This iPhone hack could make your phone run 10x faster

Editor
Just found this little trick online! If you find your iPhone is crazy slow at loading Safari, or apps keep crashing then it's worth a try.

Marc Forrest discovered this hack get your iPhone running more efficiently.

• Go to your homepage. Press and hold the power button until you see the ‘Slide To Power Off’ message.

• Take your finger off and hold down the home button for 5 seconds

This should clear your RAM memory which means your phone should run a lot faster

Let us know how you get on!

34 Comments

Seems to work on iPad too.

iphonehacks.com/201…tml
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 28th Sep 2016

Original Poster Editor

Predikuesi

Seems to work on iPad … Seems to work on iPad too.http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/02/instantly-free-up-ram-on-iphone-to-improve-performance.html

Nice!! Thanks

came here for some crazy drilling tutorial

You can also add this "improvement" to your iPhone/iOS10.0.2. Quietly added in the 2nd update.

General >> Accessibility >> Home Button >> Enable "rest finger to open"

I know when I updated our iPad Mini (original one - now used by the kids) to iOS9 it almost went unusably slow. Mainly safari or any time the keyboard came up to input text.

There's not much on it other than Netflix / youtube etc so it's not as though it's bloated AFAIK. Ill try this little trick and see if it helps.

It's a bit of a **** con by apple to force you to upgrade a device which is perfectly usable. I know you don't have to update the operating system, but then any apps that update to operate on the new iOS can't be updated and sometimes won't open without updating...

GlanzaV

I know when I updated our iPad Mini (original one - now used by the kids) … I know when I updated our iPad Mini (original one - now used by the kids) to iOS9 it almost went unusably slow. Mainly safari or any time the keyboard came up to input text.There's not much on it other than Netflix / youtube etc so it's not as though it's bloated AFAIK. Ill try this little trick and see if it helps.It's a bit of a **** con by apple to force you to upgrade a device which is perfectly usable. I know you don't have to update the operating system, but then any apps that update to operate on the new iOS can't be updated and sometimes won't open without updating...

I believe this true, but they'll never admit it.

Thanks, i think it worked... Cheers OP!

kiish

You can also add this "improvement" to your iPhone/iOS10.0.2. Quietly … You can also add this "improvement" to your iPhone/iOS10.0.2. Quietly added in the 2nd update. General >> Accessibility >> Home Button >> Enable "rest finger to open"

That was hidden in the original update

Is there a way to find out if it worked without buying an app?

deeky

Download a free one that reports/monitors RAM usage instead.

Duh!

fanpages

Download a free one that reports/monitors RAM usage instead.Duh!

Aah, but how do I find out what it was before I tried the trick?

deeky

fanpages

deeky

Download the (free) "app", reboot the 'phone/tablet, run the "app", note the results, close the "app", & reboot again.

Let the device run for 12 hours with 'normal' usage.

Run the "app" again, & note the results. Close the "app".

Do the "trick".

Run the "app" again, & note the results.

Compare all three sets of results.

Buy an Android device.

£Profit.

"old" but works perfectly been doing this since 6S came out.

Thank You

deeky

fanpages

deeky

There's gotta be a punctuation error somewhere in there

Thanks OP

Alternatively buy a native Android device.

Download Vidgets much better and customisable (and free);
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/vidgets/id897374553?mt=8

Has all the ones you need for CPU/RAM/Disk Space/Network (Wifi & SIM) monitor
Edited by: "kiish" 28th Sep 2016

how is it a trick to be able to clear running apps on an iPhone, that things like android have done since it was released, which also has easy access to/

FFS "have you tried turning it off and back on again" has been the first words out of any tech support bod for the last 20 years, for any problem. Why is this a surprise to anyone!

Chiptivo

Alternatively buy a native Android device.

Nah

kiish

Download Vidgets much better and customisable (and … Download Vidgets much better and customisable (and free);https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/vidgets/id897374553?mt=8Has all the ones you need for CPU/RAM/Disk Space/Network (Wifi & SIM) monitor

Thanx. Ill try that now. I usually use an app called Battery, this frees up ram pretty quick.

My iPhone SE has never needed me to free the ram though.

Apple have been 'avin a laugh for years selling expensive phones and tablets with very small amounts of RAM and storage.
Doesn't matter how good an O/S is you still need a decent amount of RAM if you are going to use it in more than a basic way.
They are a very cynical company.

Not a trick or a hack as it's been available for a number of iphone versions.

SmilingCrow

Apple have been 'avin a laugh for years selling expensive phones and … Apple have been 'avin a laugh for years selling expensive phones and tablets with very small amounts of RAM and storage.Doesn't matter how good an O/S is you still need a decent amount of RAM if you are going to use it in more than a basic way.

Apple manages to sell devices with lower ram than competitors with comparable performance by enforcing usage of a language which compiles directly to machine code rather than a virtual machine with garbage collection for memory management, such as Android uses. The virtual machine/garbage collection approach has far higher ram requirements. There's a trade off between RAM available on the system and battery usage, so the more RAM, the faster the battery dies.

That being said, they do take the mickey with the price for general purpose storage.

GlanzaV

I know when I updated our iPad Mini (original one - now used by the kids) … I know when I updated our iPad Mini (original one - now used by the kids) to iOS9 it almost went unusably slow. Mainly safari or any time the keyboard came up to input text.There's not much on it other than Netflix / youtube etc so it's not as though it's bloated AFAIK. Ill try this little trick and see if it helps.It's a bit of a **** con by apple to force you to upgrade a device which is perfectly usable. I know you don't have to update the operating system, but then any apps that update to operate on the new iOS can't be updated and sometimes won't open without updating...

That's Apple profit upgrade feature, and "junk" it feature in case people use it for more than 4 years. We got a few iPAD, unreluctantly or by mistake or by force, they have been upgraded to iOS 9. Apple have learnt from Microsoft Windows XP as it is so enduring.

Nice 'feature', but definitely not a 'hack' by definition.

Some apps have had this function for years. Never noticed any speed difference personally. The OS will automatically free up memory from unused apps anyway.

Apple devices are designed to keep recently used apps in RAM so that they load faster. Less recently used apps are removed from RAM automatically. By using this trick you are making your recently used apps load SLOWER and using up more battery power in the process!

Memory leak? (_;)

What utter nonsense. The iPhone is well-known for having great memory management and there is absolutely no way you can speed it up by anywhere near 10 times.

Downloaded Vidgets but can't see option to measure ram usage etc
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764006
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??66
    3. What an absolute disgrace2157
    4. Weekly game codes giveaway 182720

See more discussions