thomas cook foreign currency - BEWARE

Found 10th Dec 2013
Thomas Cook in their town centre shop window displayed the euro exchange rate at 1.17 I had checked around and this seemed a good rate. I made the mistake of not confirming the rates and requested £200 worth of Euros and was asked if I wanted to round it up to just under £205 no amounts were mentioned and I handed the money over. In exchange the lady handed over 220 euros I queried this as it worked out at around 1.07 and they displayed 1.17 in the window and was told thiis was for over £500 worth of euros with a passport. This was not displayed in the window. So guys be aware always ask the exchange rate first before you hand money over. Don't feel ripped off like me.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

Could you not have asked them to give you your money back in GBP?

They're all sharks. I've noticed that in one particular place I was looking for dollars none of the four travel agents display their rates in the window. You go in and they ask if you've already had a quote, then if it's within what they already know, they offer to match.

The one I told I'd not even looked anywhere offered me 1.52 on dollars, when the average rate was over 1.58. That's basically criminal, worse than estate agents or letting agents and they're total scum (probably)

One other place not only asks for any previous quotes but adds the old trick of saying that have just enough dollars in, but they can't guarantee they'll have them if I didn't buy them right now.

I've met more honest car salesmen.

Just wait until you try to get them to buy it back, crooks,

Why do you need a passport to change money???

I use the Halifax clarity credit card for foreign money - look it up on mse, it's better than exchanging currency over the counter....

Thomas Crook strikes again!

You should have argue that you only bought because of the exchange rate displayed and was unaware of small print that they hadn't advertised.

well I had the opposite with Thomas Cook. I had searched euro rates online and figured that they were as good as I was gonna get by going in store. I got there and the rates were lower. I said it was higher online and she asked if I had ordered them online, I said no. she worked around the pc a bit trying to order them for me with online price and was able to do so. She was very helpful and I got the best deal possible from them

mclovin9091

Why do you need a passport to change money???

To stop the cleaning of dirty money. (_;)

Alot of places now set a fixed amount of £'s for a particular exchange rate. I shopped round about 4 weeks ago, most places were doing €1.12 to £....... co-op travel €1.17 to £.....ordered online and collected a couple of hours later. No commision, plus it tells you exactly what your paying/receiving before committing to place order. Great service, straight in and straight out because its already bagged up waiting for you with the invoice

transit

To stop the cleaning of dirty money. (_;)

I thought that initially but that then means pretty much any person going away for a week would require a passport to get money off them

civms47

I use the Halifax clarity credit card for foreign money - look it up on … I use the Halifax clarity credit card for foreign money - look it up on mse, it's better than exchanging currency over the counter....

Just got one, thanks. Won't be bothering much with the currency crooks now.

post office are reputable ive heard

mclovin9091

I thought that initially but that then means pretty much any person going … I thought that initially but that then means pretty much any person going away for a week would require a passport to get money off them

Any person going away for a week and needing foreign money would need a passport anyway, or am I missing something???

As far as I am aware, using a card to pay for currency requires a form of ID, basically to counter money laundering, fraud etc. I've never been asked for ID for currency over the counter when I've been paying in cash. Although this might be required for large amounts.

civms47

Any person going away for a week and needing foreign money would need a … Any person going away for a week and needing foreign money would need a passport anyway, or am I missing something???

Yeah you would, unless you were going to Ireland. My query is why does a travel agent need to see your passport? if you were wanting to launder money then you could probably get hold of a fake passport.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions