Groups
    EXPIRED

This laptop deal any good?

Hi,

New here (old lurker)

Am after a laptop but not really a techie, what i want a laptop for is basically surfing the net, watching movies, basic word processing and that's about it.

Would like something with 1GB RAM, cd/dvd drive, wireless ready, 60/80GB hard drive, not bothered about VISTA. got about £500 +/- a few £ to spend

Have seen this one:

currys.co.uk/mar…jsp[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddkggfglhmcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0&page=Product&sku=958726

any comments? not sure about Advent as a brand.

also would I be able to remove Vista and install XP instead?

many thanks

8 Comments

raagil, you can get better specd Dell laptops for £50 more... check the HOT DEALS forum

If you still prefer the Currys one, you can get further 5% discount using code DIFFERENCE05 and 3% cashback via Quidco.

raagil

Hi,New here (old lurker) Am after a laptop but not really a techie, … Hi,New here (old lurker) Am after a laptop but not really a techie, what i want a laptop for is basically surfing the net, watching movies, basic word processing and that's about it.Would like something with 1GB RAM, cd/dvd drive, wireless ready, 60/80GB hard drive, not bothered about VISTA. got about £500 +/- a few £ to spendHave seen this one:http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddkggfglhmcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0&page=Product&sku=958726any comments? not sure about Advent as a brand.also would I be able to remove Vista and install XP instead?many thanks

Yes you can remove Vista and install XP but only fi you format the hard drive.

Also if you are using your own XP that has been used on another PC you may get a validation error.

EDIT:
    Forget what I just said, I think someone said that Vista will run multiple operating systems but not sure how easy that is, maybe worth looking into.

Welcome to the site You will be glad you joined, I lurked before I joined and it just isnt the same!

Original Poster

thanks for the input. still undecided

am quite tempted....
    currys.co.uk/mar…uct

and an extra 5% off too knocks it down to 475 + a blueie for del

thoughts?

alternatively... when do dell host new deals? is it about time/worth hanging on?

thanks

raagil

thanks for the input. still undecided ;)am quite … thanks for the input. still undecided ;)am quite tempted....]http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddkggeleeicflgceggdhhmdfhk.0&page=Product&sku=438559&calling_page=Productand an extra 5% off too knocks it down to 475 + a blueie for delthoughts?alternatively... when do dell host new deals? is it about time/worth hanging on?thanks

it's not bad and will cope with most tasks..just don't expect to play games with decent settings.

Original Poster

cheers currychops

i think that i have decided, its a fight between that toshiba one above and this acer one currys.co.uk/mar…405

both get 5% off and free delivery so :thumbsup:

I think the Tosh is your better bet if you want durability..they tend to be more resilient to knocks than Acer.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.35
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767334
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2035
      4. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…2469

See more discussions