Thoughts on buying an ex-lease car please

Posted 13th Mar
Hi all.

I need some help.

I'm looking at buying a 66 plate Honda civic which has done 65k miles. Has 1 owner and is priced at 8.5k with full dealer service history and clean mot.

I have investigated and it turns out that the owner is a lease company. The car is currently in the midlands but I'm not sure if it's motorway miles or it's been used as a hire car and as such all sorts could be worn.

What are your thoughts? What should I be concerned about?

I've read this but want to know if you have more advice.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/dis…ase

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I'd happily buy a lease car (and I have bought several ex-lease cars with far higher miles) - google the company name to check if hire car or real lease co. condition of the inside is a dead giveaway to how its been treated. Probably done motorway miles and will have been serviced.

Thing to watch on the honda's is failing clutch/dmf especially on the 2.2 diesel. So make sure you test that.
11 Comments
If is 65k miles on an ex lease, I’d not risk it. Even if it was with one client, it could have been a company pool car to be driven by multiple people. Civics aren’t rare cars, there will be more out there.
I wouldn't go for a lease car, so risky getting a clocked car. I'm aware this can happen with any car but people are so eager to get new new new that they will do anything if they cant afford the terms...i.e they will pay for 6 or 8k miles, do 14 and clock it back before service. I was looking before and saw 2014 civics for 6k and less mileage so I'm sure you could get a couple years newer for your budget.
I'd happily buy a lease car (and I have bought several ex-lease cars with far higher miles) - google the company name to check if hire car or real lease co. condition of the inside is a dead giveaway to how its been treated. Probably done motorway miles and will have been serviced.

Thing to watch on the honda's is failing clutch/dmf especially on the 2.2 diesel. So make sure you test that.
colinged13/03/2020 16:16

I wouldn't go for a lease car, so risky getting a clocked car. I'm aware …I wouldn't go for a lease car, so risky getting a clocked car. I'm aware this can happen with any car but people are so eager to get new new new that they will do anything if they cant afford the terms...i.e they will pay for 6 or 8k miles, do 14 and clock it back before service. I was looking before and saw 2014 civics for 6k and less mileage so I'm sure you could get a couple years newer for your budget.

my june 2019 focus lease car has done 2,300 miles and is like new!
leitchyleck14/03/2020 07:57

my june 2019 focus lease car has done 2,300 miles and is like new!

Haha I dont get your point...it is a 2019
Thanks all.

I've decided not to buy it.

I worked out that on average it was doing 50 miles a day

I was told that it had one owner, my thoughts were that if it was a private owner it is highly likely that these were motorway commuting miles and as such there would be minor wear and tear (on clutch/suspension etc).

As I was told that the owner was a leasing company, I thought that it could be either leased to someone like on these deals here, or it was a hire company like hertz etc. With the former, lease deals usually put a limit of 8k ish annually with additional cost per mile. I haven't seen a common lease deal where mileage of 20k per annum is allowed. This leads me to believe it was a hire car and as such no care would have been taken due to people renting it by hour/day and not caring for its mechanical condition on return because, really, "what damage can I do in a day". The problem with this is that over time problems would develop and they cannot pin it on the last user.

This is my non-mechanic assessment and I honestly thank you all for your time and comments.

The search continues.

TBH, the only reason I picked the civic was because it was on this list whatcar.com/new…053 and had good mpg
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 14th Mar
colinged14/03/2020 08:05

Haha I dont get your point...it is a 2019

i was replying to a comment saying not to buy an ex lease car.
leitchyleck14/03/2020 13:03

i was replying to a comment saying not to buy an ex lease car.

Ahh I see, I was meaning in the OPs case with year and mileage...the age of your car would not make me worry, I presume it was a demo then leased since it is June 2019?
My lease cars go back in great condition and well looked after.

If you have a warranty then no problem buying it and Honda's are great cars
markvirgo14/03/2020 20:36

My lease cars go back in great condition and well looked after.If you have …My lease cars go back in great condition and well looked after.If you have a warranty then no problem buying it and Honda's are great cars

Honda only offer 3 year warranty

And trade dealer warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
MadeDixonsCry14/03/2020 20:39

Honda only offer 3 year warranty And trade dealer warranties aren't …Honda only offer 3 year warranty And trade dealer warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Dealer should offer some warranty on the sale of the car 12 months and a 30 day/1000 miles exchange plan.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants