Groups

Three Mobile hack affected 76,000 more customers than thought

Editor
    I know this happened originally last year, but more affected so felt it best to share. Probably goes without saying now, but make sure you use unique passwords/details and 2 Factor Authentication whenever possible! (_;)

http://i.imgur.com/xsHcMXa.png?1

(Via The Telegraph)

Three Mobile has said that 76,373 more customers were affected in the data breach revealed by the Telegraph last year.

The figure brings the total number of people whose information was compromised by cyber criminals to 210,200, up 57 per cent on the company's initial estimates.

Fraudsters managed to gain access to the upgrade database in Three's computer system, which included the names, phone numbers, addresses, dates of births, payment method and some email addresses of hundreds of thousands of customers.

Criminals allegedly accessed the database using stolen login details from Three employees. They used information from the system to trick the mobile company into sending them high-end upgrade handsets meant for customers to an address where they could intercept them.

Although the attackers didn't have access to financial details or passwords, Three warned customers that the information gleaned could be used for further scams, such as phishing attacks.

"We ask customers to be cautious about anyone contacting them," it said. "As always, customers should never give out any banking information."

The company has contacted affected customers and said it will deal with requests to terminate contracts on a case by case basis.

The network advised concerned customers to call 333 on a Three mobile phone or 0333 338 1001 from another phone to get more information about the breach and whether their details may have been accessed.

24 Comments

When last year was this data breach?

Original Poster Editor

J4GG4

When last year was this data breach?

Original article is here

I didn't hear about this breach..can u tell more information as I'm still with 3 oO

msmyth

Original article is here

​thanx

msmyth

Original article is here:)

Lucky escape then i think as i signed up to three on the 26th Nov.

I've just jumped ship from Vodafone to Three, so far this last week 3 mast went down so no signal, now this lol.

I received a letter today to say I had been effected!

I got a text saying I was affected.

Not a massive deal really, no passwords, bank details or pin numbers were obtained. Looks like it was just a scam to sell on new handsets fraudulently.

I'm not too concerned, moving on...
    Edited by: "jaypr" 15th Mar

I got a letter from them.

Apparently they got name, dob, address, number etc.

Hopefully they can't really do anything.. except sending me **** emails that are obviously fake.

shauneco

I've just jumped ship from Vodafone to Three, so far this last week 3 … I've just jumped ship from Vodafone to Three, so far this last week 3 mast went down so no signal, now this lol.

Jump now lawdonut.co.uk/bus…ing

jaypr

I got a text saying I was affected.Not a massive deal really, no … I got a text saying I was affected.Not a massive deal really, no passwords, bank details or pin numbers were obtained. Looks like it was just a scam to sell on new handsets fraudulently. I'm not too concerned, moving on...

You took their word on that ? X) X)

SorJai

I got a letter from them.Apparently they got name, dob, address, number … I got a letter from them.Apparently they got name, dob, address, number etc.Hopefully they can't really do anything.. except sending me **** emails that are obviously fake.

Apply for credit in your name using your name, DOB & last address for a credit search for a new phone, credit card etc..

seaniboy

You took their word on that ? X)X)

What do you suggest? Seems like the damage has already been done.

Conflicting information:
    ---
    ...Fraudsters managed to gain access to the upgrade database in Three's computer system, which included the names, phone numbers, addresses, dates of births, payment method and some email addresses of hundreds of thousands of customers...

...Although the attackers didn't have access to financial details or passwords,...
    ---

seaniboy

Apply for credit in your name using your name, DOB & last address for a … Apply for credit in your name using your name, DOB & last address for a credit search for a new phone, credit card etc..

Should be fine.. I believe they need to know where I lived in the past 5-10 years?

And I've moved a few years ago, the letter even came to my parent's house - instead of mine.

Soooo, good luck to them!

Bluefusion

I received a letter today to say I had been effected!

Sounds painful!

