Thomas Cook - Changing Star Rating of Hotel

Found 14th Jan 2016
Hi I have just noticed that the hotel we booked through Thomas Cook a few months ago has been downgraded from a 4 star to a 3 star. Should we have been made aware of this? Where does this leave us?

Jet2 consider this a 'Major Change' but can't find anything on Thomas Cook website
Community Updates
AskHotel
15 Comments
Without looking at their T&C I would have thought that you would be entitled to cancel and be refunded if you aren't getting what you paid for, ie a 4* hotel.
Where did you see the original 4 star rating, was it a different site to the 3 star. I have noticed myself after booking a holiday different sites rate the same hotel with different star ratings.
Original Poster
Wyley100

Where did you see the original 4 star rating, was it a different site to … Where did you see the original 4 star rating, was it a different site to the 3 star. I have noticed myself after booking a holiday different sites rate the same hotel with different star ratings.

Nope got an email from Thomas Cook when booking which has four stars and now the website is saying three.
I'd query it with them, as you booked a 4* hotel and you believed you were paying for a 4*, therefore you are not getting what you were sold/purchased. No harm in asking the question, see what you get ie refund or change accommodation?
Edited by: "ashopaholic123" 14th Jan 2016
Examples of “major changes” include the following when made before departure; a change of accommodation area for the whole or a major part of your holiday, a change of accommodation to that of a lower official classification for the whole or a major part of your holiday, a change of outward departure time or overall length of your holiday of twelve or more hours, the closure of the only or all advertised swimming pool(s) at your accommodation for an extended period and, in the case of tours, a significant change of itinerary missing out one or more major destination substantially or altogether.

If we have to make a major change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of i) (for major changes) accepting the changed arrangements ii) having a refund of all monies paid or iii) accepting an offer of alternative travel arrangements of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value). You must notify us of your choice within 7 days of our offer. If you fail to do so we will assume that you have chosen to accept the change or alternative booking arrangements.

a change of accommodation to that of a lower official classification for the whole or a major part of your holiday

This is you, right? You booked a 4* and now you're getting a 3*.

Although I wouldn't hold your breath. You can pretty much bank on them wriggling out of it, and they obviously don't consider it a major change as you had to find out for yourself. They didn't notify you as per their T&C.
Edited by: "deeky" 14th Jan 2016
Wouldn't touch Thomas Cook with a barge pool
mickmurdoch

Superbly helpful comment..

Care to share with us why?
I too had this problem with TC but they told me it depends on the time of year you were visiting the hotel. In summer season it was 4 star and in winter season 3 star..they said it was about the number of facilities open etc not the actual quality of the hotel. Seems bizarre. Have you checked out trip advisor (although you have to take some of their reviews with a pinch of salt!)
adam_holcombe

Superbly helpful comment.. Care to share with us why?

Maybe because children die at their hotels and the person responsible was still working there way after it happened?
Original Poster
deeky

Examples of “major changes” include the following when made before dep … Examples of “major changes” include the following when made before departure; a change of accommodation area for the whole or a major part of your holiday, a change of accommodation to that of a lower official classification for the whole or a major part of your holiday, a change of outward departure time or overall length of your holiday of twelve or more hours, the closure of the only or all advertised swimming pool(s) at your accommodation for an extended period and, in the case of tours, a significant change of itinerary missing out one or more major destination substantially or altogether. If we have to make a major change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of i) (for major changes) accepting the changed arrangements ii) having a refund of all monies paid or iii) accepting an offer of alternative travel arrangements of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value). You must notify us of your choice within 7 days of our offer. If you fail to do so we will assume that you have chosen to accept the change or alternative booking arrangements.a change of accommodation to that of a lower official classification for the whole or a major part of your holidayThis is you, right? You booked a 4* and now you're getting a 3*. Although I wouldn't hold your breath. You can pretty much bank on them wriggling out of it, and they obviously don't consider it a major change as you had to find out for yourself. They didn't notify you as per their T&C.

Is that Thomas Cooks T&Cs?

I spoke on live chat and he sent me the link to a brochure that says it is 4 start but their website says its 3 star. Obviously old brochure. He said it'd lowered because of recent reviews they'd obtained. Didn't push further as wasn't sure my rights.

Been trying to get excursion details off them since the day we booked and still had nowt
I was stuck in Turkey for a week due to the Ash Cloud and only my return flight was with Thomas Cook, we'd flown out with Jet2 and booked the hotel direct. Thomas Cook put the four of us (and many other families) in a 5 star all-inclusive hotel with everything paid for including our airport transfer, I didn't even pay for the mini bar! Whenever possible I will book with Thomas Cook, I doubt any other holiday company would have looked after us so well.
feeder16

Is that Thomas Cooks T&Cs?I spoke on live chat and he sent me the link to … Is that Thomas Cooks T&Cs?I spoke on live chat and he sent me the link to a brochure that says it is 4 start but their website says its 3 star. Obviously old brochure. He said it'd lowered because of recent reviews they'd obtained. Didn't push further as wasn't sure my rights.Been trying to get excursion details off them since the day we booked and still had nowt

Yes, that's straight from their T&Cs.
mickmurdoch

Ive been on over 10 hols with thomas cook and never had a problem, including being delayed in cuba for 18 hours as there was a problem with the plane. They let us and lots of others stay fully inc an extra night, and 50 pounds each sent to us back in uk.
The most important thing is to find out WHY its downgraded. It might just be a minor thing,
So would a one star drop justify a refund
Original Poster
silentmovieman1

So would a one star drop justify a refund

As update, we ultimately got fobbed off. The holiday was good but ultimately disappointing from a Thomas Cook perspective. We contacted abta who have stepped in and said Thomas Cook have not acted fairly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants