Expired

Thoughts on Fiesta - 1.6TDCI Diesel vs 1.0 Ecoboost Petrol

Found 28th Oct 2014
Just a bit curious really. Currently drive a 1.6 Petrol but looking at downgrading to a Fiesta due to only needing such a small car.

Looked at the 1.6TDCI Diesel and the 1.0 Ecoboost Petrol versions of the Fiesta. 1.0 is apparently the one to go for but unsure with the mileage I do.

I mainly do around 43 miles (21.7 there and back) a day and works out around 130.2 miles a week (possible 140/150 with leisurely traveling). Most of that mileage is dual carriage travelling at constant 60 mph.

Which would suit me better for my use?
Community Updates
AskDieselPetrol
10 Comments
Petrol.

I think general consensus is you need to be doing about 15k a year for extra diesel costs to be worthwhile, and there's a lot to go wrong with modern diesels even if you drive in a way the DPF likes.

The 1.0l petrol ecoboost is surprisingly powerful compared to old 4 cylinder n/a engines.

Edited by: "cootuk2" 28th Oct 2014
I wouldn't want to be doing 60 on a motorway in 1.0l! try going for 1.4 instead or around there
AnnaMak

I wouldn't want to be doing 60 on a motorway in 1.0l! try going for 1.4 … I wouldn't want to be doing 60 on a motorway in 1.0l! try going for 1.4 instead or around there

You would probably be quite surprised by how 'nippy' a modern 1 litre petrol engine can be.

For the OP....

I think the petrol would be more suitable for your needs, in addition generally a petrol is cheaper on the running costs and to purchase. Generally you only benefit from a diesel if you are doing a lot higher mileage than you are.
ipswich78

You would probably be quite surprised by how 'nippy' a modern 1 litre … You would probably be quite surprised by how 'nippy' a modern 1 litre petrol engine can be. For the OP....I think the petrol would be more suitable for your needs, in addition generally a petrol is cheaper on the running costs and to purchase. Generally you only benefit from a diesel if you are doing a lot higher mileage than you are.

I have 1.5 diesel, new and driving it up the motorway, I would prefer a 2.0 personally that I had before work swapped them
AnnaMak

I have 1.5 diesel, new and driving it up the motorway, I would prefer a … I have 1.5 diesel, new and driving it up the motorway, I would prefer a 2.0 personally that I had before work swapped them

A modern 1l petrol could be more powerful than either of those potentially! The Ford Focus range includes a 1 litre petrol engine producing 123bhp.
ipswich78

A modern 1l petrol could be more powerful than either of those … A modern 1l petrol could be more powerful than either of those potentially! The Ford Focus range includes a 1 litre petrol engine producing 123bhp.

I have the 1.5 diesel focus The one I miss is 2.0l Gold tdi, now that is a nice car
Edited by: "AnnaMak" 28th Oct 2014
I don't think it matters how 'nippy' it is. My friend had a 1.0 focus n it was very quick around town.

I'm not sure how comfortable cruising at speed would be though, revs maybe abit high at them speeds causing a decrease in mpg. I'm no expert though
I have a 2.0 golf gt tdi. Great at motorway abit tiring around town though
1.4tsi petrol audi/vw engine is very good,
Agree with norville555 about the VAG engine, great unit

For the OP, as much of your driving is on dual carriageway you won't get the particulate filter issues that afflict small diesels that are confined to the town.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants