Thomas Cook holidays.

Posted 21st Sep
Typical, I bought the holiday for my family of four on this Friday, today Saturday Thomas Cook announces that it’s going down. The package is ATOL protected.
Does anyone has an experience with package holiday cancellations, or return of money incase Thomas goes south?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
They haven't 'gone down' yet.

Do you read the news? It must be the most covered news story and you must have had your head in the sand to have booked with them on Friday.....
"Thomas Cook announces that it’s going down"

Have you got a link to that?
27 Comments
"Thomas Cook announces that it’s going down"

Have you got a link to that?
Are you sure they have actually gone down ? I know they have been deep in the clag for months , particularly over the last week . I haven't seen such an announcement as yet , though sadly I feel its imminent .

Good news for you is that your money is safe .

You booked yesterday .
Edited by: "rogparki" 21st Sep
They haven't 'gone down' yet.

Do you read the news? It must be the most covered news story and you must have had your head in the sand to have booked with them on Friday.....
Thomas cook need £200m to float otherwise they sink.
darecy21/09/2019 16:27

Thomas cook need £200m to float otherwise they sink.

That's been the story all over the news since last Monday , and you booked yesterday .
Edited by: "rogparki" 21st Sep
joyf453621/09/2019 15:37

"Thomas Cook announces that it’s going down"Have you got a link to that?

Holidaymakers scramble to get home as Thomas Cook is on the brink
mol.im/a/7…699
You booked it yesterday!
Ok booked via travel agent, she didn’t mention TC and I forgot to ask who is the main operator.
darecy21/09/2019 17:01

Ok booked via travel agent, she didn’t mention TC and I forgot to ask who i …Ok booked via travel agent, she didn’t mention TC and I forgot to ask who is the main operator.

3 ways to get your money back.

ATOL ,if its a package .
S70 if paid by CC
Travel Insurance .

So you will get your money back (eventually ) - hope the holiday isn't in the near future ?
it is package, so if TC goes down will be ATOL, - best scenario
paid by CC and I have insurance,

holiday is this half term.
all this atol protection mallarky is fine if you have the necessary funds to pay the holiday again coz the refund could take months!
Edited by: "leitchyleck" 21st Sep
I've got an holiday booked in October half term with Thomas Cook Booked last December before they announced there loses a few months back. All booked with Onthebeach and of course have the ATOL certificate etc.. Worse case I'll lose around £100 on what I have spent on transfers, car parking and insurance. Hope if they do go under the whole thing is refunded quickly enough for me to book another but suspect holidays will skyrocket.
Do you not read the news Thomas cook has been in financial trouble for ages, it was only a matter of time before it sunk.
darecy21/09/2019 17:15

it is package, so if TC goes down will be ATOL, - best scenario paid by CC …it is package, so if TC goes down will be ATOL, - best scenario paid by CC and I have insurance, holiday is this half term.

You’ll be lucky to get a refund before Christmas.
cmdr_elito21/09/2019 19:28

They already gone bankrupt in the US.... …They already gone bankrupt in the US.... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/c495f92e-d954-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

At least post something people don't have to subscriube to... lol
cmdr_elito21/09/2019 19:28

They already gone bankrupt in the US.... …They already gone bankrupt in the US.... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/c495f92e-d954-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

Read it again. Not technically announced bankrupt....mind you I dare say they will sadly. Personally they have been far to expensive from N.Ireland and only 15kg luggage without paying alot extra, along with mostly terrible flight times and way to many stores. Along with trying to charge stupid prices for any tours while in resort.

38517059.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Sep
This company is haemorrhaging money, sorry to say it but those who have booked holidays should start making alternative plans before flights get filled up.
cecilmcroberts21/09/2019 19:33

Read it again. Not technically announced bankrupt....mind you I dare say …Read it again. Not technically announced bankrupt....mind you I dare say they will sadly. Personally they have been far to expensive from N.Ireland and only 15kg luggage without paying alot extra, along with mostly terrible flight times and way to many stores. Along with trying to charge stupid prices for any tours while in resort. [Image]

It’s bankruptcy protection, it does allow them to restructure things without creditors suing but the amount of debt vs assets means the company is toast and this is merely a delay tactic in the hope they can get someone with deep pockets to fund the 200mil.

I’d expect an announcement tomorrow or Monday. They owe 1.16 billion and have lost 20% of share price already....
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st Sep
numpty12321/09/2019 16:55

Holidaymakers scramble to get home as Thomas Cook is on the brink …Holidaymakers scramble to get home as Thomas Cook is on the brink https://mol.im/a/7488699

Maybe on the Brink but (at the time of writing) not gone under.
I work for the company responsible for TC website, and all the work has been put on hold, so from my perspective it's not looking promising...
darecy21/09/2019 17:15

it is package, so if TC goes down will be ATOL, - best scenario paid by CC …it is package, so if TC goes down will be ATOL, - best scenario paid by CC and I have insurance, holiday is this half term.

You booked yesterday, they have been on the news since Wednesday/Thursday
It was in the news that they were in trouble last year ffs never mind this year.

Even tui has announced 3 profit warnings this year and sold off 2 German tour operations. Its long term plan is to go online only.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 21st Sep
Sadly they have now gone under - Holidaymakers will get their money back of course , but how long does it take ? especially for those who are booked in the next few weeks and cannot afford to rebook until they get their refund .

Most of all spare a thought for the thousands of staff who as of 2am have lost their jobs .

All in all a very sad event .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants