Groups

Thoughts on selling Wii U

Probably a stupid thing to ask as no one can decide for me, but I'm considering offloading my Wii U in favour of a Switch and wanted to see what people thought of the offer I've had on it.

I posted it on eBay to get a feel for what I could get for it and I've been offered £300 for the console, 13 games (including Pokken Tournament, Mario Kart, Splatoon, YWW, Mario Maker etc etc) balance board and a couple of Wii Remotes with Nunchucks.

I'm torn between saving the money for when the Switch drops a bit/a few more games come out and waiting it out and selling closer to when I intend to buy, but do you think I'd be stupid to turn down £300 as it seems a decent offer for an end of life console? I don't want to decline and then not get anywhere near the amount in six months time.

Any opinions welcome!

23 Comments

Dont think the Wii U will depreciate much at all. I would sell the games you dont need and hold onto the console for the games you do play. The Switch at the moment doesnt have near enough the amount of games in variety or quantity as the U.

Banned

Put everything you have into the cex website and see what they offer as that will give you an idea.
    the £300 - fees - delivery could quickly become £250.
    i would be interested to see what cex would offer, also if its towards a switch you could get more by taking a cex voucher and using that towards one.
    *interesting, shame they charge £340 for the switch oO
    Edited by: "willgray" 18th Mar

Wii-U is going to hold it's value.
    The Switch is not going to sell well until it receives a price cut to ~200, which it will in a few months.
    Only games for it outside of Zelda, which is on Wii-U already as a reasonable enough version are games that rely on you being perpetually drunk simpleton to enjoy.
    That's coming from a Wii-U owner who also thinks the Wii-U is awful but the Switch has put everything into perspective.
    Don't swallow the hype and PR.

If you still want a Switch in a few months, you won't be out of pocket.
    Edited by: "robo989" 18th Mar

Original Poster

willgray

Put everything you have into the cex website and see what they offer as … Put everything you have into the cex website and see what they offer as that will give you an idea.the £300 - fees - delivery could quickly become £250.i would be interested to see what cex would offer, also if its towards a switch you could get more by taking a cex voucher and using that towards one.

I made use of a final valuation fee of max £5 on my eBay account so it's only PayPal costs that I'd have to take into consideration, plus I've listed as local pick up only, but I'm guessing I'll have to shave off at least a tenner in PayPal fees.

CeX is shooting out £200 cash and £286 voucher!

axolotly

I made use of a final valuation fee of max £5 on my eBay account so it's … I made use of a final valuation fee of max £5 on my eBay account so it's only PayPal costs that I'd have to take into consideration, plus I've listed as local pick up only, but I'm guessing I'll have to shave off at least a tenner in PayPal fees. CeX is shooting out £200 cash and £286 voucher!

Whatever you do, do not allow someone to pay via Paypal and collect the goods. Biggest mistake you can make

Jefflan22

Whatever you do, do not allow someone to pay via Paypal and collect the … Whatever you do, do not allow someone to pay via Paypal and collect the goods. Biggest mistake you can make

If you offer "collection" in the listing that is absolutely fine.
    In fact it's the most safe way to deal on ebay.
    The buyer has ZERO comeback with PayPal.

If you were stupid enough to not list "collection" in the listing then allow someone to collect who claims they have not received the item...then you are a cretin and deserve to learn a lesson and thus not be a cretin again

Seems this wasn't clear enough - this is for "collection only" listings. ^

Don't do it. The WiiU offers a wide, varied and essential library of games, something the Switch won't for some time yet. Do yourself a favour however, pick up A Breath of the Wild for your WiiU...I'm playing through it currently and it's genuinely mind blowing.

robo989

If you offer "collection" in the listing that is absolutely fine.In fact … If you offer "collection" in the listing that is absolutely fine.In fact it's the most safe way to deal on ebay.The buyer has ZERO comeback with PayPal.If you were stupid enough to not list "collection" in the listing then allow someone to collect who claims they have not received the item...then you are a cretin and deserve to learn a lesson and thus not be a cretin again

What happens when they file a "item not received" claim with paypal and you cannot provide a tracked proof of delivery? Paypal will issue a refund to the buyer 100% of the time.No proof if they collected or not. Only deal with cash if your offering collection on Ebay

Jefflan22

What happens when they file a "item not received" claim with paypal and … What happens when they file a "item not received" claim with paypal and you cannot provide a tracked proof of delivery? Paypal will issue a refund to the buyer 100% of the time.No proof if they collected or not. Only deal with cash if your offering collection on Ebay

They can't file an item not received if it's a collection listing...christ.

robo989

Wii-U is going to hold it's value.The Switch is not going to sell well … Wii-U is going to hold it's value.The Switch is not going to sell well until it receives a price cut to ~200, which it will in a few months.Only games for it outside of Zelda, which is on Wii-U already as a reasonable enough version are games that rely on you being perpetually drunk simpleton to enjoy.That's coming from a Wii-U owner who also thinks the Wii-U is awful but the Switch has put everything into perspective.Don't swallow the hype and PR.If you still want a Switch in a few months, you won't be out of pocket.

​If the switch is gonna be 200 in a few months why would it make sense to retain the Wii u now if it's being offered 300?

Surely the Wii u will be worth less than the switch when it drops to 200

robo989

Wii-U is going to hold it's value.The Switch is not going to sell well … Wii-U is going to hold it's value.The Switch is not going to sell well until it receives a price cut to ~200, which it will in a few months.Only games for it outside of Zelda, which is on Wii-U already as a reasonable enough version are games that rely on you being perpetually drunk simpleton to enjoy.That's coming from a Wii-U owner who also thinks the Wii-U is awful but the Switch has put everything into perspective.Don't swallow the hype and PR.If you still want a Switch in a few months, you won't be out of pocket.

You don't know the Switch will drop in price. The Wii U hardly moved at all in RRP over its life.

robo989

They can't file an item not received if it's a collection … They can't file an item not received if it's a collection listing...christ.

Christ indeed.

Jefflan22

Christ indeed.

That's from 2007
    All the complaints about "collection in person paypal scam" are from years ago.
    Paypal/eBay tightened up this and fixed it completely back in 2014.
    That's why the apparent stream of results on the issue are all dated before then, or after then from the missinformed who haven't realized that PAYPAL DO NOT PROTECT A BUYER WHO PAYS VIA PAYPAL FOR A COLLECTION LISTING.

Are you receiving me?

mtuk1

You don't know the Switch will drop in price. The Wii U hardly moved at … You don't know the Switch will drop in price. The Wii U hardly moved at all in RRP over its life.

Wii-u had a price cut soon after release. It was dead on arrival until then. It then went back up in price and stayed there.

I'd get rid, don't even bother with a Switch until Xmas when some games are available to play.

Just hold onto it. It won't deprecate that much. Heck, even the PS3 is still a minimum of £50 years after the PS4.

I've kept both. wii u for the family, switch for me.

longback2

I've kept both. wii u for the family, switch for me.

Lol ive got a wii u for my kids but they gradually shifting onto my ps4. Probably b about a year until switch is worth getting tbh unless ur desparate for it now

I Picked up a Pre-owned Wii U yesterday for £70 with 2 games, probably is just worth holding on to, unless you're strapped for cash.

I Picked up a Pre-owned Wii U yesterday for £70 with 2 games, probably is just worth holding on to, unless you're strapped for cash.

mr_vickery

I Picked up a Pre-owned Wii U yesterday for £70 with 2 games, probably is … I Picked up a Pre-owned Wii U yesterday for £70 with 2 games, probably is just worth holding on to, unless you're strapped for cash.

​can you repeat that please I didn't quite catch what you said..

mr_vickery

I Picked up a Pre-owned Wii U yesterday for £70 with 2 games, probably is … I Picked up a Pre-owned Wii U yesterday for £70 with 2 games, probably is just worth holding on to, unless you're strapped for cash.

​where did you buy it from? was the gamepad/tablet thing included too? was it in good condition?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery1423
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767427
      3. One for the mathmeticians2236
      4. Story of the day1724

See more discussions