Groups

Thoughts on the following....

I'm interested to see others views or experiences....

I have worked in a job for 3 years which pays well and has excellent t&cs (flexitime, holidays etc) however it was tedious and the company placed little value on staff.
    I have put in my notice to return to my previous job as an environmental consultant, for (slightly) less money and more hours, but I know I'll enjoy what I do.
    So...... Which is more important to you when it comes to work, is it the enjoyment of what you do, or is it the amount you get paid? And has anyone been in a similar situation and taken the same step as me and how did it work out?

25 Comments

I couldn't stay ion a job I disliked for a small amount of money. I once changed companies (same job) for more money and hated it so much I left the position and the industry for good. So much of most peoples lives are spent at work so I believe you have to enjoy it. I'd rather be happy than rich. Then again, both would be better! Good luck with your move.

I don't think money is everything in employment. Why change a job you like for one you don't? Doing a job you enjoy brings satisfaction, and regardless of what others may suggest, money cannot do that in the long term. I'm not saying that money is not important, but that it is not the most important thing (for me) when considering a job.

I Want To Be An Mp
    MONEY FOR NOTHIN AND EXPENSES FOR FREE

raptorcigs;5186573

I Want To Be An Mp

Hi Rappy!

Is that the Military Police or one of the down-and-outs in Westminster?

Predikuesi;5186580

Hi Rappy! :)Is that the Military Police or one of the down-and-outs in … Hi Rappy! :)Is that the Military Police or one of the down-and-outs in Westminster?

I HATE GUNS
    HI PRED I MIGHT ASWEL BE A WESTMINSTER THIEF I DIDDNT KNOW THEY HAD LEGALISED THEFT,WHEN DID THAT LAW GET PASSED?

job satisfaction any day

If A Vote Of No Trust Occurred Shouldn't The Queen Dissolve Parliament?

raptorcigs;5186598

I HATE GUNSHI PRED I MIGHT ASWEL BE A WESTMINSTER THIEF I DIDDNT KNOW … I HATE GUNSHI PRED I MIGHT ASWEL BE A WESTMINSTER THIEF I DIDDNT KNOW THEY HAD LEGALISED THEFT,WHEN DID THAT LAW GET PASSED?

LOL. We need another Cromwell to kick the lot of them out. The whole place is full of liars and thieves.

If you can cover all your ongoing expensives and enjoy a relatively comfortable life, always go for the career that makes you happy (or makes you less unhappy).

Do What The Russians Did

Ha Poling Card Just Arrived

raptorcigs;5186678

Ha Poling Card Just Arrived

http://i44.tinypic.com/29dv96e.jpg

NA MORE LIKE
    http://www.realestatesnippets.com/real_estate_snippets/images/2008/02/26/wastebasket.jpg

I think job satisfaction is the most important - I have taken a huge step back recently while going through some massive changes in my life but I love the job I have now even though the money is alot less I feel far less pressured at work and don't dread getting up in the morning

I say, do a job that you enjoy.

Whats the point of doing anything if you dont enjoy it!

The most important thing is whatever is most essential to you at a given point in time. For some people their present circumstances will dictate that they must go for the money. I have been in that position previously. Obviously if money is no longer the prime factor then job satisfaction is given a higher priority. It makes sense really cos to do something you dislike just for money can lead to unnecessary stress

As long as the move doesn't jeopardise financial health, then job-satisfaction ranks higher than salary imo. Without knowing all the details, I'd say you are making the right choice by moving. I was in a similar situation several years ago and made the mistake of following the money. I still regret it. Gl with it :thumbsup:

raptorcigs;5186598

I HATE GUNSHI PRED I MIGHT ASWEL BE A WESTMINSTER THIEF I DIDDNT KNOW … I HATE GUNSHI PRED I MIGHT ASWEL BE A WESTMINSTER THIEF I DIDDNT KNOW THEY HAD LEGALISED THEFT,WHEN DID THAT LAW GET PASSED?

Think there are a large number of MPs who really cannot be refered to as The Honourable Member of Parliament anymore. Changing the system willl not make any difference IMO. Someone either sets out to cheat or not. :x

Enjoyment and conditions are exceed the importance of money to me. It's simple. Money is something you use to make your life better. It's the only reason there is to work in this welfare state of ours. But if you already surrender the most signficant portion of your life to your job, and you hate that job and the way it makes you feel all the time, what's the point? It's such a waste of your own life to work 40 hours a week, then some more for unpaid overtime, then spend your mornings dreading the start to your work and the evenings trying to wind down and your nights struggling to sleep for all the stress it gives you. It's what turns happy teenagers into such miserable and bitter suits within just a few years, and I think that's tragic.

It depends how it will effect your life.

Ask yourself these questions:

1) Will you be able to cope with the extra hours?
    2) How will it effect your day to day living and social life by having less time to yourself?
    3) Are you able to cover your responsibilities with the lower income ? (otherwise that causes stress in itself)

If you think you can handle it, then definitely go for it because job satisfaction would be amazing for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. :thumbsup:

A shroud has no pockets :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Firstly, Thanks to everyone for their replies, It's often interesting and helpful to get opinions of people who have experienced things.
    I am gonna make the jump, more hours but in a far more enjoyable environment, better to spend 45 hours somewhere you enjoy and can laugh, than 35 hours in a miserable environment.

mattdawes699;5194792

Firstly, Thanks to everyone for their replies, It's often interesting and … Firstly, Thanks to everyone for their replies, It's often interesting and helpful to get opinions of people who have experienced things.I am gonna make the jump, more hours but in a far more enjoyable environment, better to spend 45 hours somewhere you enjoy and can laugh, than 35 hours in a miserable environment.

Congrats mate, I hope you enjoy your new position and hopefully it makes you happier in your day to day life and everyone around you. :thumbsup:

I don't enjoy my work some of the time. I work to provide for my family. I wouldn't take a pay cut if the kids would suffer financially for it. However, I do agree not enough emphasis is placed on personal happiness and satisfaction, just have to do what I have to do to make sure my kids are alright as they come first xx

Original Poster

Financially there isn't a lot in it maybe £100 a month bottom line, but there is more hours ~10 per week, different career path, but there's still a career path there. I'm viewing the drop in £ as short term as once the wife has finished her degree (in about a year) then we should have more coming in anyways.
    The hardest choice was to give up the flexibility that I have, which is what most people here (at work) say to me.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1321
      2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4594775
      3. Any PS4 News Here29313801
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866386

See more discussions