SorJai

Should be fine.. I believe they need to know where I lived in the past … Should be fine.. I believe they need to know where I lived in the past 5-10 years?And I've moved a few years ago, the letter even came to my parent's house - instead of mine.Soooo, good luck to them!

Not at all, the last address will link all your previous credit files, and addresses INCLUDING your parents address so you may put them at risk, some computer CREDIT systems don't link and think the connection if you say lived there 6 years at last address it will just connect to that address and show "yes credit file all good" not "hold on these dates don't all match up SorJai " and credit is offered. You best signing up for FREE Clearscore & Noddle credit accounts and getting alerts about application/searches on your accounts. Safe over sorry.

seaniboy

Not at all, the last address will link all your previous credit files, … Not at all, the last address will link all your previous credit files, and addresses INCLUDING your parents address so you may put them at risk, some computer CREDIT systems don't link and think the connection if you say lived there 6 years at last address it will just connect to that address and show "yes credit file all good" not "hold on these dates don't all match up SorJai " and credit is offered. You best signing up for FREE Clearscore & Noddle credit accounts and getting alerts about application/searches on your accounts. Safe over sorry.

Ah thanks, yeah, I'll probably take your advice.

I just done a check on Experian's free one? Creditmatcher? Says my score went up by 100+, but again - I should probably put alerts up.

fanpages

Conflicting information:---...Fraudsters managed to gain access to the … Conflicting information:---...Fraudsters managed to gain access to the upgrade database in Three's computer system, which included the names, phone numbers, addresses, dates of births, payment method and some email addresses of hundreds of thousands of customers......Although the attackers didn't have access to financial details or passwords,...---

Payment method, not payment details, so if you pay by DD or card not the actual numbers needed to use your card or bank details. I agree though poorly worded by a outsourced third party at 3UK India call centre set up.

SorJai

Ah thanks, yeah, I'll probably take your advice.I just done a check on … Ah thanks, yeah, I'll probably take your advice.I just done a check on Experian's free one? Creditmatcher? Says my score went up by 100+, but again - I should probably put alerts up.

Do them all and set alerts - some run on the back of Experian or Equifax but there are a few more NEW independents the last few years set up that rely on their own systems.

seaniboy

Do them all and set alerts - some run on the back of Experian or Equifax … Do them all and set alerts - some run on the back of Experian or Equifax but there are a few more NEW independents the last few years set up that rely on their own systems.

Pain in the butt I know but you don't want to find out months later someone got a Very account with a £1000 credit limit and destroyed your credit file. Its not easy to sort out, takes months upon months and sometimes years - credit card companies are known to take years to remove files as they investigate & investigate to ensure it was fraud.

Why I also went with PlusNet Mobile, they use EE backhaul and all details are UK based, Vodafone went through the same as Three for years after UK based third party customer care companies went offshore, since o2 transferred customer care to Capita in a £1 billion deal they have had the same problem, yet EE with UK based care don't have this issue of dodgy practice in years since pulling T-Mobile & Orange customer bases back into the UK, they had and pulled offshore. It costs telcos a fortune - probably outweighs the cost savings of third party customer care these days.

What a company will send you in the event of a databreach. hi madam your only details they have obtained were your name, d.o.b, email address. We can assure no other details have been taken however As a precaution we advise to change your pin and keep an eye on your transactions.

What they actually mean.

They have gained enough to make a clone out of you. Get your bottoms off, cancel your bank cards and change your pins/passwords.

MR1123

What a company will send you in the event of a databreach. hi madam your … What a company will send you in the event of a databreach. hi madam your only details they have obtained were your name, d.o.b, email address. We can assure no other details have been taken however As a precaution we advise to change your pin and keep an eye on your transactions.What they actually mean.They have gained enough to make a clone out of you. Get your bottoms off, cancel your bank cards and change your pins/passwords.

THIS^
    You are like a dog on a bone! X)

I got a letter from 3 last week saying I had been affected and I had loads of crap with my cards being used and bank trouble so cheers 3!! Could ave informed customers a lot sooner
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay512
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1326
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1015
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764333

See more discussions