Three 3G/4G mast outages - no repairs due to Coronavirus?

Posted 26th Apr
First the signal dropped from 4 to 1 bar. Now it's dropped to 1 bar near a window on one side of the house only. I reckon the nearest and 2nd nearest masts are down and I'm getting a signal from a 3rd. Affects 3 different phones in the house. Mobile networks reset tried.

I called Three about the nearest mast and initially they're saying they cannot see a fault. The only impressive thing about Three at the moment is that their Indian call centre staff are taking calls at home (that was obvious from domestic sounds). Apart from that, have Three completely stopped mast maintenance? Are other networks similar?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Telecoms are essential so if there is a fault it will be repaired as soon as
I would be surprised if there were no repairs because that would be definitely classed as essential works. It would be the same as openreach not working.
mtsk26/04/2020 13:14

Telecoms are essential so if there is a fault it will be repaired as soon …Telecoms are essential so if there is a fault it will be repaired as soon as

Exactly this. This work is essential. Fault will be repaired as close to how it would be normally i suspect.
pfagan1026/04/2020 13:28

Exactly this. This work is essential. Fault will be repaired as close to …Exactly this. This work is essential. Fault will be repaired as close to how it would be normally i suspect.

It's just that my most local mast has been down for 2 weeks so if this carries on the data in my contract won't be much use as a backup for WFH if the main internet has an outage. Haven't got much other use for 4G atm.
Sounds exactly like three, theres probably nothing wrong
I have a back up 3 sim in my old dual sim Samsung J5 and that barely gets over 2 bars at the best of times in GSM/2G only. Its been like that for years and I don't exactly live in the back of beyond.
Go nearer mast to see if it works
wayners26/04/2020 14:19

Go nearer mast to see if it works

I live 100m from it and it's 4 bars in the past, zero now, for weeks. Seems abandoned.
harrythefish26/04/2020 13:42

It's just that my most local mast has been down for 2 weeks so if this …It's just that my most local mast has been down for 2 weeks so if this carries on the data in my contract won't be much use as a backup for WFH if the main internet has an outage. Haven't got much other use for 4G atm.

Sorry to hear it’s been so long - and it gets fixed soon!
wayners26/04/2020 14:49

https://istheservicedown.co.uk/status/3-three

That's a useful service. So I compared all 4 mobile operators. Vodafone and o2 seem to have the fewest recent outage complaints, while Three's are reaching fever pitch. Making me wonder, don't the operators have to provide a certain level of coverage reliability to keep their licence?
freakstyler26/04/2020 14:10

I have a back up 3 sim in my old dual sim Samsung J5 and that barely gets …I have a back up 3 sim in my old dual sim Samsung J5 and that barely gets over 2 bars at the best of times in GSM/2G only. Its been like that for years and I don't exactly live in the back of beyond.

Quite impressive that you obtain any 2G coverage from 3 in 2020 as it hasn't supported 2G for a number of years, and when it did it was via Orange or some similar legacy network.
AndyRoyd26/04/2020 17:23

Quite impressive that you obtain any 2G coverage from 3 in 2020 as it …Quite impressive that you obtain any 2G coverage from 3 in 2020 as it hasn't supported 2G for a number of years, and when it did it was via Orange or some similar legacy network.

When I visited the Isle of Skye some years back, there seemed to be 2G Three coverage piggy backing off another network, but no data whatsoever. Maybe there a few spots in the UK still like this.
AndyRoyd26/04/2020 17:23

Quite impressive that you obtain any 2G coverage from 3 in 2020 as it …Quite impressive that you obtain any 2G coverage from 3 in 2020 as it hasn't supported 2G for a number of years, and when it did it was via Orange or some similar legacy network.

"hasn't supported 2G for a number of years" ?? You were saying.....

40547564-pYtdX.jpg
However, I did find out the 3 sim works better in sim slot 1 than sim slot 2 - I now get pretty good coverage.
freakstyler26/04/2020 19:49

"hasn't supported 2G for a number of years" ?? You were …"hasn't supported 2G for a number of years" ?? You were saying.....[Image] However, I did find out the 3 sim works better in sim slot 1 than sim slot 2 - I now get pretty good coverage.

Yes: not supported. It may function but it is not supported.
freakstyler26/04/2020 19:49

...However, I did find out the 3 sim works better in sim slot 1 than sim …...However, I did find out the 3 sim works better in sim slot 1 than sim slot 2 - I now get pretty good coverage.

Works better in other SIM slot as the other slot is the 3G / 4G slot, so accessing the usual cellular services provided by 3.
This separation of 2G / 3G-or-above slots in dual SIM hardware is / was common practice.
support.three.co.uk/SRV…48)
AndyRoyd26/04/2020 20:13

Yes: not supported. It may function but it is not supported.

Yeah, but you said that you were impressed by me obtaining 2G 3 coverage in 2020 as it hasn't been supported for years insinuating that I was telling fibs, just admit you were wrong
freakstyler26/04/2020 21:00

Yeah, but you said that you were impressed by me obtaining 2G 3 coverage …Yeah, but you said that you were impressed by me obtaining 2G 3 coverage in 2020 as it hasn't been supported for years insinuating that I was telling fibs, just admit you were wrong

I admit I was wrong in presuming the confused reader would understand.
AndyRoyd26/04/2020 21:02

I admit I was wrong in presuming the confused reader would understand.

apology graciously accepted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions