Thomas Cook ceases trading - Are you abroad or expecting to travel? Read the below

Posted 23rd Sep
Update 1
Thanks for the info below @OllieSt , so sad to see a company cease trading

Here's the crucial info for people who are either already abroad, or have a holiday booked with Thomas Cook

Customers already abroad

If your flight out of the UK was with Thomas Cook, and you are due to return by 6 October... a new flight will be provided to to return you to the UK. After this date you will have to make your own travel arrangements. From a small number of locations, passengers will have to book their own return flights. To find out how your return journey will work, please read I am currently abroad (https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/).

If your flight out of the UK was with Thomas Cook, and you are due on or after 7 October... then whether a flight will be arranged for you depends on the type of holiday you booked. If it wasn't ATOL-protected, you will have to arrange your own return flight, and then make a claim from your travel insurer or credit cartd company. Full info in Returning 7 October or later (https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/if-you-are-due-to-fly-back-on-or-after-7-october-2019/)

If you having difficulties in your hotel due to Thomas Cook ceasing trading, and are ATOL-protected a, please read managing difficulties with accommodation (https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/managing-difficulties-with-your-accommodation/).

Customers yet to travel out of the UK

All future holidays and flights booked with Thomas Cook are cancelled, as of 23 September 2019. If you are booked on a Thomas Cook Airlines flight, do not go to your UK airport, as your flight will not be operating, and won't be replaced. If you choose to book a new flight with another airline out of the UK, you will not be eligible for a repatriation flight.

- If your package holiday was ATOL-protected... Then you are eligible for a refund under the ATOL scheme. Thomas Cook says it will provide more information on its website o by 30 September 2019.

- If you booked a holiday with Thomas Cook but your flights are with a different airline... your flights may still be available, so check with the airline directly. If you wish to travel, you can do so and make a claim to ATOL for the cost of replacing your other travel services (as it's possible you won't be able to stay in the planned hotel); or if you don't want to travel, you can claim a full refund under the ATOL scheme

- If you booked hotels/flights yourself... and didn't buy as a package, then it is unlikely you are ATOL-protected. In that case, you will either need to make a claim via your travel insurance policy, or alternatively from your credit card or debit card company

Here's how to check if your holiday was ATOL-protected (https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/check-if-you-are-atol-protected/)

Further information is available at I have a future booking and have not travelled yet (https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-traveled-yet/).

PLEASE NOTE: Some of Thomas Cook's package holiday bookings include flights with airlines unrelated to the Thomas Cook Group. If your return flight is not with Thomas Cook's airline, it will still be valid. However other elements of the package, such as accommodation and transfers will be affected (https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/managing-difficulties-with-your-accommodation/).
The inevitable news

Civil Aviation Authority - Information for customers and travel businesses

If you are currently abroad

If you have a future booking and have not traveled yet

Affected Thomas Cook Group companies
  • Thomas Cook Retail Ltd (ATOL 0020)
  • Thomas Cook Tour Operations Ltd (ATOL 1179)
  • Future Travel Ltd (ATOL 5704)
  • The Freedom Travel Group Ltd (ATOL 6042)
  • TCCT Retail Ltd (ATOL 10585)

The CAA’s call centre for Thomas Cook customers can be contacted as follows.

• Phoning from the UK (reduced rate): 0300 303 2800
  • Phoning from overseas: +44 1753 330 330
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Yes just seen that . Our first thoughts are with the holidaymakers who will face disruption to their current holidays at best . Also those who are booked in the next few weeks , haven't a clue how long ATOL or credit card /insurance refunds take but I doubt they will be quick . Many folks won't be able to afford to rebook until they get their refund .

Most of all think of the thousands of Thomas Cook employees who are jobless as of 2am . I've had many excellent Thomas Cook holidays and the staff / reps etc were marvellous . It wasn't your fault guys , it was your abysmal top management .
Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd Sep
So you are wondering about booking a holiday? A holiday costing between £100 and £30,000?

