risk of getting a bad snowfall and grinding to a halt.

I dont necessarily agree with the vast sums of money that the newsmedia keeps saying is being lost to the economy. Yes, there will be a loss, and a significant one . But its not unusual for staff to work harder to catch up with tasks that were not completed on snow days. Is all this extra activity taken into account as evidence of extra productive days. I doubt it. I think it is lazy reporting where information they are being fed is not questioned.

Stopping the buses can maybe be largely explained by the fact that we run doubledeckers and bendy buses which would be more hazardous in extreme conditions. I dont know why they didnt decide to run a limited service with routes that use single deckers though.

I'm sure there were bendy buses operating when I was out ski-ing in Italy a few years back!

Not that I'm disagreeing with any comments - it's just that a memory has been sparked off.

What do you mean this donkey is a joke?

Liddle ol' me;4292984

What do you mean this donkey is a joke?

you been spending time on the cannabis thread?

maddogb;4293036

you been spending time on the cannabis thread?

Something like that

Original Poster

Meant to be one of the biggest superpowers in the world and cant handle a day of snow.

jeez.

/still mad.

Original Poster

ttt...

Must admit.. I know these are extreme conditions but as the bad weather thing continues it is annoying me more and more. At first I was prepared to accept that maybe we had been a bit off guard but now as it appears that large areas of the country are running out of gritting salt things look a little difficult. We look to local and national government to keep certain services running. Questions need to be asked and heads may need to roll over this issue. Why has this been allowed to happen?

Maybe we should build a giant tent that covers the whole country to the snow just lands on it. It could also be used when it is too hot, too rainy etc. (serious)

The JFK;4306966

Maybe we should build a giant tent that covers the whole country to the … Maybe we should build a giant tent that covers the whole country to the snow just lands on it. It could also be used when it is too hot, too rainy etc. (serious)

Gotta be best advice from JFK ever

nikkib123;4306977

It would just be blown away by the freak winds we have!

But as pointed how here, not very well thought through
    Worth a chuckle though
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions