Groups

threatened with debt collectors help !!

had a nighmare subscription with pipex with nothing but cock-ups there end

i have now got letter again from debt collection company threatening me
    they say i owe £271 ??

subscription was £24.99 per month with 3 months free i migrated away as soon as i could because of the shocking customer service

initially they repeatedly charged my card with random amounts @ £40 so i had to cancel the details to stop them

i then set up a new dd and they kept not taking payment for six months despite me phoning weekly to ask why and then threatened to cancel my account if i didnt pay
    so i have a credit card statement for £150

i have statements to prove i actually overpaid pipex by £40 and when they threaten me with court i keep saying go ahead

am i right to refuse ?

they say they will get judgement against me ??

40 Comments

Supermod

You should never so "go ahead".

When they issue a claim against you you will be sent a acknowledgement pack for you to complete. Check what you admit that you owe and what you dispute. They then will not be able to enter default judgment against you have you would have replied. They may attempt to enter default judgment against you but you will then be able to attempt to set that aside.

The most important thing is that you reply to everything as you will be corresponding with the court and not Pipex.

Banned

Are you sure you paid the debt as per your contract, are you sure you cancelled said contract properly.

If you are 100% of the above and have proof, tell the debt collectors the debt is in dispute and any court action will be defended with proof.

Go over to MSE for template letters to the debt collectors and pipex.

They won't take out a court judgement on you. Depending on how you want to play it, either rip up every letter, don't talk to them on the phone, forget about it, or contact them and explain the situation, and say that you want to settle the bill, then haggle for the "best price".
    They should accept a lesser amount to clear the debt but make sure that the debt is clear. (and they have not put a default against you)
    Join Experian free for a month and check your credit...

Banned

If it's an account then chances are it's already showing as a default on your credit file, of some sort, most phone/tv/internet companies do record info on your CRF.

DO NOT presume they won't attempt a CCJ. You need to be able to "defend" it if they do so prepare yourself with proof.

Supermod

rehydrated;8564404

They won't take out a court judgement on you. Depending on how you want … They won't take out a court judgement on you. Depending on how you want to play it, either rip up every letter, don't talk to them on the phone, forget about it, or contact them and explain the situation, and say that you want to settle the bill, then haggle for the "best price". They should accept a lesser amount to clear the debt but make sure that the debt is clear. (and they have not put a default against you)Join Experian free for a month and check your credit...

This is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever heard on here.

OP. DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS.

Banned

magicjay1986;8564428

This is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever heard on here. OP. DO … This is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever heard on here. OP. DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS.

:thumbsup:

They are not going to do a CCJ for less than £300. I got this from the CAB when I was in a similar situation. I told the company I was in dispute with to send the debt collectors round, I will be in all week. Changed my phone number, and address, never heard from them again...That was over 6 years ago, and is NOT showing up on my credit file.

Fear is a great selling point. Tell them to F.O and forget about it :thumbsup:

Supermod

rehydrated;8564435

They are not going to do a CCJ for less than £300. I got this from the … They are not going to do a CCJ for less than £300. I got this from the CAB when I was in a similar situation. I told the company I was in dispute with to send the debt collectors round, I will be in all week. Changed my phone number, and address, never heard from them again...That was over 6 years ago, and is NOT showing up on my credit file.

Why wouldnt then?! I have entered many CCJs against people for about £100.

Banned

rehydrated;8564435

They are not going to do a CCJ for less than £300. I got this from the … They are not going to do a CCJ for less than £300. I got this from the CAB when I was in a similar situation. I told the company I was in dispute with to send the debt collectors round, I will be in all week. Changed my phone number, and address, never heard from them again...That was over 6 years ago, and is NOT showing up on my credit file.

Lol that's terrible advice, after 6 years defaults will drop off, so it won't be showing :roll:.

I have seen companies obtain ccj's for less than £300.

Contact them, tell them you are unemployed, recently been made redundant, whatever, tell them that you want to clear the debt, but can't afford it. Set up a direct debit for £8 a month, sorted. Or ask for the amount they would accept cash to clear the debt.

Supermod

Someone seems to have changed their tune after realising what they said was complete rubbish.

Supermod

tinkerbell28;8564456

Lol that's terrible advice, after 6 years defaults will drop off, so it … Lol that's terrible advice, after 6 years defaults will drop off, so it won't be showing :roll:.I have seen companies obtain ccj's for less than £300.

;-)

Banned

rehydrated;8564465

Contact them, tell them you are unemployed, recently been made redundant, … Contact them, tell them you are unemployed, recently been made redundant, whatever, tell them that you want to clear the debt, but can't afford it. Set up a direct debit for £8 a month, sorted. Or ask for the amount they would accept cash to clear the debt.

Honetly your advice is total crap. I had a relative who was left in really bad debt, through tragic circumstances, debt collectors couldn't give a damn and still entered ccj's for trivial amounts, she ended up bankrupt.

The debt collection agency will want proof of all of the above and still spit on it.

magicjay1986;8564468

Someone seems to have changed their tune after realising what they said … Someone seems to have changed their tune after realising what they said was complete rubbish.

My first post told the OP to haggle and clear the debt. I only added they could set up the minimum payment of £2 a week if they never had a couple of hundred quid. Comprende?

Supermod

rehydrated;8564476

My first post told the OP to haggle and clear the debt. I only added they … My first post told the OP to haggle and clear the debt. I only added they could set up the minimum payment of £2 a week if they never had a couple of hundred quid. Comprende?

You also suggested that they should consider burying their head in the sand and rip up every letter.

tinkerbell28;8564473

Honetly your advice is total crap. I had a relative who was left in … Honetly your advice is total crap. I had a relative who was left in really bad debt, through tragic circumstances, debt collectors couldn't give a damn and still entered ccj's for trivial amounts, she ended up bankrupt.The debt collection agency will want proof of all of the above and still spit on it.

Ok. You want good advice OP. go to the CAB, take all the paperwork, they will contact the company for you. All correspondence will go through them. For less than £300 personally I wouldn't sweat it. Set up minimum DD payments, forget about it.

Banned

magicjay1986;8564482

You also suggested that they should consider burying their head in the … You also suggested that they should consider burying their head in the sand and rip up every letter.

And that they wouldn't ccj for less than £300..........

magicjay1986;8564482

You also suggested that they should consider burying their head in the … You also suggested that they should consider burying their head in the sand and rip up every letter.

Yes, but who in their right mind is going to do that...I was just giving them obvious options, with the best advice on here being, "contact them for a lesser settlement amount". :thumbsup:

rehydrated;8564445

Fear is a great selling point. Tell them to F.O and forget about it … Fear is a great selling point. Tell them to F.O and forget about it :thumbsup:

+1

Supermod

Borat;8564530

+1

Another moronic statement.

magicjay1986;8564544

Another moronic statement.

-1:-D

Original Poster

well i have copys of credit card and bank statements for amounts totalling more than the total demanded is that enough?

it should have been 9 months of 24.99
    they charged my card £39.60 on the 1st month
    £34.99 the next 2 months despite being in a 3 month free period!

and then i had to pay a lump sum of £149.97 because they wouldnt take payment despite phoning every week for six months to tell them they hadn't taken payment again

they are demanding 271

this is the second company to try i told the 1st one to take a hike and never heard anything again this is over 3 years ago

i also have a copy of all the bills from pipex

i have spoken to them on the phone they say it's recorded as a disputed charge and they will send a form for me to provide proof.

but then they just phone or send more letters ???

^^^ Take EVERYTHING to the CAB, let them sort it.

What I'd do (and don't take my advice because I quite enjoy winding up companies!) is dispute the credit card payment with your credit card company, Pipex will get a chargeback and you'll end up with your money back. Then, with this money, use it to pay off the £271.
    You may well end up with your CC company saying Pipex have refused the chargeback, but you'll get a lot of enjoyment from hacking off Pipex
    Seriously though... If you've already paid, or overpaid, what exactly is the £271 for? Is this for your monthly charge or is it fees incurred through them chasing you etc? If it's for your monthly charge, if you can prove you've already paid, they've got no chance of getting a judgement against you!
    In your situation, I would write to the CEO and every senior management figure I could find details of. I've done this with BT, Orange, Three and Next and always got my money back and a profuse apology!

Banned

rehydrated;8564435

You are talking out of your backside.

My credit rating took a hit and I was refused credit over £2.40.

I left NT Hell and rejoined BT. However, a month after doing so, I was sent another bill for line rental and calls for dates I was no longer a customer. I querried and told it was an error and not to worry about it. I had to keep ringing for several months until I was told "we've applied a credit to your account - so nothing to worry about".

About 3 years later, I was buying a 3 piece Leather suite on interest free credit and refused. They have put my name forward as a bad / non paying debtor, despite not owing them a penny.

The worst advice you can possibly give is "ignore"

tinkerbell28;8564456

Lol that's terrible advice, after 6 years defaults will drop off, so it … Lol that's terrible advice, after 6 years defaults will drop off, so it won't be showing :roll:.I have seen companies obtain ccj's for less than £300.

So have I, for £100. Littlewoods show no mercy to anyone.

Techically you do not have to even speak with the debt collection company. The Debt collection company will have to issue a CCJ most likely through the small claims court where you will be able to present your evidence of payment. It is most likely a default will not appear on your credit report since you will be able to contest it since it is currently under dispute. Most debt collection agancies are full of idiots who use pressure to coherse people into paying. If the debt collection company believe they have a good case they will issue proceedings if there is any doubt they will not chance it due to costs. If you have records and statements proving payments then let them take the chance you have nothing to worry about. The chances are if it did go to court a lot of time they are unable to supply all the records anyway. Debt collection agancies deal in fearbecause most of the time that is all they have.

Banned

rehydrated;8564404

They won't take out a court judgement on you. Depending on how you want … They won't take out a court judgement on you. Depending on how you want to play it, either rip up every letter, don't talk to them on the phone, forget about it, or contact them and explain the situation, and say that you want to settle the bill, then haggle for the "best price". They should accept a lesser amount to clear the debt but make sure that the debt is clear. (and they have not put a default against you)Join Experian free for a month and check your credit...

care to explain why he should pay anything when he's said he doesn't owe anything?

OP ask for copies of all statements from the day you joined. You will probably have to do a SAR for them (cost £10) and write to the debt collectors saying you dispuute the debt and want to put the whole account into dispute. You can use a letter like the one below

Data Protection Act 1998Subject Access RequestDear Sir/MadamPlease supply … Data Protection Act 1998Subject Access RequestDear Sir/MadamPlease supply me with all data that you hold on me. This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-1. The original signed, executed credit agreement/s and any terms and conditions that applied to the account/s at the time of default and at the time the account/s was/were opened.2. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with ORIGINAL CREDITOR. - delete or add this depending on whether you are sending this to the original creditor/or a debt collection agency3. True copies of any notice of assignment and default notices or enforcement notice that you/or name of the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.4. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account/s, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date/s they were/ it was added and deleted. (if applicable).5. Details of any collection charges added to the account/s; specifically, the date they were/it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was/charges were calculated, and what the charge covers/charges cover.6. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account/these accounts and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.7. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 19988. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.9. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the agreement/s.10.Termination noticesPLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec)You are reminded that you are obliged to supply all the above documents in line with the Information Commissioners Technical Guidance update (Dated August 2007)I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.Yours faithfully,

Original Poster

newbie1001;8565063

Techically you do not have to even speak with the debt collection … Techically you do not have to even speak with the debt collection company. The Debt collection company will have to issue a CCJ most likely through the small claims court where you will be able to present your evidence of payment. It is most likely a default will not appear on your credit report since you will be able to contest it since it is currently under dispute. Most debt collection agancies are full of idiots who use pressure to coherse people into paying. If the debt collection company believe they have a good case they will issue proceedings if there is any doubt they will not chance it due to costs. If you have records and statements proving payments then let them take the chance you have nothing to worry about. The chances are if it did go to court a lot of time they are unable to supply all the records anyway. Debt collection agancies deal in fearbecause most of the time that is all they have.

i have copies of every invoice from pipex from start to finish
    i have a copy of the credit card statement for £149
    and i have a copy of my bank statement for £39.60,£34.99 and £34.99

the total i could have owed would have been 9x£24.99

i dont know where they have got £271 from and the other debt collection company tried to get £350?

when the 1st company sent me a notice of court proceedings i phoned and asked them to hurry up with the court case as i could provide evidence pipex actually owe me money i never heard from them again .
    now 2 years later ive got this lot chasing me

as for credit rating i couldnt care less

i have no mortgage my house is bought and paid for and i have no loans or intentions of ever getting one

I am having similar issues but with Npower as an old thread said, they claim I owe £55 though I had a prepay meter and was about £50 in credit when I moved out, they sent me letters threating me with court and demanding I pay the £55 right away as well as a admin cost for finding me and when I rang they said they had me down as moving end of December when it was end of August so I reckon the new tenant has just used my electric and rang them up when it ran out to change to their details.

Am getting nowhere with them.

Original Poster

ryouga;8565359

I am having similar issues but with Npower as an old thread said, they … I am having similar issues but with Npower as an old thread said, they claim I owe £55 though I had a prepay meter and was about £50 in credit when I moved out, they sent me letters threating me with court and demanding I pay the £55 right away as well as a admin cost for finding me and when I rang they said they had me down as moving end of December when it was end of August so I reckon the new tenant has just used my electric and rang them up when it ran out to change to their details.Am getting nowhere with them.

i know it's like banging your head against a brick wall

i spent 6 months constantly phoning pipex every time explaining what was happening and always being told it was an error and it had been corrected and all sorted

what they did was revive an old account from 2 years earlier and charge the 3 sums of £30odd to the old account using a long expired debit card ???

they can shove it im not paying anything what concerns me is the threat of bailiffs as we have my partners elderly parents living with us and i dont want them being confronted by a couple of blokes while we are at work

Banned

What DCA is it?

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;8565419

What DCA is it?

they are called roxburghe

Banned

mini0ne;8565410

i know it's like banging your head against a brick wall i spent 6 months … i know it's like banging your head against a brick wall i spent 6 months constantly phoning pipex every time explaining what was happening and always being told it was an error and it had been corrected and all sorted what they did was revive an old account from 2 years earlier and charge the 3 sums of £30odd to the old account using a long expired debit card ???they can shove it im not paying anything what concerns me is the threat of bailiffs as we have my partners elderly parents living with us and i dont want them being confronted by a couple of blokes while we are at work

If it actually comes to a court summons threat, ensure you reply with your own counter claim. I can fully sympathise what you are saying. I had approx 6 months of chasing NTL and thought it was resolved. Fingers crossed.

Whats totally wrong is the fact any company can register a debt regardless of any facts and the agencies will always log it against your credit rating. Its bang out of order!

ryouga;8565359

I am having similar issues but with Npower as an old thread said, they … I am having similar issues but with Npower as an old thread said, they claim I owe £55 though I had a prepay meter and was about £50 in credit when I moved out, they sent me letters threating me with court and demanding I pay the £55 right away as well as a admin cost for finding me and when I rang they said they had me down as moving end of December when it was end of August so I reckon the new tenant has just used my electric and rang them up when it ran out to change to their details.Am getting nowhere with them.

I used to work on the Gas (Debt) Collections side at nPower when I was at college, basically they will argue that it was your responsibility to let them know when you ended your tenancy and you should have provided them with a meter reading when you did. The way to resolve this is to send written proof of the termination of the tenancy at your old address. As it is a meter, they should have records of the reading for this date. Any costs from this date are owed by the new tenants or the landlord. Phone up to resolve it and if you feel you are getting nowhere, ask for the dispute to be escalated immediately and you want to speak to a manager. They cannot refuse this. Also make sure you do not shout or swear or they pretty much put the phone down instantly, making you more prone to shouting and swearing :thumbsup:

Banned

ryouga;8565359

Have you phoned energy watch? First port of call, then the energy ombudsman.

We had an issue with BG, they were sending us bills when A, we were not with BG and B, the person on the bill had never, ever lived at our address, ever.

Banging head against a brick wall, it turns out they had the forwarding address wrong for this guy, we got EW invovled it all stopped.

I then got solicitor demands at my address, BG turned up to disconnect the supply, then realised they were not their meters and phoned the national grid from our propety who verified we were not supplied by them. I then got a letter from my gas/elec company saying my account was switching over to BG! BG tried changing my electric supply and gas supply under this guys name:w00t:

I then got the ombudsman involved who punished them financially and ordered them to pay me costs and compo for ignoring the watchdogs ruling. Energy companies don't know the law they think they are above it.

What is likely to of happened is that debt collectors buy old debts in bulk for a cheap price then chase up the person that "owes" the money doesnt matter if they do or not they just have record of money potentially owed.

Debt collectors have zero powers unless they are solictors, they have just as much power as a member of the general public

I have seen those shows where a debt collector guy goes to someones house and tries to talk person into paying and laying on the guilt and mentioning how the person WILL get a CCJ if not paid.

Debt collectors are just in it to make money

bishibashi;8565443

I used to work on the Gas (Debt) Collections side at nPower when I was at … I used to work on the Gas (Debt) Collections side at nPower when I was at college, basically they will argue that it was your responsibility to let them know when you ended your tenancy and you should have provided them with a meter reading when you did. The way to resolve this is to send written proof of the termination of the tenancy at your old address. As it is a meter, they should have records of the reading for this date. Any costs from this date are owed by the new tenants or the landlord. Phone up to resolve it and if you feel you are getting nowhere, ask for the dispute to be escalated immediately and you want to speak to a manager. They cannot refuse this. Also make sure you do not shout or swear or they pretty much put the phone down instantly, making you more prone to shouting and swearing :thumbsup:

Yeah my friend has a flat and when had issues with it taking too much he rang up an was told they can check the rates on their system and the amounts topped up and when but this was Scottish Power, so why cant Npower do the same!

They did say to get confirmation of new address but problem was I moved out of that property as was there for a few months so have no proof I moved, unless I get something confirming uni start dates but that only covers from end of September) plus the debt collectors wanted paid within 7 days of letter and it has been about 2-3 weeks now.

Original Poster

i just googled this roxburghe lot

lol is all i can say
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial56
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764334
      3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay614
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1326

See more discussions