Thoughts on New Phones

Found 26th Jan
Thoughts on New Phones

Currently on an extremely ancient iPhone 5 due to upgrade in the next few weeks.
Honetly torn between Samsung S8/iPhone X and Google Pixel 2, any thoughts on which you think may be best for

Value for Money
Phone reliability
Features
Specifications
etc.
Community Updates
AskPhones
14 Comments
Haha! I was still using my iphone 5 aswell up until December when battery gave in. Upgraded to iphone x, but in all honesty its nothing special and abit glitchy at times (not the face ID which has actually been almost perfect in my situation). If you are looking to stick to apple then maybe go for it or possibly 8/ 8+, but consider other phone brands too. I may just sell this come April and get S9, resell value for iphone x is still good but am bored of it now.
Borrow an Android phone and try out the OS. I wouldn’t use anything other than an iPhone as I like the OS and Apple seem to be more privacy-minded than Google.
It's always a hard question to answer, if you're used to the iOS ecosystem, imessage etc, then it might be hard to break away from it, iPhone X just isn't worth it IMO, if you're going for an iPhone go for an 8/8 plus, or just wait until the end of next month when they announce the galaxy S9, a lot of the bigger tech youtubers, such as MKBHD and Unboxtherapy all use Pixel 2 and swear by them, so really, I'd pop into a phone shop with all the phones out and have a play on them and see what you think
lockwoodisbored1 h, 57 m ago

Borrow an Android phone and try out the OS. I wouldn’t use anything other t …Borrow an Android phone and try out the OS. I wouldn’t use anything other than an iPhone as I like the OS and Apple seem to be more privacy-minded than Google.

What government secrets do you keep on your phone ?

All it take is you using Facebook (which always listens) or Google which I bet you use .
Both are flagship phones so I wouldn't consider either to be value for money. You generally don't need to spend anything like that money to get a good phone these days.

Do you specifically want all the cutting edge features, or use something that needs top of the range performance (e.g. low light camera use)? If not then I'd be considering phones around £200.
I'd buy the pixel. Stock android. Get updates. Good camera. S8 is just as good as nothing in it realty. Still.. Go for the pixel
mattsk56 m ago

What government secrets do you keep on your phone ?All it take is you …What government secrets do you keep on your phone ?All it take is you using Facebook (which always listens) or Google which I bet you use .

All of my bank information is on my mobile. If I lost my phone, it’s behind a Secure Enclave, isn’t it? So that would need to be bypassed. And also, set to wipe if failed passcodes are entered.

I’ve heard Android phones are easy to access if found, however that may have changed.

Also, Google makes money selling your personal details - Apple doesn’t. It just charges a fortune for the hardware
iPhone 8 or 8+ avoid the x. There is no finger print sensor meaning you’ll look like an idiot posing to pay for goods using Apple pay.
Personally I would avoid Samsung.

I do not like what they do in terms of all of their own Android changes.

Some people love it. I hate it.

I like Android to be as stock as possible and I would therefore go for the Pixel 2 XL.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves5 h, 44 m ago

Both are flagship phones so I wouldn't consider either to be value for …Both are flagship phones so I wouldn't consider either to be value for money. You generally don't need to spend anything like that money to get a good phone these days.Do you specifically want all the cutting edge features, or use something that needs top of the range performance (e.g. low light camera use)? If not then I'd be considering phones around £200.

I do journalism work so do a lot of live tweeting and reporting which means I need high speed, good battery, good camera all rolled into one phone
Bear in mind that unless you are going for the smaller Pixel 2, all of these phones have a different aspect ratio so some videos may have black bars/stretch things out in full screen (most major apps are optimised but video is generally the main issue). Only thing that really gets to me on my Galaxy S8! The 3.5mm jack is great to have too
Alright mate, I'm after a phone for my nephew who has a Xperia m2 whose screen has stopped working to touch presses on the right hand side and I am looking for a good smartphone for about £100, any recommendations?
Thanks
SS4146 m ago

Alright mate, I'm after a phone for my nephew who has a Xperia m2 whose …Alright mate, I'm after a phone for my nephew who has a Xperia m2 whose screen has stopped working to touch presses on the right hand side and I am looking for a good smartphone for about £100, any recommendations? Thanks

Try envirophone good iPhones second hand.
lockwoodisbored8 h, 54 m ago

All of my bank information is on my mobile. If I lost my phone, it’s b …All of my bank information is on my mobile. If I lost my phone, it’s behind a Secure Enclave, isn’t it? So that would need to be bypassed. And also, set to wipe if failed passcodes are entered.I’ve heard Android phones are easy to access if found, however that may have changed.Also, Google makes money selling your personal details - Apple doesn’t. It just charges a fortune for the hardware

this is the most insane and uneducated comment I have heard

so you say android doesnt have encryption?

PS> what is the browser you use?
what it the search engine you use?
social media?
boy even this website sells usage data

but hey if you believe in any BS apple tells you ...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants