Groups
    EXPIRED

Thomson duty free illegal deductions

Has anybody here been affected by the triple deductions taken from Thomson while buying duty free. I bought some products on my flight home and when I looked at my bank statement the deduction had been taken 3 times. I contacted Thomson who said they do have a problem and it would be all sorted out in 2 weeks. It's now nearly 2 months and it is still not sorted. Thomson said it affected 100's of people, just wondered if anybody has has any success getting all their money back.

8 Comments

Contact your card provider and they'll help

Not experienced it myself, but if you are saying that Thomsons have debited you three times for one purchase two months ago and have admitted they are in the wrong (in writing?), you are being far too lenient.
    IMO, next step would be a letter to the CEO delivered by RM 'Signed for' giving them two weeks to refund stating you will initiate a small claims court action if they have not done so. Might also want to copy Watchdog.
    Edited by: "Ar460rn" 9th Jul 2014

Original Poster

It's not a large amount which is why I have waited so long, but it's the principal now. Nobody seems to want to take responsibility and you can never talk to anybody who is actually dealing with the problem. I have sent an email to the Finance Director but I suppose it will be ignored like all my previous emails.

Card provider will help especially if you can provide them proof that the admitted overcharging.

as above - card provider will charge back on your request

Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments.

chargebacks cost the merchant money (maybe about £25 each time), so maybe drop them a quick courtesy email saying that they are taking the piddle and to sort it out within 24 hours, and that this situation is unacceptable (you may get some goodwill freebies out of it). if not, then go for the chargeback, safe in the knowledge that they will get punished considerably by their payment provider.

Original Poster

DennisG

chargebacks cost the merchant money (maybe about £25 each time), so maybe … chargebacks cost the merchant money (maybe about £25 each time), so maybe drop them a quick courtesy email saying that they are taking the piddle and to sort it out within 24 hours, and that this situation is unacceptable (you may get some goodwill freebies out of it). if not, then go for the chargeback, safe in the knowledge that they will get punished considerably by their payment provider.

Thanks DennisG, I'll look into that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Valspar paint11
      2. Private Number Plate11
      3. Raspberry pi as router for vpn24
      4. Xbox One Ex HDD Help11

See more discussions