Put as little as £1on the Credit Card and have the comfort of knowing the Credit Card merchant is jointly liable with the holiday company. This has been the case for nearly half a century but people still don't take advantage of it.
which.co.uk/con…act

And its not just holidays. All UK, GBP goods or Services sales bought this way by a consumer are covered. There was a growing trend to include EU transactions under this but the banks will lobby to exclude that once the UK leaves so it is unwise to assume it will continue
Edited by: "ccnp" 23rd Sep
Was supposed to fly out on Saturday to Turkey but heyho, at least I'm still employed which is unfortunately not what a lot of people can say after todays news - thoughts go out to these people
Its the top management's greed and bonuses that did it. And shareholders too, who need to be accomodated (via dividends) first and foremost.

The ugly face of capitalism.

Ditto the financial crisis. Not even one banker was prosecuted, think! And we are still suffering austerity for bailing them out.
159 Comments
Yes just seen that . Our first thoughts are with the holidaymakers who will face disruption to their current holidays at best . Also those who are booked in the next few weeks , haven't a clue how long ATOL or credit card /insurance refunds take but I doubt they will be quick . Many folks won't be able to afford to rebook until they get their refund .

Most of all think of the thousands of Thomas Cook employees who are jobless as of 2am . I've had many excellent Thomas Cook holidays and the staff / reps etc were marvellous . It wasn't your fault guys , it was your abysmal top management .
Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd Sep
Shocking. People rang up last week to be told everything is fine.
Sure they could have reduced the aircraft instead and sold them!
My dad was due to fly out this dinner time, gutted for him but still at least he won't have to deal with the mayhem of being in the airport until they are flown home and all that hassle, I can imagine that being so so stressful... Shame for everyone
Awful but inevitable news. At least it now gives people some certainty, they can make their claims through ATOL, credit cards, insurance etc and can try and make plans for their holidays.
Misslovely23/09/2019 03:58

Shocking. People rang up last week to be told everything is fine. Sure …Shocking. People rang up last week to be told everything is fine. Sure they could have reduced the aircraft instead and sold them!

Selling your aircraft and cancelling associated holidays is not a good way of increasing cashflow.
Thanks Ollie. Could you add 2 lines?

> Contact your travel insurance company
> Contact your Credit Card company (assuming you put ANY of the cost on a credit card. which.co.uk/con…act)
So you are wondering about booking a holiday? A holiday costing between £100 and £30,000?

Put as little as £1on the Credit Card and have the comfort of knowing the Credit Card merchant is jointly liable with the holiday company. This has been the case for nearly half a century but people still don't take advantage of it.
which.co.uk/con…act

And its not just holidays. All UK, GBP goods or Services sales bought this way by a consumer are covered. There was a growing trend to include EU transactions under this but the banks will lobby to exclude that once the UK leaves so it is unwise to assume it will continue
Its the top management's greed and bonuses that did it. And shareholders too, who need to be accomodated (via dividends) first and foremost.

The ugly face of capitalism.

Ditto the financial crisis. Not even one banker was prosecuted, think! And we are still suffering austerity for bailing them out.
Had a friend who called Thomas Cook on Saturday to confirm their holiday/flights today were still okay, was told yes and not to worry.

He went down to hotel near airport yesterday evening.

Hes gutted and annoyed... ugh. What a bad situation for people going today.

Shocking. People rang up last week to be told everything is fine. Sure …Shocking. People rang up last week to be told everything is fine. Sure they could have reduced the aircraft instead and sold them!

They almost certainly leased their planes (leasing in general is much cheaper for businesses that buying). That aside, their only hope for survival was to be bought out or to receive enough money to cover a year or two of operation, no one's going to book with a company that they know could go under.
ArcAndPie23/09/2019 08:13

Had a friend who called Thomas Cook on Saturday to confirm their …Had a friend who called Thomas Cook on Saturday to confirm their holiday/flights today were still okay, was told yes and not to worry.He went down to hotel near airport yesterday evening.Hes gutted and annoyed... ugh. What a bad situation for people going today.

As of yesterday they were still solvent and trading.
adam_holcombe23/09/2019 08:23

Sure, it's no fault of whoever told him but it's still awful to happen to anybody expecting to go on holiday today

I hope the 615,000~ get home safely too.

they don't own the aircraft
littlemeglet23/09/2019 08:31

they don't own the aircraft

Ok, that's fine. Iv been told before lol
Wish I could lease one.

They don’t own all their aircraft
Our honeymoon, a once-in-a-lifetime holiday for us, was booked for March next year, all through Thomas Cook. Sri Lanka for 5 nights, then onto the Maldives for 7 nights.

Now we're going to have to wait for a refund, then try and find something similar online I guess. I've never booked holidays online, certainly not this type of extravagence, can anyone recommend any decent website?

Cheers,

Graybags
It Happens. Protect yourself properly, no one has died. It's not the sinking of the Titanic ! Insurance is cheap and readily available and using a credit card for a holiday booking is absolutely common sense.
Welcome to the adult world. To the armchair experts...I suspect your skills are not quite as incredible as you think on how to run a massive airline holiday business
Edited by: "FlahertyDeals" 23rd Sep
who is going to be next Ryanair or easy jet ?
not_graybags23/09/2019 08:33

Our honeymoon, a once-in-a-lifetime holiday for us, was booked for March …Our honeymoon, a once-in-a-lifetime holiday for us, was booked for March next year, all through Thomas Cook. Sri Lanka for 5 nights, then onto the Maldives for 7 nights.Now we're going to have to wait for a refund, then try and find something similar online I guess. I've never booked holidays online, certainly not this type of extravagence, can anyone recommend any decent website?Cheers,Graybags

Go with trailfinders.com/
andykapa23/09/2019 08:43

who is going to be next Ryanair or easy jet ?

I don't understand? You're not comparing like for like with that. Both of them are doing very well?
deleted2172605
yadiyada23/09/2019 08:28

Comment deleted

realistically though, how long would £200m have kept them afloat. it would be another £200m in two weeks, then another, then another. sucks though as we always used to book our Cuba holidays with TC and now the only competitor left is Tui and they were horrible when we used them last.
thehoneymunster23/09/2019 08:44

I don't understand? You're not comparing like for like with that. Both of …I don't understand? You're not comparing like for like with that. Both of them are doing very well?

Apparently Thomas cook was doing well also but just bust suddenly.
Was supposed to fly out on Saturday to Turkey but heyho, at least I'm still employed which is unfortunately not what a lot of people can say after todays news - thoughts go out to these people
adam_holcombe23/09/2019 08:23

I'm just in from night shift. The news broke at 2am. At 02:10 their website was still taking bookings. Not until just after that it was taken down
Stripes8123/09/2019 08:51

I'm just in from night shift. The news broke at 2am. At 02:10 their …I'm just in from night shift. The news broke at 2am. At 02:10 their website was still taking bookings. Not until just after that it was taken down

Assuming you didn't actually book something at 2:10, how do you know they were still taking bookings?

Our honeymoon, a once-in-a-lifetime holiday for us, was booked for March …Our honeymoon, a once-in-a-lifetime holiday for us, was booked for March next year, all through Thomas Cook. Sri Lanka for 5 nights, then onto the Maldives for 7 nights.Now we're going to have to wait for a refund, then try and find something similar online I guess. I've never booked holidays online, certainly not this type of extravagence, can anyone recommend any decent website?Cheers,Graybags

I always book online had no problems just make sure it’s one you recognise ie Onthe beach , travel republic , love holidays,
andykapa23/09/2019 08:51

Apparently Thomas cook was doing well also but just bust suddenly.

This has been on the cards on and off for almost a decade so was hardly a surprise
Pretty sure the issue was the fact the bosses where getting millions in bonuses.

I get it a million pound bonus is nice but what's worth more getting a bonus or your business collapsing.

As someone said above thomas cook had assets to cover that, such as aircrafts etc they just went the easy way out.
Edited by: "X-Ray" 23rd Sep
yadiyada23/09/2019 08:28

Comment deleted

From an interview this morning: "Transport secretary Grant Shapps confirms that the repatriation of Thomas Cook customers - known as Operation Matterhorn - will cost the taxpayer around £100m. He tells the BBC's Today programme: "We know that the Monarch rescue was about £50m. We know that this is about 50% bigger."

Obviously, if he'd have done maths at school he's have realised that 50% bigger than £50m is actually £75m, but either way it's a lot less than the £600m that was chucked about last week, and less than a bailout which would have only deferred their collapse anyway. By all measures, Thomas Cook weren't a well run company and hadn't modernised quickly enough over the last few years. Personally, I'm not in favour of the government putting public money into failing private businesses and while it's clearly painful and distressing for customers and employees alike, state bailouts are not the way to fix these things.
I'd tr

Try Travel Counsellors, I had them book a honeymoon in the same region for us - you tell them what you want and they sort out options. We did two weeks on Kuramthi and it was ace...

They will sort anywhere if you give them a view of what you are looking for.
adam_holcombe23/09/2019 08:52

Assuming you didn't actually book something at 2:10, how do you know they …Assuming you didn't actually book something at 2:10, how do you know they were still taking bookings?

Because their website was still accepting bookings... no I didnt book anything, that would have been silly wouldn't it
Stripes8123/09/2019 09:12

Because their website was still accepting bookings... no I didnt book …Because their website was still accepting bookings... no I didnt book anything, that would have been silly wouldn't it

So you don't know if it was accepting bookings or not then..
Mark_Foreveryoung23/09/2019 08:46

Comment deleted

Nothing to do with the unsustainable business model ? they have been struggling for over a decade
adam_holcombe23/09/2019 09:13

So you don't know if it was accepting bookings or not then..

If you mean taking payment then I guess it's a no. But their website was still advertising holidays and deals so If I were to put my payment details in, im sure they'd have taken my money
deleted1410297
Awful news, will be weird hearing of holiday packages without Thomas cook being mentioned, for now maybe.
ccnp23/09/2019 07:31

So you are wondering about booking a holiday? A holiday costing between …So you are wondering about booking a holiday? A holiday costing between £100 and £30,000?Put as little as £1on the Credit Card and have the comfort of knowing the Credit Card merchant is jointly liable with the holiday company. This has been the case for nearly half a century but people still don't take advantage of it.https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-actAnd its not just holidays. All UK, GBP goods or Services sales bought this way by a consumer are covered. There was a growing trend to include EU transactions under this but the banks will lobby to exclude that once the UK leaves so it is unwise to assume it will continue

Is it not £100 on the credit card, or have I got that wrong?
Thomas cook nearly went bust in 2011 when they had over 90% wiped off their share price... it has been coming since January as their price took a further tumble and kept going... Never heard of staff strikes at TC, they were mostly paid well with great share options. Unfortunately running a travel company is complex, even fuel is hedged.

It's certainly really sad for the staff and those stuck and losing out but i'm not sure the general tax payer should pick-up a bill for the bail-out? There are working tax payers who couldn't afford a holiday in the first place, why should they pay? It's what atol, CC and holiday insurance is about.

Can quite see how getting 150k people home equates to £600m, that's £4k a seat! You can charter a 747 for 10hrs for only £380 a seat... sounds like fake news to pressure the government into bailing them out. Once Atol, CC and insurance have stepped up the country might have to chip in £100m... certainly nowhere near £600m.

That's unless that figure includes lost tax payments, job seekers allowance, working tax credit, etc.?
Onlydongles23/09/2019 08:09

Its the top management's greed and bonuses that did it. And shareholders …Its the top management's greed and bonuses that did it. And shareholders too, who need to be accomodated (via dividends) first and foremost.The ugly face of capitalism. Ditto the financial crisis. Not even one banker was prosecuted, think! And we are still suffering austerity for bailing them out.

Does capitalism have any other face than ugly? (rhetorical)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants