This is how the US does deals...

Found 3rd Dec 2017
I'm currently in Macy's flagship store at 34th Street, Manhattan. Everything in the store is reduced by at least 25%. Some big name brands, like Levis for example, are as much as 50% off. But get this - there is an additional 30% off the reduced price as well. Macy's is one of the biggest, most recognised retailers in the world. They don't have to sell their inventory for such reduced prices. But they obviously recognise that people both need an incentive to spend their hard earned money at their store, and that money is still pretty scarce. How many UK retailers would put on a sale of such preportions just weeks before Christmas?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
5?
Mate, you should go to DFS, it'll blow your mind.
18 Comments
5?
But how inflated where the prices to start with?

Plus a quick Google shows Macy's sales have been down 32% this year, they put a big drive to hire lots of staff for Christmas saying they would pretty much fight Amazon head on, so it looks like they have engaged in a aggressive drive in hopes of it creating repeat custom in 2018
Segata-Sanshiro39 m ago

But how inflated where the prices to start with? Plus a quick Google shows …But how inflated where the prices to start with? Plus a quick Google shows Macy's sales have been down 32% this year, they put a big drive to hire lots of staff for Christmas saying they would pretty much fight Amazon head on, so it looks like they have engaged in a aggressive drive in hopes of it creating repeat custom in 2018

I was basically going to say inflation so you covered all my points
try and buy the wooden escalator in the sale
Felicitous1 h, 21 m ago

I was basically going to say inflation so you covered all my points

According to the article i found a small group of US large retailers have decided to go agressive this year, i guess that means cutting to the bone while they still can instead of slowly bleeding dry, i can't see any point to it as they ain't going to kill Amazon and its not going to be sustainable
Great info, thanks for sharing
Macy's is a jumble sale...
So what you're saying is you've been sucked in by all their discounts?

Partly joking, we bought a load from Macy's when we went to New York. How can they afford it? Scales of economy, reduced staff costs? Google suggests you'll struggle to get paid more than $9 an hour working there. Even with the pound falling that's significantly below our minimum wage.
Wait! Macys sells at RRP and then heavily discounts.

I have had a home in Florida since the early 90's and back then there was a great difference in the prices in the US and UK and also the buying power.

IME and this will differ from state to state, food costs are similar to here now for a lot of items esp. as many states charge sales tax on food which not listed. Same for clothing, electrical items etc.

Diesel, RL, TH to name a few brands that in the USA stock less "fashionable" items then they do in the UK/EU and items which are not made of the same materials.

Its been widely discussed here the US market shirts and jumpers you find on their online store, in shops in the USA like "Dillards" are always heavily discounted RL shirts just $39 or jumpers for $45.

Not everything with the same label on is made equal.
I was told to visit that Macy's as part of my New York tour. To me, it was just a scruffy department store, offered nothing?

Am I being unfair?
op have you never been to the US before, this is how their work in most stores, maybe a few days between offers but every weekend is a sale.
What an irrelevant subject title, the title says United States, then the contents of post completely destroyed the concept of United States and OP shots his foot as the US deal is only applicable to one flagship store in the entire list of United States store.
What sort of question is, having just identified one flagship store, then asks folks here how many retailers in UK can do the same ?
Edited by: "splender" 3rd Dec 2017
Josh.Rogan2 h, 33 m ago

It’s true. How many US stores have a sale for 367 days of the year?
Their politicians are quite cheap this time of year as well.

tappy
Macy's is a local shop for local people, they don't have any trouble there.
32635941-q3q7r.jpg
Thinly veiled "Look at me I'm in America" post.
shabbird3rd Dec

Thinly veiled "Look at me I'm in America" post.

Balls. I'm in America so often I've earned the right to call it "the states". But it is the first time I've been here in the run up to Christmas. And it's not just one store, as one of the other whingers suggested. I was using Macy's as an example of a world famous store, one which visitors from all over the world flock to in their millions each year. And they'll buy from there just for bragging rights. So they don't need to offer such huge discounts. Almost every well known own brand store, and those which aren't so well known, are having massive sales.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions